Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-13-2016, 07:29 AM   #1201
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I thought part of the point of not showing the battle was to make us wonder if it was really Aryia or the Waif who came out alive, and that maybe it wasn't Aryia going home, but the Waif wearing Aryia's face. Since no one else is saying this, I guess I am way off base.
Everyone seemed to be overestimating the complexity of her storyline in the last two episodes already.

While the show is still enjoyable, it does feel like everything is becoming more rushed and shallow, with less meaningful tension and development. Arya's storyline was like that. Although the show created some tension with the direction and creating cliff hangers with her, if all her recent parts were strung together they would seem awfully direct and almost formulaic.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:38 AM   #1202
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I thought part of the point of not showing the battle was to make us wonder if it was really Aryia or the Waif who came out alive, and that maybe it wasn't Aryia going home, but the Waif wearing Aryia's face. Since no one else is saying this, I guess I am way off base.
It is possible! However, my opinion would be that even if this is GoT, to much time has been spent on her storyline for that conclusion, and the Waif is loyal to the faceless men. But, still possible!
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:17 AM   #1203
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thought all of Aryas scenes were horrible and poorly written. Seriously we had Robert Baratheon get killed by the infection from a boar wound and Khal Drogo killed by infection on what amounted to a knick across the chest (realistic) and then we have Arya crazy stabbed several times in the gut with a knife twist and somehow she has no infection after she takes a swim in dirty dirty Bravoosi water? Somehow a self-taught stabby actress can heal wounds better than modern medicine?

On top of that while she is running away from T-1000 she jumps off a third story balcony, rolls down five flights of stairs and can still somehow fight? And the faceless men are just going to let Arya go now? What was the point of the last three seasons?
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2016, 08:26 AM   #1204
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

And what the crap is with the Tully soldiers? They were under siege for years. Captured Lord shows up after and he can just order everyone to surrender under duress?

Edmure is such a useless coward too. You going to give up your entire castle, lands/titles, and condemn all your subjects/soldiers families because Jamie Lannister is threatening to kill your child? This is a kid you've never met before and whose grandfather murdered a bunch of your troops and family. Almost Dorne levels of bad writing. Such a waste, could have been done so much better.

Last edited by FlameOn; 06-13-2016 at 09:24 AM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:30 AM   #1205
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Thought all of Aryas scenes were horrible and poorly written. Seriously we had Robert Baratheon get killed by the infection from a boar wound and Khal Drogo killed by infection on what amounted to a knick across the chest (realistic) and then we have Arya crazy stabbed several times in the gut with a knife twist and somehow she has no infection after she takes a swim in dirty dirty Bravoosi water? Somehow a self-taught stabby actress can heal wounds better than modern medicine?

On top of that while she is running away from T-1000 she jumps off a third story balcony, rolls down five flights of stairs and can still somehow fight? And the faceless men are just going to let Arya go now? What was the point of the last three seasons?
The holy water in the House of Black & white is a bit silly as well. Instant healing of all wounds. Just make sure you let the bath tub know you're "No one" before taking a dip or it will kill you.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:37 AM   #1206
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
My guess is that there's a massive cache of Wildfire under the Great Sept.

When Jaime told Brienne about killing the King, he mentioned that the Mad King had Wildfire stashed all over the city and was calling for it to be ignited when Jaime killed him. One of the locations mentioned was under the Great Sept. If he told Brienne that story, he certainly told Cersei too.

In Bran's vision, he saw a large amount of Wildfire being ignited, and that was one of the few shots in that vision that we haven't already seen on the show.
I was thinking that too, but didn't Tyrion use it all up in the Battle of Blackwater Bay when Stannis attacked Kings Landing?

I had a couple of the questions after watching the episode. Why was there no consequence for zombie Mountain killing one of the Faith Militant? And what Varys' secret mission? Is he going to find the Iron Born? What about Dorne? How many ships do the sand snakes have?
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:38 AM   #1207
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really hope the last couple episodes are good. This season feels short on overall progression. A lot of stuff to wrap up in 18-20 episodes if there is only 2 seasons after this one.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:39 AM   #1208
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Really hope the last couple episodes are good. This season feels short on overall progression. A lot of stuff to wrap up in 18-20 episodes if there is only 2 seasons after this one.
a lot more has happened this season than last
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2016, 08:49 AM   #1209
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
I was thinking that too, but didn't Tyrion use it all up in the Battle of Blackwater Bay when Stannis attacked Kings Landing?

I had a couple of the questions after watching the episode. Why was there no consequence for zombie Mountain killing one of the Faith Militant? And what Varys' secret mission? Is he going to find the Iron Born? What about Dorne? How many ships do the sand snakes have?
The response was there, it was just more diplomatic. Make Cersei unable to use him as a nominated fighter.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:51 AM   #1210
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
And what the crap is with the Tully soldiers? They were under siege for years and captured Lord shows up after and he can just order everyone to surrender under duress?

Edmure is such a useless coward too. You going to give up your entire castle, lands/titles, and condemn all your subjects/soldiers families because Jamie Lannister is threatening to kill your child? This is a kid you've never met before and whose grandfather murdered a bunch of your troops and family? Such a waste. Almost Dorne levels of bad writing.

Those Tully soldiers likely didn't want to die for Blackfish's home. Make no mistake, they were going to lose that siege.

Who knows what deal Edmure struck with Jamie.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:51 AM   #1211
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I said earlier the wrapping up of mythology is always less satisfying than the creation of it. You either have loose ends like how the many faced God works or poorly explained myth and ritual.

The chase scene was over done but over all I liked the resolution of Arya realizing she can't give up her past through the use of the play. A little Hamlet tossed in there.

As for the faceless man he got his face that was owed to the wall. This storyline allowed Arya to become a trained swordsmen who now can impact the happenings of Westoros.

I loved the hound scenes. He gets new boots at the end. The hound as part of the brotherhood will be neat. The Jaime scenes again were fantastic with the nuance of what motivates him as a character and his version of honour and Briennes version of honour. They are both the same, unrelenting service to who they are pledged to.

I think this show is quite easy to wrap up, Denaryous makes it across the Sea to take Westoros from a disorganized King's Landing. Then makes her way North for John and denaryous to ride Dragons and torch the white walkers, buddy going to the citadel figures out John's true heritage but not before Denaryous and John hook up. Leaving the show starting and ending with brother and sisters banging.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:57 AM   #1212
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

"You're #### at dying." Thank Jeebus the Hound is back. What a great exchange.

And double thanks for the T-1000 reference. That's exactly what I thought during that scene.

Knowing that they probably blew the budget on next week makes the Blackfish and Waif's off-screen deaths acceptable. They had to save some cash and set the place for the final episode given that it looks like next week is reserved solely for the north. And it looks like we are going to get a 60 minute and 69 minute episode respectively.

It is a little frustrating that Arya's storyline took so long to get where we all knew it was going, although I am happy that this is a launching pad for her return to the real story.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:58 AM   #1213
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
As I said earlier the wrapping up of mythology is always less satisfying than the creation of it. You either have loose ends like how the many faced God works or poorly explained myth and ritual.

The chase scene was over done but over all I liked the resolution of Arya realizing she can't give up her past through the use of the play. A little Hamlet tossed in there.

As for the faceless man he got his face that was owed to the wall. This storyline allowed Arya to become a trained swordsmen who now can impact the happenings of Westoros.

I loved the hound scenes. He gets new boots at the end. The hound as part of the brotherhood will be neat. The Jaime scenes again were fantastic with the nuance of what motivates him as a character and his version of honour and Briennes version of honour. They are both the same, unrelenting service to who they are pledged to.

I think this show is quite easy to wrap up, Denaryous makes it across the Sea to take Westoros from a disorganized King's Landing. Then makes her way North for John and denaryous to ride Dragons and torch the white walkers, buddy going to the citadel figures out John's true heritage but not before Denaryous and John hook up. Leaving the show starting and ending with brother and sisters banging.
Aunt and nephew.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:59 AM   #1214
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Aunt and nephew.
Yeah I was pretty sure it wasn't quite Brother and sister but I don't have my incestuous family tree at work.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:59 AM   #1215
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavvy View Post
It is possible! However, my opinion would be that even if this is GoT, to much time has been spent on her storyline for that conclusion, and the Waif is loyal to the faceless men. But, still possible!
My thought was that the faceless men were in on it, and wanted to send waif (as Aryia) on a mission.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:05 AM   #1216
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

Don't think any of the bolded will happen personally. I could see them never meeting at all
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:10 AM   #1217
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
And what Varys' secret mission? Is he going to find the Iron Born? What about Dorne? How many ships do the sand snakes have?
I'm thinking Varys is heading for Dorne, he knows there is no love there for the Lannister's (going back to the sacking of Kings Landing) and they would most likely take up with Dany and company to take care of business.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:12 AM   #1218
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

In the end, the Blackfish goes out like a #####.

What a waste of a great character.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2016, 09:28 AM   #1219
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post

I feel like I've said that about 1000 characters
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2016, 09:39 AM   #1220
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post

Wouldn't be surprised if he actually slipped out the back.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote