Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-10-2019, 05:57 PM   #21
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I hope in my lifetime Remembrance Day becomes more important to Canadians than Christmas Day,Good Friday or Easter. I believe Nov 11th should be the most celebrated day of the year
There will always be wars and people dying. People won't forget.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:23 PM   #22
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope people won’t forget but I have to agree with the observation it’s losing some significance. I remember having a service in school and actually learning about it. It seems more an afterthought now and just “that sorta holiday in November” for a lot of people. It frosts me that as soon as Halloween is over, it’s a Christmas onslaught. There’s nothing commercial about Remembrance Day which is why but I think it should be more revered and a stat holiday. I also think anyone why steals a poppy box needs to be publicly shamed forever, but that’s a different topic.

I have a vivid memory of being in the Bondi Beach Yacht Club in Sydney on Remembrance Day 2006. The club basically stopped everything, turned up the radio broadcast right before 11 and had a moment of silence. Everyone stood for the impromptu service. I thought it was a great touch. I wish more places did that.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 08:27 PM   #23
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, I remember the school services. My History teacher freaked out when she found out I was an active reservist, and decided that I had to participate and take part in the ceremony in full dress uniform. She even phoned my unit to demand it.

At that point, I hadn't told a lot of people what I did, I just kind of vanished on weekends and during the summer for exercises. I don't know why I was secretive about it.

So there I was in full dress uniform with a couple of kids who were sea and army cadets. Then I ended up spending the rest of the day in uniform after receiving instructions from my unit to stay in uniform all day.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 10:13 PM   #24
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 11-10-2019, 11:00 PM   #25
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
In memory of my Dad from 2006. His last trip to Dieppe
A really interesting fact about this cemetery is that it was the German's who buried the bodies and in doing so they buried them in a traditional German cemetery arrangement which they elected not to change, making it the only commonwealth cemetery to look like this.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mean Mr. Mustard For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 11:17 PM   #26
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
A really interesting fact about this cemetery is that it was the German's who buried the bodies and in doing so they buried them in a traditional German cemetery arrangement which they elected not to change, making it the only commonwealth cemetery to look like this.
Had no clue of this, amazing really
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:18 AM   #27
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's another neat image. Its a Statement of War Service Gratuity.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 09:55 AM   #28
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just returned from services at my town's Cenotaph. Terrible weather today, I think it affected the turnout.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:46 PM   #29
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Went to a lovely remembrance day service with my grandmother who is a veteran of the second world war. 99 years old. She was emotional and you can tell how much it means to her still. I hope it never becomes an afterthought for our country.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hey Connor, It's Mess For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #30
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Please remember to take a moment today to remember those who served, their families and those who fell. As time marches further away from the great conflicts it can be more difficult for us to put ourselves in their situation.

They were thrust into the cauldron of fire and horrors. Not privy to the full picture of what was happening just there fulfilling their duty, surrounded by unrelenting suffering.

This is why today exists, to remember those that went. To remember why we shouldn’t allow ourselves to let it happen again.

I will not forget their sacrifices for they allow me to live the life that I do.

I will remember them.

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #31
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just want to take a moment to thank our Calgary Puck veterans and all the others for serving our country.
Spoiler!

This was from taken at the Hill 70 memorial in Lens, France
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 02:43 PM   #32
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Laid a wreath for my lodge (shout out to the Independent Order of Oddfellows) at the Ladner War Memorial, lovely ceremony, Delta Police Pipe Band was excellent, 4 plane fly past by 4 NA T6's a couple of thousand spectators, many of whom were not white.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:39 PM   #33
OldSam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks everyone for sharing memories and remembrances. My family has served for generations and it is nice to see people still honour them.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:33 PM   #34
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

And the young people ask me, "what are they marching for?" And I ask myself the same question.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 07:37 PM   #35
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post

Always a sombering experience looking through these WW2 Momentos from my grandfather. Wish I was old enough to learn more about his WW2 experience in person.

Tough SOB in the 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion.

1st Canadian Parachute Battalion was among the toughest. Little known fact, they raced ahead of the Allied lines to prevent the Soviets from reaching Denmark. If it wasn't for your grandfather, my Dad's home wouldn't have been free for most of the 20th century. My grandparents could never have emigrated here in 1952. I would never have existed.

Writing that teared me up.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 11:10 AM   #36
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post

He got on a boat with his wife and and came to Canada where they settled on a farm in in Southern Manitoba. He kept that helmet in the root cellar of his farm along with his gun and medals he received. He would show them to us three kids when we come visit. Sadly all have gone missing.
I actually looked into it online. The UK Department of Defense will re-issue medals but there has to be some proof that they were either stolen or destroyed. So you would need a police report or insurance claim. The point is moot though, because they can only do it for awards after WWI.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:51 AM   #37
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it is criminal that people seem to be losing a sense of the gravity of Remembrance Day. We have always been insistent that our entire family (even when my kids were very young) attend a Remembrance Day ceremony and properly show our gratitude to those who fought for our freedom and way of life.

This year the company I work for did a special tribute to our veterans, which is something that is near & dear to my heart. For those who haven't seen it, some of you may find it interesting.

https://www.cpr.ca/en/media/canadian...al-locomotives

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...Ymodjt__0rbCg4
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Redliner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 07:21 PM   #38
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
1st Canadian Parachute Battalion was among the toughest. Little known fact, they raced ahead of the Allied lines to prevent the Soviets from reaching Denmark. If it wasn't for your grandfather, my Dad's home wouldn't have been free for most of the 20th century. My grandparents could never have emigrated here in 1952. I would never have existed.

Writing that teared me up.
Thanks for sharing that!
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:55 AM   #39
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://985thejewel.com/2019/11/14/o...g-u-s-soldier/

What a great letter to Ottawa from a visiting US Soldier! He attended Remembrance Day services in Ottawa this year.

Last edited by bigtmac19; 11-25-2019 at 10:13 AM.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 10:08 AM   #40
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
https://985thejewel.com/2019/11/14/o...g-u-s-soldier/

What a great letter to Ottawa from a visiting US Soldier!

That was entirely amazing to read.

I remember a few years back at the ceremony at the Museum of the Regiments here in Calgary and I talked to an older Gentleman from Texas who had served in Vietnam. He had no real connection to Canada's history but starting in the 90's when he heard about what we do for Rememberance day and he knew some Canadians that had volunteered to serve in Vietnam he started making the trip up here. He was blown away by the crowd and the concept. He also talked about our Highway of hero's when Canadian KIA were returned from Afghanistan.

We have some absolutely awesome traditions in this country that I hope we don't lose.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: