Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2018, 01:56 PM   #621
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Deserved result, Switzerland were very solid, outside the final siege Brazil didn't produce many dangerous chances.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:59 PM   #622
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

another awesome result. Love this WC so far!
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 01:59 PM   #623
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Of course there's 5 minutes lmao. Jesus Brazil always gets insane decisions and little nudges from the refs every world cup. I'm actually pleasantly stunned there hasn't been a bogus penalty like they got vs Croatia 4 years ago.
Ended up being 6 and a half.

What happened? They started so well with their passing and movement and then it all just evaporated. Its like they ran out of steam.

And Neymar was ridiculously selfish all game long. Not making good passes, taking every free kick.

Sorry Neymar, but Coutinho is at least as good as you at dead-balls if not better.

Credit the Swiss though, they stayed resolute and organized the whole time.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:04 PM   #624
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brazil was so poor today, very disappointed with how they looked so disorganized after the goal. Neymar was holding the ball on for too long and he looked the most off I’ve seen him in a while. Many changes need to be made and Firmino needs to start, Jesus was just not linking up at all. Credit to the Swiss, they took their chance and defended well. Good wake up call for beazil
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:41 PM   #625
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

5 mins stoppage was too much, then they added over a minute to that as well. That last corner should not have taken place.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:56 PM   #626
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

The bookies must have made a killing today.

The casual world soccer fan bet on Germany. Then doubled down on Brazil.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 03:20 PM   #627
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hummels saying basically the same thing I did.

Quote:
"Mexico deserved the win. Our cover was often not good and we were left many times with just Jerome [Boateng] and myself at the back," centre-back Hummels said.

"We were warned days ago [in the warm-up games]. We played exactly like we did against Saudi Arabia [when Germany won 2-1], only against a better opponent. That's why the first half was like it was and Mexico obviously deserved to win it."

Germany were exposed by Mexico's counter-attacking, and if the Mexicans had been more accurate with their final pass they would not have had to endure a tense finale.

"If seven or eight players are attacking then it is clear that our attacking power is greater," said Hummels. "But that is something that I have often talked about internally. It does not always bear fruit.
http://www.espn.com/soccer/germany/s...o-mats-hummels

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2018, 03:21 PM   #628
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pogba stripped of game-winning goal.

Quote:
Paul Pogba has been stripped of France's winning goal in Saturday's 2-1 Group C victory over Australia in Kazan,
http://www.espn.com/soccer/france/st...ehich-own-goal

I think they awarded it to Harry Kane.

Old 06-17-2018, 05:23 PM   #629
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
The casual world soccer fan bet on Germany. Then doubled down on Brazil.
You can just call me by name next time....
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:44 PM   #630
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

Umm this doesnt sound like things are going well inside the german camp

But that is something that I have often talked about internally. It does not always bear fruit.

Cant have hummels calling out the coaching staff like that

Im wondering if low relying too much on German form over form this season hurt too much, it is fixable, but khedira hasnt been the same player since the knee injury, gortzka should be beside kroos

Kroos also has to realize he needs to track back, casemiro and modric arent there like for madrid

I saw ozil get a ton of hate but i thought he actually played better than most, draxler passing every once in a while would have helped, and I swear i saw werner on the teamsheet..... not on the field

I dont know if id go extreme changes yet, but reus needs on the field, hes only german attacking mid who can dribble at a defense while running
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:22 PM   #631
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

One thing that was odd about the Brazil game was that there was a Swiss foul on the corner and it was clearly caught on camera, the swiss forward knocked the Brazilian defender down and then headed the ball into the net.

Why would they not review that? It seems a very arbitrary decision as to wether they go to the VAR booth.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:26 PM   #632
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote from French dive team member Lucas Hernandez. F you.

Quote:
Sometimes I exaggerate, but that's all part of the spectacle... it also helps to take more time when you are winning
Old 06-17-2018, 06:43 PM   #633
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
One thing that was odd about the Brazil game was that there was a Swiss foul on the corner and it was clearly caught on camera, the swiss forward knocked the Brazilian defender down and then headed the ball into the net.

Why would they not review that? It seems a very arbitrary decision as to wether they go to the VAR booth.
He didn't knock the defender down but did push him. VAR must have deemed it to be not enough of a push.

And people wonder why players dive. If Miranda had flamboyantly thrown himself to the ground in agony it might saved his team a goal.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:13 PM   #634
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
He didn't knock the defender down but did push him. VAR must have deemed it to be not enough of a push.

And people wonder why players dive. If Miranda had flamboyantly thrown himself to the ground in agony it might saved his team a goal.
Eh it is what it is. They’ve never used it before and no one knows the protocol, at least I don’t. He was pushed no doubt but Allison should’ve been off his line faster.

Brasil was dumb to take off Casemiro who was playing a great game and Paulinho could not of been more useless. Hopefully Fred and Costa come in next game but this is a stubborn coach so who knows. Brasil rightfully getting ripped to shreds by Brazilian media, we will see if this is a team that can play through adversity or crumble in the next few games.

My biggest worry is Neymar, he played terribly and his typical runs were not working and he didn’t seem to have the explosiveness as he usually has. He also made some terrible decisions and showed signs of selfishness. Coutinho should’ve been taking more free kicks especially after his goal. Coutinho should of been utilized better in the second half, espeicially when it was clearly evident Neymar was very much off. Very perplexing the way Brazil played after his goal, almost like all their energy evaporated.

Last edited by Beninho; 06-17-2018 at 08:24 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:57 PM   #635
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

After watching that Mexico-Germany match, I’m totally switching my rooting interest to Mexico. That counter attack was fun to watch. And after reading that French diving quote, I’m switching my hated team from England to France. How did I overlook those surrender monkeys in the first place.

So, go Belgium and Mexico, and boo France.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:09 PM   #636
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Late to the party but extremely worried for my Germans

Italy won in 06 and was eliminated in group stage in 10
Spain won in 10 and was eliminated in group stage in 14
Same with France in 98-02.

Gotta beat Sweden and Korea or we join that "club"

Also, pretty cool that the Swiss kept up with the favorites, but I doubt Brazil is okay with that result

Hoping for Belgium and England wins tomorrow, as well as a tie in Sweden-Korea
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:10 PM   #637
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

Kimmich looked like a striker... they gotta clean up their mess in the back
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:34 PM   #638
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Eh it is what it is. They’ve never used it before and no one knows the protocol, at least I don’t. He was pushed no doubt but Allison should’ve been off his line faster.

Brasil was dumb to take off Casemiro who was playing a great game and Paulinho could not of been more useless. Hopefully Fred and Costa come in next game but this is a stubborn coach so who knows. Brasil rightfully getting ripped to shreds by Brazilian media, we will see if this is a team that can play through adversity or crumble in the next few games.

My biggest worry is Neymar, he played terribly and his typical runs were not working and he didn’t seem to have the explosiveness as he usually has. He also made some terrible decisions and showed signs of selfishness. Coutinho should’ve been taking more free kicks especially after his goal. Coutinho should of been utilized better in the second half, espeicially when it was clearly evident Neymar was very much off. Very perplexing the way Brazil played after his goal, almost like all their energy evaporated.
Is Fred healthy? I was reading he might not play at all..
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:43 AM   #639
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I'm awake!

Goooooo KOOOOOOREEA!

Old 06-18-2018, 05:45 AM   #640
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Spygate!

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.busi...ey-swap-2018-6

Quote:
South Korea's World Cup team responded to spying by the Swedish team by swapping their jerseys so that Sweden couldn't tell them apart.

Tags
cry for argentina , diving , it's not coming home , orange slices , var is no good