Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2018, 03:24 PM   #41
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensonchuong View Post
I edited out councilor because people are assuming he's the one that complained. I was merely just giving a context of where I lived.

My parents live here, those rebuilt engines are vehicles on our driveway. We sold their previous vehicles. Some one is usually not home or I'll park the vehicle I'm working on in the garage when I'm working on it. We have ample street parking there's room for 3 cars in front of my house on the street.

With 6 vehicles that's 12 tire swaps a year (spring and winter), plus 2-3 oil changes per year per vehicle. My uncles comes 3-4 times a year (2 oil changes and 2 tire swaps).

The key is here is by-law is fine I do work on my 6 vehicles, but since my uncles doesn't live here it's not allowed with out a licence.
The way you stated it made it seem like you were hinting the councilor was the reason for the bylaw visit.

I am aware that it's ok for you to work on the 6 cars you own, I am saying I get why your neighbours are annoyed and thing you are running a business. Between your cars and your 'family' cars there would be a lot of work. You seem like you would work on friends cars too, no?

You also said you park 2 in the garage and 4 on the driveway, now you're changing that to you have ample street parking, so I'm guessing you don't park 4 on your driveway and park on the street?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:30 PM   #42
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

The only reason that it is more auto work "than the average person" is because people are dolts who don't know how to work on their own machines anymore.

Who cares if it is 2 cars, 4 cars or ten. Its his driveway, he can spend his time in it as he pleases. People get so wound up these days over what their neighbours should/shouldn't be doing its crazy.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2018, 03:31 PM   #43
bensonchuong
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
The way you stated it made it seem like you were hinting the councilor was the reason for the bylaw visit.

I am aware that it's ok for you to work on the 6 cars you own, I am saying I get why your neighbours are annoyed and thing you are running a business. Between your cars and your 'family' cars there would be a lot of work. You seem like you would work on friends cars too, no?

You also said you park 2 in the garage and 4 on the driveway, now you're changing that to you have ample street parking, so I'm guessing you don't park 4 on your driveway and park on the street?
I'm saying I have room to park one car on the street for the 2 hours when i'm doing an oil change.
bensonchuong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:36 PM   #44
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
The only reason that it is more auto work "than the average person" is because people are dolts who don't know how to work on their own machines anymore.

Who cares if it is 2 cars, 4 cars or ten. Its his driveway, he can spend his time in it as he pleases. People get so wound up these days over what their neighbours should/shouldn't be doing its crazy.
Firstly, the reason he does more work than most people is because 6 cars are registered at the house. 6 Cars is more than more people own. Secondly, just because people don't work on their cars doesn't make them 'dolts'. These 'dolts' keep handy non-dolts employed by taking their cars to them to have them fixed.

Likely his neighbours care? Obviously bylaw cares. If he wants to work on his cars go nuts, maybe it'll be annoying to his neighbours maybe it won't. Follow the noise and this business bylaw and he can't get in trouble.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:37 PM   #45
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know with my extra money I buy depreciating assets like cars. Because 2 ain't enough.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:40 PM   #46
bensonchuong
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I know with my extra money I buy depreciating assets like cars. Because 2 ain't enough.
5 people live here and we have have to work in remote areas, so driving is a must.
bensonchuong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:41 PM   #47
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensonchuong View Post
I'm saying I have room to park one car on the street for the 2 hours when i'm doing an oil change.
I'm betting if this is actually the case no one would complain.

They are likely complaining because you have a bunch of cars that you work on that makes it look like you're running a business and by the wording of the bylaw you got dinged.

Even you have to admit you are working on a lot of cars, enough to the point it could look like you run a business out of your garage.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2018, 03:44 PM   #48
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The increase in traffic is such a crock. Any yahoo can turn their house into an Air BnB, which in my experience creates far more random traffic than someone doing some side work. My neighbour has a double garage, yet the entire corner is full of constant visitors, half of whom park in front of my other elderly neighbours residence.
If the complaint is about noise, or fumes, or whatever that’s one thing, and entirely different than requiring a business license due to a bogus traffic increase expense.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:52 PM   #49
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Depends what car you're buying...
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2018, 04:00 PM   #50
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm betting if this is actually the case no one would complain.

They are likely complaining because you have a bunch of cars that you work on that makes it look like you're running a business and by the wording of the bylaw you got dinged.

Even you have to admit you are working on a lot of cars, enough to the point it could look like you run a business out of your garage.
Seriously. If you owned 2 and 1 came over here and there, then I bet there's no issue. Right now you have at least 7....7! cars you're actively working on, you might as well have a Kal Tire sign out front.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:04 PM   #51
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

How does one get an engine into the basement.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:05 PM   #52
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
How does one get an engine into the basement.
The stairs. Duh.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2018, 04:22 PM   #53
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Offer the councillor free oil changes and tire changes.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:44 PM   #54
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unless you were running air tools reqlly late into the evening and leaving dirty parts around the front yard I really don't see any issue here.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2018, 07:44 PM   #55
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

By the time bylaw officers get around to investigating a dispute between neighbours, in my experience things are already pretty bad along the street because it means everyone is past the point of trying to resolve differences amongst themselves - likely because stuff has been going on for years.

Rarely if ever are these sort of disputes simply because of one or an isolated set of circumstances.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:04 PM   #56
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Firstly, the reason he does more work than most people is because 6 cars are registered at the house. 6 Cars is more than more people own.

Yeah but so what? Some people own more fish tanks than others, some have more japanese sex dolls, some have more movies and some have more cars. Honestly I don't see a problem here.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2018, 09:01 PM   #57
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
Yeah but so what? Some people own more fish tanks than others, some have more japanese sex dolls, some have more movies and some have more cars. Honestly I don't see a problem here.
Optics.

He has 6 registered cars and works on them frequently it sounds like. When a couple extra cars for family/friends show up maybe his neighbours are already a little annoyed with the amount of work being done and report it.

If he had 2 or 3 cars of his own, and also another 2 or 3 family cars maybe people don’t care.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:05 PM   #58
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

6 or so cars, rebuilding engines several times per year, family members coming over for oil changes and tire swaps.....awesome. This hardly sounds like a garage at all.

Folks may collect other stuff, but when you have this much action happening on the outside of your house, folks are bound to get prickly.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:36 PM   #59
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
This hardly sounds like a garage at all.
If you are the neighbourhood busybody then you're already dialing at four cars.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:59 PM   #60
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
6 or so cars, rebuilding engines several times per year, family members coming over for oil changes and tire swaps.....awesome. This hardly sounds like a garage at all.

Folks may collect other stuff, but when you have this much action happening on the outside of your house, folks are bound to get prickly.
By my count, 8 vehicles get worked on, 4-6 times per year each. That's about 48 service jobs per year, not including any major work (which also seems to be happening). That's almost a job per week on a car. I can see how that might attract negative attention. An early how people might think there was an actual unlicensed home business going on.

Part of this , of course, is that back when I grew up, garages were all facing the alley so this kind of stuff wasn't a big deal. Guys worked on cars all the time.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote