Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2017, 10:11 AM   #81
Boxman
Farm Team Player

Exp:

It would be good to have some way to measure the noise levels in the Dome. It's easier to improve when you can measure improvement.
Boxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:41 AM   #82
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Yeah, it's not just a Flames or a sports thing. Calgary entertainment audiences are just really passive. In Hard Core Logo, the Calgary audience is described by the band as bovine and placid. I can't count the number of times when a band has invited a Calgary audience to get up off off their feet and dance of show some emotion, and when a smattering of people get up they're shushed and told to sit down by the people behind them.

People in this city treat live entertainment events like they're watching them on TV in the comfort of their home. And yes, it probably has something to do with being an affluent and white-collar town, and the reserve and self-consciousness that goes with it. For all the "wild west" cliches, this is in reality a very nerdy city.
Thanked for the Hard Core Logo reference.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:56 PM   #83
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
I could not have a more polar opposite opinion.

IMO, this is the type of mindset that plagues sports in North America. Fans choose to only react to the play instead of trying to influence the play. People have to be told to “MAKE SOME NOISE” rather than simply doing it themselves. What you get as a result is what we saw on Friday night, a home crowd completely devoid of atmosphere for large portions of the game. The loudest the building got prior to overtime was when the decibel meter came on, and when the Wings tied the game.

And this has nothing to do with the sport, but rather the difference in cultures between Europe and North America. It’s about supporting your club throughout the entire game, not just when they make a big play. It’s about intimidating the opponent when they come into your arena, not having opposing supporters drown you out in your arena (see Oilers, Canucks, Leafs, Habs games). Soccer, basketball, hockey, supporters of these sports all have the same mentality.

Here are some good examples of the atmosphere in the SEL. Would you rather be in this crowd, or in a silent one listening to some ######bag talk about how drunk he got on his golf trip in Phoenix?
How much did those Swedes pay for their tickets?

Charge high prices, and the only people that can afford to go are dickbags who fly to Phoenix for golf, and regular people thinking "I paid $500 for these tickets, I'm going to watch every second of this game".

Personally I love the noise, but I'm not much of a noise maker myself. Maybe if they allowed drums or something?
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:41 PM   #84
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeper View Post
How about a bunch of us getting one of these?

https://www.amazon.ca/Primos-918-Moo...rds=moose+call
DO IT! And while we're at it, when did cowbells at Flames games stop being a thing? I mean, they sell them at the FanAttic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempuki View Post
How much did those Swedes pay for their tickets?

Charge high prices, and the only people that can afford to go are dickbags who fly to Phoenix for golf, and regular people thinking "I paid $500 for these tickets, I'm going to watch every second of this game".

Personally I love the noise, but I'm not much of a noise maker myself. Maybe if they allowed drums or something?
No arguments from me here. I think the atmosphere is a by-product of ticket prices.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:50 PM   #85
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the easiest way to get some traction with this is to have a dedicated section where people like myself who want to sing, chant, drum, use moose calls, etc can stand together and do so without fear or getting yelled at or having beer thrown at them.

Ideally somewhere like the top 10 rows of 204-205 or something, but I imagine press level would be more palatable to Flames management. Charge reasonable ticket prices and let people do their thing. You know, actually having fun at games instead of spending the game watching it on their smartphone. And it would be the responsibility of the supporters to do this while being respectful of other patrons at the same time.

In fact, the Senators started something similar a few years ago called Red Scarf Union. This is EXACTLY what the Flames need to do if they want to get some atmosphere back at the Saddledome.

https://www.nhl.com/senators/tickets...porter-section

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2017, 03:56 PM   #86
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think the easiest way to get some traction with this is to have a dedicated section where people like myself who want to sing, chant, drum, use moose calls, etc can stand together and do so without fear or getting yelled at or having beer thrown at them.

Ideally somewhere like the top 10 rows of 204-205 or something, but I imagine press level would be more palatable to Flames management. Charge reasonable ticket prices and let people do their thing. You know, actually having fun at games instead of spending the game watching it on their smartphone. And it would be the responsibility of the supporters to do this while being respectful of other patrons at the same time.

In fact, the Senators started something similar a few years ago called Red Scarf Union. This is EXACTLY what the Flames need to do if they want to get some atmosphere back at the Saddledome.

https://www.nhl.com/senators/tickets...porter-section
This is what Europe does well - whether it's Hockey or Soccer.

The supporters sections generates most of the noise and chants. The rest of the fans can then chime in and join in if they want but it all starts in the supporters sections.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2017, 08:26 AM   #87
Neeper
Official CP Photographer

Exp:

Quote:
DO IT! And while we're at it, when did cowbells at Flames games stop being a thing? I mean, they sell them at the FanAttic....

No arguments from me here. I think the atmosphere is a by-product of ticket prices.
I have my playoff cowbell from 2004 still .

I will totally get this Moose caller but I don't want to be the only one!
Neeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:41 AM   #88
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

God, no cowbells please. There's a reason they don't allow them in kid hockey any more.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:08 AM   #89
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gioforpm View Post
god, no cowbells please. There's a reason they don't allow them in kid hockey any more.

Last edited by sempuki; 03-07-2017 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Needs more cowbell
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sempuki For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2017, 03:00 PM   #90
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempuki View Post
I'm assuming that was Ferrell. I should have clarified. More cowbell in bands = always. Just not in arenas.

I had a nightmare in TimBits where some old lady rang one every time there was a goal in a little half-ice tournament. With no goalies.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:51 PM   #91
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've always wanted to ask the Flames if these were allowed:

https://www.amazon.com/Vestil-SIREN-.../dp/B0027YKHVE

Just never got around to it. I remember Crown Surplus used to sell them. I tend to procrastinate, but this just might be the year...maybe...if I get around to it.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:02 PM   #92
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2017, 04:04 PM   #93
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
This is what Europe does well - whether it's Hockey or Soccer.

The supporters sections generates most of the noise and chants. The rest of the fans can then chime in and join in if they want but it all starts in the supporters sections.
Supporters clubs usually get cheaper tickets and work with the club pretty heavily to organize it all. On top of that, Euro Soccer league season tickets are vastly cheaper than NHL prices (less games and more seats, adjusted for the amount of games they're closer) so going to every Man United home game will cost you less overall and be easier to manage than trying to go to every single Flames game.

It still would be awesome to see the Flames do something like that but the NHL is a family league. Supporters clubs are the rowdiest and most vulgar fans in the stadium usually. They also travel to every game so part of the reason for the rowdiness is to make sure you're louder than the away fans. I don't think we'd see much of that here outside of the games against Canadian teams.

Last edited by polak; 03-07-2017 at 04:09 PM.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:10 PM   #94
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is "supporters clubs" the PC way of saying European Hooligans that are more interested in drinking and fighting (and therefore creating a crap tone of noise) then actually watching the game / match?

Honestly asking, don't really know.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:20 PM   #95
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
Is "supporters clubs" the PC way of saying European Hooligans that are more interested in drinking and fighting (and therefore creating a crap tone of noise) then actually watching the game / match?

Drinking? Yes.

Fighting? No but there is that element in those clubs. Like I said the supporter clubs actually liaise with the team and believe it or not there aren't hooligan fights at every soccer match.

But if you walk into a big group of supporters and start talking s**t you'll probably have a bad day.

For the most part they just organize chants and and come fully decked out in gear with flags and banners.
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2017, 04:21 PM   #96
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post

Sort of. I think the good (noise) comes with the bad (party animals who just showed up to drink and fight and don't watch the game).

As much as I agree with some posters that a supporters section that encouraged noise and chants would be cool, part of me thinks it would only promote hooliganism and fanaticism comparable to europe, something all NA sports leagues have thankfully managed to (mostly) avoid up to this point.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:30 PM   #97
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Sort of. I think the good (noise) comes with the bad (party animals who just showed up to drink and fight and don't watch the game).

As much as I agree with some posters that a supporters section that encouraged noise and chants would be cool, part of me thinks it would only promote hooliganism and fanaticism comparable to europe, something all NA sports leagues have thankfully managed to (mostly) avoid up to this point.
Very fair, and probably true. I'll admit, for me all noise doesn't equal positive impact on my experience, but a loud building the right way really adds to my experience.

For example, while I don't cheer for the Habs, when watching them play the occasions their fan base gets into the "singing and chanting" with the Ole and stuff, that does nothing for me. But a loud building that is constantly reacting to the action on the ice with cheers and gasps, loud outbursts during a goal or big hit, and well timed go blank go chants that match up the flow of the play, that's the best.

I personally would hate the NHL environment to be turned into the sing songy chanting you get at european events, even if it didn't come with the violence, but that's just my personal preference.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2017, 04:42 PM   #98
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I've always wanted to ask the Flames if these were allowed:

https://www.amazon.com/Vestil-SIREN-.../dp/B0027YKHVE

Just never got around to it. I remember Crown Surplus used to sell them. I tend to procrastinate, but this just might be the year...maybe...if I get around to it.
Likely not. Per the Saddledome FAQ page:

Quote:
AIR HORNS, WHISTLES, NOISEMAKERS & LASER POINTERS:
For the comfort and safety of all patrons, laser pointers, air horns and other mechanically enhanced noisemakers are not permitted in the Scotiabank Saddledome.
http://www.scotiabanksaddledome.com/...dledome/?ID=55
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:42 PM   #99
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Personally not a fan of the sing-songy stuff either. Some nitwits were singing the Ole song at the end of the Redwings game and it is absolutely cringeworthy, unless the game is actually out of hand.

Fact is, the Saddledome has always been relatively quiet, unless the game is truly exciting. Playoff hockey was awesome, way back to the Canada Cup (87? Can't recall off hand, but OT game) was perhaps the best game I ever attended. Even the previously mentioned Redwings game was really alive in OT. Just not for the plodding 2nd and 3rd periods.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:16 PM   #100
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

And that's why it's quiet.

The appetite just isn't there.