Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 10:01 AM   #5601
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I actually think your response is indicative of the fable they've bred into the fanbase that the owners concerns share the same priority as the fans concerns.

That you can't separate the legitimate business case and stewardship of very public personas for some of the wealthiest men in the country from the wins and losses record of the team they own illustrates just how successful they have been at controlling the messaging and branding as executed by King.

Being such a cynic, I find that a bit surprising coming from you, but like I've been saying, it's been effective.
Simple stewardship isn't remarkable. It's a basic job requirement.
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2018, 10:10 AM   #5602
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Simple stewardship isn't remarkable. It's a basic job requirement.
cool
Old 06-05-2018, 02:21 PM   #5603
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
A new President & CEO.

Which really should happen, I think Ken King should retire and spend more time with his family. I mean Brad Treliving got a "Ken King doesn't get to meddle in what I do" clause to his contract, when they hired Burke word was it was so that Ken King could have more time to spend on the arena project (which he's clearly bungled), heck... given his "whoa is us!" dog and pony show he can't even claim really positive financial results. So he's pretty clearly not doing his job particularly well lately. He's 66 years old... that's clearly a respectable age to retire at.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:58 PM   #5604
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Or Whoa, slow down there.

Maybe he's saying King is saying "we are slowing down".
Old 06-07-2018, 02:03 PM   #5605
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Sure never said he couldn’t
Ugh again with the 'you don't know rhetoric'? Shut this place down if that is the end point for any online discussion...really tiring to see people continue on with that kind of response to something that irks them. I think all of us as Flames fans can make a pretty educated statement that Ken King is long past his expiry date.

Actions say a heck of a lot when it comes to that guy and the Flames ownership group. Paper boy should be put out to pasture as his ego, like the mayors, is negatively impacting the process and will ultimately be a big reason a new building doesn't get done.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 06-07-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:17 PM   #5606
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Ugh again with the 'you don't know rhetoric'? Shut this place down if that is the end point for any online discussion...really tiring to see people continue on with that kind of response to something that irks them. I think all of us as Flames fans can make a pretty educated statement that Ken King is long past his expiry date.

Actions say a heck of a lot when it comes to that guy and the Flames ownership group. Paper boy should be put out to pasture as his ego, like the mayors, is negatively impacting the process and will ultimately be a big reason a new building doesn't get done.
Challenging if someone knows enough to support their stated opinion is off sides now?
Sorry I disagree. Challenging someone to support their opinion is apart of debate.
You can have an opinion. I can challenge it.
That's how this works.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:02 AM   #5607
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
And if the City were to put up half the money, the deal would be long since done.

Same could be said if the Flames were willing to put up half, too.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:16 AM   #5608
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Same could be said if the Flames were willing to put up half, too.
Again it's not really about how much each side "puts up" for construction it's about how much each side get's back.

CSEC's contention that the return on a 50-50 cost split should be: CSEC 100% - City of Calgary: 0% is pretty absurd.
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2018, 11:18 AM   #5609
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Again it's not really about how much each side "puts up" for construction it's about how much each side get's back.

CSEC's contention that the return on a 50-50 cost split should be: CSEC 100% - City of Calgary: 0% is pretty absurd.
you could argue it's CSEC 100% City <0% with all the extra asks the Flames had, free transit, free police security, city to pay insurance, city to pay provincial property tax... whatever other absurd demands the Flames had.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:32 AM   #5610
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally caught up on my favourite thread after being away for a while. Interested if anyone can shed some more light on what's been reported from STH events:

Quote:
- King, in response to a fan's question, seemed to imply that members of the City violated terms of the non-disclosure agreement. This time around hopes everything remains private.
Quote:
Regarding the new arena, pretty much hinted that there was a non disclosure agreement during the last round of discussions, but all sort of things came out. Said next negotiations will be in private, so pretty much admitting they are at the table or will be going.
What is it that we think the city [wrongfully?] disclosed? What are the nuggets of information that would have irked CSEC?

I understand some level of discretion needs to be involved in negotiations, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to me that some level of public info is reasonable when $xxx,xxx,xxx.xx of public money is involved...
Old 06-15-2018, 10:35 AM   #5611
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Finally caught up on my favourite thread after being away for a while. Interested if anyone can shed some more light on what's been reported from STH events:

What is it that we think the city [wrongfully?] disclosed? What are the nuggets of information that would have irked CSEC?

I understand some level of discretion needs to be involved in negotiations, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to me that some level of public info is reasonable when $xxx,xxx,xxx.xx of public money is involved...
During negotiations you can't do that, because then you're effectively negotiating with the entire population of the city, and that will never ever get anything done. That's why we elect officials to negotiate on our behalf.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:06 AM   #5612
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
During negotiations you can't do that, because then you're effectively negotiating with the entire population of the city, and that will never ever get anything done. That's why we elect officials to negotiate on our behalf.
There is some level of public info throughout any process related to almost anything that any government is involved in. Exactly how much we get to know is always the question.

If I had to guess, I'd think it might be related to all of the items monkeyman mentioned a few posts ago?

Quote:
you could argue it's CSEC 100% City <0% with all the extra asks the Flames had, free transit, free police security, city to pay insurance, city to pay provincial property tax... whatever other absurd demands the Flames had.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:57 PM   #5613
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1009191746264236037
https://twitter.com/user/status/1009192017447018496
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 03:59 PM   #5614
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Full letter:

Old 06-19-2018, 04:01 PM   #5615
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Full letter:

Seems like a reasonable response.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:02 PM   #5616
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty much exactly what he said at the STH info session a couple of weeks ago (and given the date on the letter, it was written the same day as the first STH sessions).
Old 06-19-2018, 04:04 PM   #5617
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Can't say I disagree with King's letter. Rightly or wrongly the CSEC came out looking like the villain's, keep the negotiations in the boardroom where they belong. When it gets out in the media, ego's (Both Nenshi and King) in the way of progress.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to underGRADFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 04:05 PM   #5618
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
There is some level of public info throughout any process related to almost anything that any government is involved in. Exactly how much we get to know is always the question.

If I had to guess, I'd think it might be related to all of the items monkeyman mentioned a few posts ago?
That is the thing that annoyed me when a bunch of that stuff came out about asks. There really wasn't any context to it. For example the free transit ask could have been extending the free fare zone to Vic park on games days to utilize downtown parking garages, the free police could have been we pay for x amount and the city pay for x amount etc etc.

Essentially just tidbits from a back and forth and it really brought out the pitchforks and torches.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:25 PM   #5619
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

So he sends a letter asking for no negotiations in public and the letter goes.... public?
Old 06-19-2018, 04:26 PM   #5620
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
Can't say I disagree with King's letter.
I can...

It's our money, I think King is angling to make some backroom deal that will be foisted on the citizenry as a fait accompli.

Quote:
For example the free transit ask could have been extending the free fare zone to Vic park on games days to utilize downtown parking garages, the free police could have been we pay for x amount and the city pay for x amount etc etc.
What difference does that make? It's still them asking the city to subsidize their customers transportation costs and subsidizing their security costs. Why should they get breaks on either of those?
Closed Thread