Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-21-2019, 03:56 PM   #1
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Santa clara

Going to a 49ers game in October, anyone gone to a game there? any tips for a decent hotel which is easily accessible to the stadium, likely take transit if it is convenient. Not familiar with the area, so any tips would be helpful. Thanks
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:07 PM   #2
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

There are hotels right near the stadium. If that’s all you’re doing, stay there, but I would highly consider centralising your trip in SF rather than Santa Clara or San Jose.

Maybe fly into SFO, spend a couple days in SF, grab a hotel across from the stadium for game day and drive down, then fly out the next day?

That way you’re at least not driving up and down the bay too many times
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:58 PM   #3
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just don't get it mixed up with Santa Carla. If there's one thing I can't stomach about Santa Carla, it's all the damn vampires.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2019, 09:14 PM   #4
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
There are hotels right near the stadium. If that’s all you’re doing, stay there, but I would highly consider centralising your trip in SF rather than Santa Clara or San Jose.

Maybe fly into SFO, spend a couple days in SF, grab a hotel across from the stadium for game day and drive down, then fly out the next day?

That way you’re at least not driving up and down the bay too many times
Yeah not spending much time there, we are going to spend some time in Santa Cruz down by the beach. then drive up for the game and leave Santa Clara next day.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:16 AM   #5
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Sunnyvale. It was okay and cheap. We took an Uber to the stadium as it was by far the easiest way. Getting back to the hotel was a different story. Getting an uber or a taxi was impossible so we just decided to walk back. It was a pretty significant walk and looking back wasn't worth it.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:32 AM   #6
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Just don't get it mixed up with Santa Carla. If there's one thing I can't stomach about Santa Carla, it's all the damn vampires.
Make a hammer knife just in case.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:51 PM   #7
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Sunnyvale. It was okay and cheap. We took an Uber to the stadium as it was by far the easiest way. Getting back to the hotel was a different story. Getting an uber or a taxi was impossible so we just decided to walk back. It was a pretty significant walk and looking back wasn't worth it.
is there an LRT near the stadium? I just want to make it as painless as possible getting there and back. the long walk back would suck
Old 04-22-2019, 12:52 PM   #8
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
is there an LRT near the stadium? I just want to make it as painless as possible getting there and back. the long walk back would suck
Not that I was aware of. We were banking on uber/taxi being an option but quickly realized it wasn’t.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:32 PM   #9
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Going to a 49ers game in October, anyone gone to a game there? any tips for a decent hotel which is easily accessible to the stadium, likely take transit if it is convenient. Not familiar with the area, so any tips would be helpful. Thanks
There's some stuff down the Main Street behind the stadium.. it's a weird location for a stadium to be honest mixed in with conference centers and residential.

You'd be best to go to Palo Alto for dinner or Downtown San Jose. May as well call them the SJ 49ers to be honest
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:34 PM   #10
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Yes there is.. I however know little about it. I've only been to that area for conferences for work
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:49 PM   #11
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

thanks i will need to find the LRT route and find a hotel just off of it. looks like this could be a bit of a gong show i suppose.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:31 AM   #12
SilverKast
Backup Goalie

Exp:

There is an LRT station right at the stadium, we took it from the game back to our hotel in downtown San Jose. It's really easy it just gets really busy after the game is all. The trains are pretty packed leaving, but they have crowd control that puts everyone in one area for the trains and gets you on - eventually.

It's a pretty good experience though, the stadium is really nice and the weather is also great compared to here. We took the train both ways and had zero issues, I think a lot of people do the same thing. You could probably take an Uber to get there, but it would be a gong show trying to get one to leave. Best bet is the LRT.

There's lots of hotels in the downtown San Jose area with bars, pubs and places to eat all over - and the LRT runs right through it. We were at the Fairmont in downtown San Jose and the train station was right beside us.

I like San Francisco better than San Jose, but the stadium is waaaay easier to get to from San Jose. It's not even close to San Fran really.
SilverKast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:36 PM   #13
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverKast View Post
There is an LRT station right at the stadium, we took it from the game back to our hotel in downtown San Jose. It's really easy it just gets really busy after the game is all. The trains are pretty packed leaving, but they have crowd control that puts everyone in one area for the trains and gets you on - eventually.

It's a pretty good experience though, the stadium is really nice and the weather is also great compared to here. We took the train both ways and had zero issues, I think a lot of people do the same thing. You could probably take an Uber to get there, but it would be a gong show trying to get one to leave. Best bet is the LRT.

There's lots of hotels in the downtown San Jose area with bars, pubs and places to eat all over - and the LRT runs right through it. We were at the Fairmont in downtown San Jose and the train station was right beside us.

I like San Francisco better than San Jose, but the stadium is waaaay easier to get to from San Jose. It's not even close to San Fran really.
Thanks for the advice. really looking forward to it. You have to expect that the train will take a while after the game, so I am ok with it. I will look to San Jose for hotels then. The hotels within walking distance were priced so high, tough to justify.