Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2018, 09:01 AM   #121
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Somehow missed on a few here, that i assume are not home owners.
I’ll assure you I’m a home owner, but please, continue to consider yourself a deity above the rest of us vehicle owning peons, because you can qualify for a mortgage, and don’t consider cars a hobby.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:03 AM   #122
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As in you know, is the grass cut timely,
Except, you know,

There is a bylaw for that.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:54 AM   #123
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
I’ll assure you I’m a home owner, but please, continue to consider yourself a deity above the rest of us vehicle owning peons, because you can qualify for a mortgage, and don’t consider cars a hobby.
Please, I only said that I don't like people that disrespect their neighbours. He is most likely living in his parents house. 5 people. 6 cars, has a living uncle that drives, he seems young. Just put the 2 and 2 together. Maybe I am wrong about it, but he obviously doesn't care about the people living near him.

Hobby cars are ok, old hondas that need major engine work to get them back on the road are an eyesore. And there is a bylaw for that. There are do's and don'ts in life. When people choose to live in a quiet and nice neighbourhood they will complain when people don't share the same values. You bring a baby to a library and people will complain. Are you going to scream "will somebody think of the babies?"
When you move to a 55+ condo, will people complain about a day care or a pub opening next door? What a-holes, right ? Why can't they just mind their own business?
Just don't be "that" guy. To use Hartley's quote, don't bring a porcupine to a balloon party.
With tiered services around us, airlines, hotel rooms, health care plans, service packages etc. Is it that hard to grasp that people expect certain standards especially when they pay a premium.

Now excuse me, but I have to go, someone is parking in front of my house. Where is my baseball bat?

Last edited by Red; 06-17-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:06 AM   #124
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

So, not much has changed for the OP, other than not being able to change his uncles oil and tires a couple times a year?
Also, what kind of home mechanic, who likes to work on his cars waits until the middle of June to change their winter tires, especially if you have an impact wrench?
Red
Old 06-17-2018, 10:29 AM   #125
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Please, I only said that I don't like people that disrespect their neighbours. He is most likely living in his parents house. 5 people. 6 cars, has a living uncle that drives, he seems young. Just put the 2 and 2 together. Maybe I am wrong about it, but he obviously doesn't care about the people living near him.

Hobby cars are ok, old hondas that need major engine work to get them back on the road are an eyesore. And there is a bylaw for that. There are do's and don'ts in life. When people choose to live in a quiet and nice neighbourhood they will complain when people don't share the same values. You bring a baby to a library and people will complain. Are you going to scream "will somebody think of the babies?"
When you move to a 55+ condo, will people complain about a day care or a pub opening next door? What a-holes, right ? Why can't they just mind their own business?
Just don't be "that" guy. To use Hartley's quote, don't bring a porcupine to a balloon party.
With tiered services around us, airlines, hotel rooms, health care plans, service packages etc. Is it that hard to grasp that people expect certain standards especially when they pay a premium.

Now excuse me, but I have to go, someone is parking in front of my house. Where is my baseball bat?
But he also has paid a premium to live in this neighbourhood. He is entitled to these same perks and the ability to service all cars registered at his address. You are applying your social values which are not universal.

If the commercial zoning beside the 55+ building is for a pub or a daycare than yes they would be a-holes for complaining.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2018, 11:04 AM   #126
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wow this conversation is getting to the extremes. There are a couple basic points here worth remembering:

1. Calgary bylaw does not respond to isolated incidents - whatever the OP is doing - its attracted numerous complaints and no doubt bylaw did at least one drive by and considered how to respond - before actually contacting the OP.

2. Its not the multiple cars. its all the activity that comes with them being worked on. Could be the visitors are loud, swear, leave their garbage around ... could be the cars are an eyesore ... could be the work is loud and conducted in evenings or early weekend mornings when its most bothersome ... whatever it is ... it is almost certainly a nuisance to the neighbourhood.

3. The point of bylaws is to help avoid nuisances in the neighbourhood. That is what you agree these days when you live in an urban neighbourhood. There are rules in bylaws against being a nuisance, but it takes more evidence to write a ticket for it ... so the City likely went the easier route to begin with (no licence). nuisance will be the next step.

4. If the bylaw route doesn't fix the problem - and the OP lives in a rich neighbourhood - the OP can likely expect to be served with a civil suit for nuisance .... that is assuming the neighbours can't stand the OP ... which seems likely since they all can't work out their own differences without some assistance from the state.

Last edited by Corral; 06-17-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:11 AM   #127
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

A good rule of thumb for any social behaviour is the categorical imperative: consider the consequence if everybody did it. So what would your street look like if every household had five cars? Would there even be enough spots for residents, let alone visitors?
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2018, 01:38 PM   #128
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
A good rule of thumb for any social behaviour is the categorical imperative: consider the consequence if everybody did it. So what would your street look like if every household had five cars? Would there even be enough spots for residents, let alone visitors?
If everyone parked 2 cars in driveway and 2 in the garage and one in front of there driveway there would be no impact to anyone. In 35ft lot areas you would still have 2 extra onstreet parking spot per two houses.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:55 PM   #129
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
If everyone parked 2 cars in driveway and 2 in the garage and one in front of there driveway there would be no impact to anyone. In 35ft lot areas you would still have 2 extra onstreet parking spot per two houses.
Many of those people keep all of those cars outside of their crap-filled garages.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2018, 02:10 PM   #130
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Many of those people keep all of those cars outside of their crap-filled garages.
That happens with 3 cars and was not part of Cliffs question about the categorical imperative. I would agree that if you have more cars than available spots you are impacting the neighbourhood.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:57 PM   #131
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Why can't they just mind their own business?
This, basically.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:34 AM   #132
bensonchuong
Draft Pick

Quote:
Ha yes let's dramatize it. I have kids and my next door neighbour has fires every other weekend.

The guy's house is an eyesore 6 cars in the driveway. Those aren't good cars by the sounds of it, they are cars that need work. Not maintenance, engine rebuilds. Probably with a bunch of buddies stopping by to help or hang out.He can try and sugarcoat it how only his uncle comes there etc. The truth is probably a lot worse. Sounds like a car flipper to me. I can only imagine what a bad day looks like there. 11 extra cars? Probably not, but the point stands. A lot of activity there and ugly landscape of junkers. What about that guy that thinks that slightly rusted 86 Firebird on blocks is a awesome? Should i not be bothered to see that next door?
People like that usually end up with a junkyard around their house. Or at least to me thats a junk yard.

Again, it's about respecting your surroundings. Don't be the odd ball. It's the reality,most people dont want rentals, day cares and other loud or busy activities near where they live. Even when they need that day care. Just as long as it's not on their block. I am not the odd ball here. We may be snobs, but i don't really care about labels people attach to me.
I'd do you the courtesy of not having you go back and read the previous posts and do a simple copy and past for you to read here:

Having a few older vehicles doesn't automatically mean they are POS cars. As I've posted before all our vehicles are in great shape, with no rust, leaks or other issues. I take pride in taking care of my vehicles, and even though some are older they have been well taken care of. We are a 5 person household with work lives that need to drive, it's not that these vehicles are parked there all day long. I hardly do any of the work on the weekend, as I have time during the day on weekdays to do my maintenance.

And before you come complaining about engine rebuilds I'll tell you what I have done. Honda Accord, timing chain went and bent the valves, I rebuilt that head. Acura TL, timing belt broke and I rebuilt that head also. I've also done rear main seals on two other vehicles. As for noise and annoyance from doing such work. Rebuilding a head is quieter than changing 4 tires, it just takes a lot of time.
bensonchuong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:39 AM   #133
bensonchuong
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I have a two car garage, 4 spots on my driveway, and three spots on the road. There's plenty of room left for visitors. And btw lots sizes in our neighborhood are at least 44ft, our just happens to be on a curve and the frontage is over 50ft.
bensonchuong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:13 AM   #134
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensonchuong View Post
I'd do you the courtesy of not having you go back and read the previous posts and do a simple copy and past for you to read here:

Having a few older vehicles doesn't automatically mean they are POS cars. As I've posted before all our vehicles are in great shape, with no rust, leaks or other issues. I take pride in taking care of my vehicles, and even though some are older they have been well taken care of. We are a 5 person household with work lives that need to drive, it's not that these vehicles are parked there all day long. I hardly do any of the work on the weekend, as I have time during the day on weekdays to do my maintenance.

And before you come complaining about engine rebuilds I'll tell you what I have done. Honda Accord, timing chain went and bent the valves, I rebuilt that head. Acura TL, timing belt broke and I rebuilt that head also. I've also done rear main seals on two other vehicles. As for noise and annoyance from doing such work. Rebuilding a head is quieter than changing 4 tires, it just takes a lot of time.

I am not complaining, it was your neighbours. I just said that I would also be unhappy with a neighbour doing a lot of car repairs like you described. I would also be unhappy if my neighbour had 6 vehicles around his property. Old or new. Legal or not. I wouldn't be able to do anything about it, but I'd still prefer a neighbour whose house didn't look like a car lot.

And before I get jumped on for saying this. I am willing to bet that a large majority of suburbia home owners would side with me. It's just how things are.

My inlaws had to move to the country because they had a tracking business and couldn't make the logistics work in the city anymore. That's the price they paid for running such business.

I know you are just doing hobby work, but for your neighbours the result is the same.

Ignoring all the back and forth and all the statements and arguments, my point is that it should not be surprising that people complained.

Last edited by Red; 06-18-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 10:43 AM   #135
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Ignoring all the back and forth and all the statements and arguments, my point is that it should not be surprising that people complained.
Got that right, nosy neighbors who get upset about everyone else’s business are a dime a dozen.

Those people would live happier lives not getting so worried about how many cars are parked in their neighbors driveway.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 11:14 AM   #136
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It really boils down to a question of whether or not someone should be expected to restrict their actions when they are having a negative impact on their neighbors, even if those actions are within the letter of the law.

Even if some would consider it "elitist", certain neighborhoods are going to be home to more people who care about outward appearances and the type of activities that are occurring on a frequent and regular basis. I'd say that in most upper middle class areas, having a stable of old cars outside your house and consistent mechanical activity being performed wouldn't viewed favorably by most residents.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to llwhiteoutll For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 11:34 AM   #137
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensonchuong View Post
Opinions anyone?
I think you should go talk to your neighbours, introduce yourself and talk to them about what you're doing and how you can mitigate any of their concerns.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:35 PM   #138
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
It really boils down to a question of whether or not someone should be expected to restrict their actions when they are having a negative impact on their neighbors, even if those actions are within the letter of the law.

Even if some would consider it "elitist", certain neighborhoods are going to be home to more people who care about outward appearances and the type of activities that are occurring on a frequent and regular basis. I'd say that in most upper middle class areas, having a stable of old cars outside your house and consistent mechanical activity being performed wouldn't viewed favorably by most residents.
Personally, I don’t think “negative impact” is worth considering when it’s as subjective as “I don’t like that.”

What that’s essentially saying is that people shouldn’t live their lives how they see fit because someone, somewhere, may not like it. You could call it elitist, but what it boils down to is people restricting the actions of those they simply do not like. We don’t stand for it regarding major transgressions, and we really should t stand for it in minor transgressions either.

The optics of the situation don’t really matter. The OP is taking up no more than one spot in front of his house, isn’t making considerable noise (from what it sounds like, no pun intended), and has a vehicle-related visit 4 times a year. What OP chooses to do in his own garage or on his own driveway, if within the law, is frankly his business and his business alone.

It may not be viewed “favourably” by some people, but #### those people. If they have an issue, they could go over and talk to him, see what’s going on so they understand it better. The by-law officer didn’t have an issue outside of the 4x a year uncle visit, so it doesn’t seem like anything outside of that is changing and nor should it have to.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:35 PM   #139
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post

They have too many cars so it doesn't look nice when I drive by before and after work is not an impact.

The concept that a neighbourhood is too good to do oil changes in is ridiculous.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 02:41 PM   #140
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Personally, I don’t think “negative impact” is worth considering when it’s as subjective as “I don’t like that.”

What that’s essentially saying is that people shouldn’t live their lives how they see fit because someone, somewhere, may not like it. You could call it elitist, but what it boils down to is people restricting the actions of those they simply do not like. We don’t stand for it regarding major transgressions, and we really should t stand for it in minor transgressions either.

The optics of the situation don’t really matter. The OP is taking up no more than one spot in front of his house, isn’t making considerable noise (from what it sounds like, no pun intended), and has a vehicle-related visit 4 times a year. What OP chooses to do in his own garage or on his own driveway, if within the law, is frankly his business and his business alone.

It may not be viewed “favourably” by some people, but #### those people. If they have an issue, they could go over and talk to him, see what’s going on so they understand it better. The by-law officer didn’t have an issue outside of the 4x a year uncle visit, so it doesn’t seem like anything outside of that is changing and nor should it have to.
OP made the same thread on another site. There is lots of talk that his house has been the discussion of the neighborhood and people haven't been happy for awhile, people knowing those in the neighborhood (the initial comment about the Councillor across the street gave it away).

Besides.. I still think there is more to the story here. Who the hell cares about changing their uncles oil so badly?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post: