Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2024, 05:34 PM   #61
Eb0la11
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I fear he may be one of those involved in the Team Canada events. I had feared it for a while now. Still only speculation but if he is connected he could be having mental health concerns thinking about jail time. Even if he wasn’t involved that would be a thought going through all those players heads even if they were guilty through association and not directly connected with their actions on that night.
Eb0la11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eb0la11 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2024, 05:56 PM   #62
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hope Dubes gets the help he needs. Read some post some jerk wrote about how there "must be something in the water" with multiple payers taking time off for mental health issues. I see it as the opposite. Good on the Flames organization for creating an environment where players can bring this issue to the organization and have the support they need.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 05:57 PM   #63
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
It makes sense. That Team Canada thing must be a huge distraction and cause of stress. Lots of speculation and uncertainty and it just drags on and on.
That’s what I figured it was about. Not sure why it’s taking so long. Even for players that weren’t involved it must be a big weight.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 06:10 PM   #64
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Hope Dubes gets the help he needs. Read some post some jerk wrote about how there "must be something in the water" with multiple payers taking time off for mental health issues. I see it as the opposite. Good on the Flames organization for creating an environment where players can bring this issue to the organization and have the support they need.
I agree, though I'm torn whether or not seeking help for mental health should be made public. There is still a stigma towards mental health and I don't want people to be too shy to come forward to get help. But maybe it being public will make it better in the long run for kids (knowing their heroes sought help).
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 06:15 PM   #65
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh ffs..

Other organizations need to follow in the Flames footsteps in this regard. They're setting a great example and dissolving the stigma as it pertains to mental health and sports by treating mental health issues the same as a physical injury that needs care and rehabbing.

Interesting how in Alberta you have two teams showcasing opposite qualities with how they've run their organizations. Proud to be on this side of the fence with the quality of people and decisions being made.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2024, 06:28 PM   #66
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The magnitude of the stupidity is staggering
All In Good Time is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to All In Good Time For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2024, 09:46 PM   #67
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Oh I assume this is just the Flames clearing cap space and he'll recover for game one of the playoffs

...or is that just something we get to assume every time someone from another team goes on player assistance or reports an injury?
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 09:50 PM   #68
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
Oh I assume this is just the Flames clearing cap space and he'll recover for game one of the playoffs

...or is that just something we get to assume every time someone from another team goes on player assistance or reports an injury?
..no wonder you were put in exile.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 10:20 PM   #69
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post

That strategy only works with good players
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 10:22 PM   #70
Pekkerhead
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Strange how news like this brings out the best in some people and the worst in others. I hope he’s ok and gets the help he needs.
Pekkerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Pekkerhead For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2024, 04:12 AM   #71
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Best wishes to Dube.

He has been awful this year on the ice, and I doubt he'd disagree with that. He's paid to produce and he hasn't been able to do that. The on-ice struggles, as well as any potential ramifications from the London incident, are obviously weighing on him.

Of course, there could be more going on in his personal life.
Old 01-22-2024, 04:14 AM   #72
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

As for any suggestions the players give a crap about what's posted on these boards, come on. I'd be very surprised athletes who are mentally strong enough to make the NHL care about John Smith's opinion of their play.
Old 01-22-2024, 06:24 AM   #73
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_calderon View Post
Best wishes to Dube.
Fixed your post.

Just be supportive, or don’t and say nothing.

Wishing the guy well to say in the very next sentence ‘he’s been awful this year’ doesn’t really come across as sincere, does it?

Would you say that to a family member or friend? ‘Hey man, good to see you’ve taken the important step to getting some help because I’ve really noticed that you’ve really been dog sh*t lately. I keep hearing that your work has plummeted and frankly it’s a surprise they continue to pay you. Oh, and that police investigation, that’s got to be worrisome, no? Anyway, chin up pal’.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 06:39 AM   #74
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Dube is paid to produce points as a forward on an NHL team. He has 7 points this year, adjusted to 13 points over an 82-game season. This is professional sport, not beer league Monday night hockey.

He could be the nicest guy in the world, I don't know. I've read multiple times he has taken new members of the squad under his wing and welcomed them to the city, I commend him for this. He's had the courage to admit he has a problem, again this is praiseworthy and I can empathise with mental health struggles.

If he's not putting up points, however, I will acknowledge that as it's what he is paid millions of dollars to do. Your 'say something nice or don't say anything at all' logic is preposterous.

Last edited by cam_calderon; 01-22-2024 at 06:42 AM.
cam_calderon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 06:41 AM   #75
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As for any suggestions the players give a crap about what's posted on these boards, come on. I'd be very surprised athletes who are mentally strong enough to make the NHL care about John Smith's opinion of their play.
You’d be wrong. Of course pro athletes care about what people think. And who knows how “mentally strong” anyone else is? And it’s not just them. Their parents, their kids and other relatives read this board.

No one is saying “don’t be critical”. But there’s a lot of “X is garbage”, “get rid of X”, comments around here. Plus the speculation about players’ activities. And there’s a time and place for the criticism. This isn’t the “How’s Dube been playing” thread.

Last edited by GioforPM; 01-22-2024 at 06:43 AM.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2024, 06:49 AM   #76
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
You’d be wrong. Of course pro athletes care about what people think. And who knows how “mentally strong” anyone else is? And it’s not just them. Their parents, their kids and other relatives read this board.

No one is saying “don’t be critical”. But there’s a lot of “X is garbage”, “get rid of X”, comments around here. Plus the speculation about players’ activities. And there’s a time and place for the criticism. This isn’t the “How’s Dube been playing” thread.
As I said, to toil through the junior ranks and CHL, AHL, Europe etc, unless you're a bona fide star from day dot like a Bedard, takes a hell of a lot of resiliency. Some mean words on a forum from an anonymous avatar do not affect these guys - or, at least, they shouldn't.

Last edited by cam_calderon; 01-22-2024 at 06:54 AM.
cam_calderon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 06:51 AM   #77
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1025392838576488449

Does anyone remember this? I'm pretty sure Brouwer survived this ordeal, even if that headline was perhaps a step too far.
Old 01-22-2024, 07:00 AM   #78
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1025392838576488449

Does anyone remember this? I'm pretty sure Brouwer survived this ordeal, even if that headline was perhaps a step too far.
Hope you’re not suggesting the Calgary Sun is the litmus test for proper behaviour. Yikes.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 07:03 AM   #79
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Hope you’re not suggesting the Calgary Sun is the litmus test for proper behaviour. Yikes.
I certainly am not. But in contrast to our little corner of the internet here on CP, the Sun is a prominent paper and there's no way Brouwer didn't see that headline and article. And he moved on, because media criticism is a part of being a pro in the NHL.
Old 01-22-2024, 07:12 AM   #80
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As I said, to toil through the junior ranks and CHL, AHL, Europe etc, unless you're a bona fide star from day dot like a Bedard, takes a hell of a lot of resiliency. Some mean words on a forum from an anonymous avatar do not affect these guys - or, at least, they shouldn't.
“He’s gotta be tough to have made the NHL so I can say whatever I want”. meanwhile there’s such a thing as a Players Assistance Program.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote