Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2021, 06:07 PM   #681
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

When I was hired in my current role and when we hire, we ask the candidates to come in with a pitch ready.

We don't really listen to the pitch as much as if the candidate pays attention to the instructions.

Anyway I'm sure every company is different with these extra tasks, but maybe some of them are about the process the candidate uses more than the result.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 06:40 PM   #682
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Is the pitch relevant to the role though?

I really believe that a lot of the new ideas in recruiting like Video's and like ATS can sometimes create a miss in terms of candidate hiring because it doesn't take intangibles into account.

I also think that there are too many interviews happening, some companies are doing 5 or 6 interviews, it muddles the process.

But that's just me.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2021, 08:41 PM   #683
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Is the pitch relevant to the role though?
I really believe that a lot of the new ideas in recruiting like Video's and like ATS can sometimes create a miss in terms of candidate hiring because it doesn't take intangibles into account.
I also think that there are too many interviews happening, some companies are doing 5 or 6 interviews, it muddles the process.
But that's just me.

I'd suggest that for 98.573% of roles going beyond 3 interviews doesn't add value. Personally I think if a company needs 5-6+ interviews then their process and decision makers are the problem. Why would I want to work in that madness?
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2021, 09:21 PM   #684
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My previous position had asked me to come back for a 4th interview. I politely declined mentioned I think they had all they needed. I ended up getting the job, but may not be the next approach.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2021, 09:35 PM   #685
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had one role I applied for a couple years ago where they asked for a quick 30 second video. I think it was either an elevator pitch or describe yourself. Since it was a remote opportunity, posted on an international site, I figured they asked the question for language/communication purposes.

I also agree on the interview front. Maybe 2 official ones for a full time role after the initial recruiter triage. One behavioural/technical and then one fit interview. For contract one and done.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2021, 07:41 AM   #686
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
I think talking down to someone is a super condescending thing to do, regardless of the situation. I would never do that.

I don't think he meant talking down to someone as though they were ignorant.

I think he means try not to use a lot of industry jargon, acronyms, or unrelatable examples. I don't think every HR person is going to go to the trouble to learn all jargon or nuances of every occupation they interview for, that's all "inside baseball".

I also think one should not try to use every 14 letter word in the dictionary.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:54 AM   #687
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm into month 11 of the job search. It's getting a bit depressing and I am trying to keep my spirits up (Flames playing better would go a long way, but I digress).

What is really bothering me now is that people in my network are sending me job ads that have nothing to do with my background - "hey, surely you could do this job!" One friend sent me an ad for manager of detailing shop at a car dealership !?!? I have zero background in cars, dealerships, or detailing (car washes??) WHY?? - This is clearly a case of polite thanks, but no thanks,

Any advice on applying to jobs that list requirements which I do not have, but seem unnecessary?

For example, my skills match the description, but in the qualifications portion they list at the top "University degree in Business, marketing, oor communications". I have a degree, but not in any of those (Medieval Spanish Conquistador poetry).

Should I bother applying knowing my CV will get flagged right away?

Thanks!
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 08:01 AM   #688
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
I'm into month 11 of the job search. It's getting a bit depressing and I am trying to keep my spirits up (Flames playing better would go a long way, but I digress).

What is really bothering me now is that people in my network are sending me job ads that have nothing to do with my background - "hey, surely you could do this job!" One friend sent me an ad for manager of detailing shop at a car dealership !?!? I have zero background in cars, dealerships, or detailing (car washes??) WHY?? - This is clearly a case of polite thanks, but no thanks,

Any advice on applying to jobs that list requirements which I do not have, but seem unnecessary?

For example, my skills match the description, but in the qualifications portion they list at the top "University degree in Business, marketing, oor communications". I have a degree, but not in any of those (Medieval Spanish Conquistador poetry).

Should I bother applying knowing my CV will get flagged right away?

Thanks!

I tend to highlight the key skills they are looking for and show them how my experience matches those. I will usually only focus on 3-4 of the skills that I have the best match, conveniently leaving out the one where I am not a match

If the degree is a big thing, you could indicate that you have a degree but not provide more info in the cover letter (something like: Bachelors degree with 5 years experience)

Hope that helps
ah123 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ah123 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2021, 08:59 AM   #689
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I finally got a video interview for one of the positions I've been applying for and it was quite the experience.

It gave me 30s to read the question then had a 4min record time.

I think I did okay for my first time but upon reflection I'll do better if I get another one.

If I had any tips for a video interview with read questions it would be to ignore the timer. Upon review I ended up circling back and attempting to expand on my initial points to fill in more time, which felt sloppy.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:02 AM   #690
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

We did use audio first interviews on one of the roles that I was working on, where the system would ask a question and give them a couple of hours to answer.

I wouldn't do it for more complex positions, but mid and lower, maybe, but its not really effective as far as I'm concerned. I get the why, they're getting so many applications and this is a position where we've hired like 100 people. But its just goofy, and after listening to basically the same answer over and over again is mind numbing.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:06 AM   #691
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve had similar BR. I’ve had a couple people with the best intentions send me postings that don’t work. The job description wants someone bilingual and no, my Sesame Street French won’t count.

Education requirements bug me somewhat as I know amazing people who could run rings around an MBA but they may only have a Phys Ed degree. I also think after a certain number of years your degree is of limited importance.

What I’ve been doing over the past few months is augmenting my experience with some specific courses. LinkedIn Learning has a number of really good courses, many of which either give you the foundation to write the certification test or give you a certificate at completion which is added to your profile and you can download. Some of the courses are the equivalent of a 3 day or 5 day program that are expensive on their own. On LinkedIn you can often get your first trial month free or I think it’s around $40 for a month. You can grind through a bunch or courses in a month as they aren’t all multi-day, many are around 3 hours. There are other online education providers with really good programs too. LinkedIn is nice because of brand recognition and because the courses can be added to your profile automagically and then “promoted” to your network.

You’d then have a bit more meat to add to your resume and could state in a cover letter or interview you have a BA, x years experience, and directly applicable courses in x y z.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2021, 11:18 AM   #692
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

If anybody is looking for an entry level IT position (helpdesk, infrastructure, & operations side) in corporate downtown with a lot of latitude to expand up to Tier II/III and more advanced responsibilities if they have the aptitude and passion (or certs) for it, feel free to PM me.

I've been running my interviews via Zoom and I've found that it has actually been more effective than in-person. Interviewees seem to feel more relaxed without the physical presence and the conversation and pace is more natural.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 02-18-2021 at 11:21 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2021, 11:38 AM   #693
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Just a statistical addon, I was talking to a contact that is with one of the major startup groups that does preflight education. out of the 100 that attended, 37 are out of work right now.

Old 02-22-2021, 01:26 PM   #694
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Am at new job... clearly expected to be available for FT+ hours, but on PT arrangement plus being held responsible for previous critical decisions and not allowed to influence current position, nor to address bullying by client. Several teammembers already threatening to walk from project. Schedule is already unattainable and not possible to throw more bodies at it. WTF. Boss's view is they can't lose this client... but they may instead lose critical project members and mega-fail on project anyways.
Help.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:33 PM   #695
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

As Steve Tyler said

“RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY! RUU UUUN AWAAAYAYYAAAAYAYAAA”

That sounds like a bad scene. Projects that are doomed from the start are no fun.

Old 02-23-2021, 09:01 PM   #696
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
As Steve Tyler said
“RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY! RUU UUUN AWAAAYAYYAAAAYAYAAA”
That sounds like a bad scene. Projects that are doomed from the start are no fun.
Yah not so easy when jobs are like unicorns right now, got bills to pay, and being on pogey doesn't cover even close to monthly burn rate.

Well we seem to have narrowly averted mutiny and major project implosion. Took some good strategy sessions between El Presidente and myself, plus a good listening-to of the internal grievances, plus some thick skin. Just gotta keep it all together. That said... if another opportunity comes up I'll have to fairly evaluate it.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 02:57 PM   #697
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/pande...-do-riva-gold/

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 03:14 PM   #698
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Just talked to a friend, he's been out of work since April, with very few opportunities. A lot of really senior people are applying for junior or mid level roles, and willing to take the pay cut. Make sure in your interviews if you're competing with that, that you find a way to emphasize the concept of loyalty and how excited you are by that job description. Senior guys taking junior or mid roles does not and never will indicate long term loyalty.
also tough to be an older person looking for work. there is a lot of ageism in the workplace, especially when it comes to a non professional job.

you'd think more companies would be cool with a person in their 50's who can put in a good 10-15 years and are likely to be more loyal and dependable than a young person.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:26 PM   #699
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Ageism is a huge thing, you can really find out if you're going to be a victim of it by asking probing questions around the company culture.

Old 03-01-2021, 05:00 PM   #700
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm in the 45-50 age group and have sensed some agism during my searching. I was not expecting this and it was disheartening. After one interview and getting at least a phone call that I was not successful they said I was a leading candidate however could not offer me the rate and rather than undercut me they went with another person. I'm like... WTF you didn't give me a chance? As it was in the interview I'd even clarified that total comp is more than just an hourly rate.