Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2021, 01:06 PM   #1141
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
I feel somewhat bad for Ward in this situation. I wonder if the notion of keeping him on as an assistant was discussed at all? He was minding his own business as an assistant last year when everything came off the rails with Peters suddenly, was thrust in to the top job, and just couldn’t quite make it work (add the pandemic in with all of that as well). Now, he’s out on the street.

Seems like a somewhat abnormal trajectory by which he’s found himself unemployed - I too hope he can find a decent gig.

I’m sure Ward is a pro but that would be another elephant in the room, demoting him and keeping him around
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:11 PM   #1142
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
I feel somewhat bad for Ward in this situation. I wonder if the notion of keeping him on as an assistant was discussed at all? He was minding his own business as an assistant last year when everything came off the rails with Peters suddenly, was thrust in to the top job, and just couldn’t quite make it work (add the pandemic in with all of that as well). Now, he’s out on the street.

Seems like a somewhat abnormal trajectory by which he’s found himself unemployed - I too hope he can find a decent gig.
Too awkward to keep him. Plus Treliving was saying he didn’t keep the players accountable.

I feel bad for how it went down but I’m sure he will be an AC somewhere. Plus he’s getting $1.8m for coaching less than half a season.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:36 PM   #1143
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

It didn't work out, and I felt he deserved to be fired, but I definitely feel for the guy. Came into a tough situation and actually had the team working well last year. I think we beat Dallas if Tkachuk wasn't hurt.

I really wonder how much of that success was based on Peters though. The fact that he is a crappy human being and racist aside, Peters had the team playing well, and even though they struggled out of the gate in 2019-20, I still felt he was a really good head coach. With Ward running his first training camp this year, it certainly seemed like the first opportunity to introduce his own system and own methods wasn't conducive to success with this group. Wish him the best, perhaps the Oilers can hire him and have a full trio of Flames ex head coaches as assistants.

Interestingly enough, Ward has the 6th highest winning percentage as coach of the Flames, and 3rd best playoff record. He'll be back in the NHL as an assistant soon.

Last edited by the-rasta-masta; 03-05-2021 at 01:39 PM.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:56 PM   #1144
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Feel bad for Geoff. Never like to see a good guy lose his job. I 100% blame the players. They took advantage of another player’s coach and coasted. Now they’ve reaped what they sowed, this group will be tested. They’ll find out a lot about themselves with a coach like Darryl. Just the intensity and fear from his glare alone is enough for some of these guys to crap themselves. Good luck to Ward, he’s a good coach, good teacher and a smart hockey guy. Hope he finds a way to get back on his feet with another organization.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 03:32 PM   #1145
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Never want to see anyone lose their job. I'm glad he got a 2 year deal and he has a good chunk of pay to help him into his next role. I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't an assistant somewhere when next season starts.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Infinit47 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2021, 03:39 PM   #1146
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hope he gets a run like Rick Bowness someday.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 03:48 PM   #1147
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
The truth of the matter is that this organization refuses to pay for top-tier coaching.
So glad we can put this to rest now.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chummer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2021, 05:01 PM   #1148
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
So glad we can put this to rest now.

We all are.

I am glad it is now not true
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:04 PM   #1149
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think Ward’s a good coach. But this team lacks good veteran leadership and needs a serious kick in the butt. Ward isn’t the kind of coach to do that unfortunately.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:09 PM   #1150
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will forever be baffled as to how he got the job in the first place. After that playoff debacle against Dallas he should have never been given the job.

It's like Treliving was turned down by all the proven coaches that were available and so he just said F it, let's stick with the guy we know for now and hope for the best.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote