Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-04-2021, 09:44 AM   #12901
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I'm not. McHobo will make him look better than a $6M winger and then the Grease don't need to put Crysaitl on his wing.
I would be extremely happy to see the Oilers sign a 29 year old to a 6x6 deal. He might be good for a year or two but I don’t see him as an upgrade on Nuge
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2021, 10:39 AM   #12902
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
The issue with Hyman is more his age, and that really it’s not clear what he looks like away from Matthews and Marner.

If he were 25 then maybe $5-$6M isn’t that bad. But he’s 29 and big money contracts for players that aren’t elite on their own, and are soon to be on the wrong side of 30 generally come back to bite you.
If Toronto was a solid Stanley Cup contender over the next few years, it might make sense to over pay for Hyman, perhaps a win a cup or two, and then plug your nose at the end of his term, like many teams who have won cups have to do.

But Toronto is not that team. They need to let Hyman go to where some one else will overpay him.
Old 06-04-2021, 12:00 PM   #12903
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Rude. I trash Gaudreaus effort when warranted, just like everyone else with every other player. If you want to go nuts and defend a player with your dying breath, great. But stuff the the personal insults back into your pie hole.
Kettle calling the pot black. You started with the personal crap with your bs take on me always defending Gaudreau. If you were to actually pay attention I was on the trade him side for quite a while so don't act like you are a victim when you poke the bear and it bites back.
Old 06-04-2021, 12:35 PM   #12904
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Kettle calling the pot black. You started with the personal crap with your bs take on me always defending Gaudreau. If you were to actually pay attention I was on the trade him side for quite a while so don't act like you are a victim when you poke the bear and it bites back.
This interaction seems more like someone poking a frog and it goes ribbit.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2021, 02:57 PM   #12905
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I miss Dougie Hamilton.
Old 06-04-2021, 03:08 PM   #12906
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Domi out 5-6 months. Sure seems like CBJ could use a centre...

Old 06-04-2021, 03:11 PM   #12907
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
What would we have to add to Monahan to get Laine?
Old 06-04-2021, 03:20 PM   #12908
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Trade is 1 for 1 I hope with his attitude. He wont last with Sutter.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Psytic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2021, 03:22 PM   #12909
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Signed or unsigned? Laine’s an RFA. He’s also coming off a 24 point season. With a huge minus stat.

I suppose somewhat it depends on their next coach, since Torts seems to be out.

They have Foudy in the wings, though.
Old 06-04-2021, 03:30 PM   #12910
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
When does the season start? He could be back in October.
Old 06-04-2021, 03:39 PM   #12911
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lucic is the only thing I would add.
Old 06-04-2021, 03:47 PM   #12912
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Laine would be paying rent for all season in Sutters dog house. I dont think I can imagine a worse player to add onto a Sutter run team.
Old 06-04-2021, 03:48 PM   #12913
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Thank goodness. He could be back in time to be incredibly underwhelming, yet at the same time incredibly annoying.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 06-04-2021, 03:56 PM   #12914
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
He's expected to miss at least the first month of the season and could be out until December.

Old 06-04-2021, 04:13 PM   #12915
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Laine would be paying rent for all season in Sutters dog house. I dont think I can imagine a worse player to add onto a Sutter run team.
I mostly agree with you but I would have said the same thing about Alex Tanguay, Kristain Huselius, Marian Gaborik, etc

Sometimes things can click with different coaches.
Old 06-04-2021, 04:15 PM   #12916
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
I miss Dougie Hamilton.
Not me really happy the flames are not dealing with that potential extension. He looks to be heading to free agency. Flames still have 3 years with Lindholm and Hanifin both on steal contracts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2021, 04:19 PM   #12917
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I mostly agree with you but I would have said the same thing about Alex Tanguay, Kristain Huselius, Marian Gaborik, etc

Sometimes things can click with different coaches.
Third Coach is the charm I guess. Its his attitude not just his style of play.
Old 06-04-2021, 04:24 PM   #12918
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually think a coach like Sutter would be perfect for Laine.

Sutter at the core is a players coach. He has an excellent beat for the room, and time and time again we hear about players talking about how he recognizes their struggles and works personally with them. He adapts to the players he's coaching.
He is also demanding and rigid, as we have seen. This is not unlike torterella, but the above is very different, and the next part is the key difference:
Sutter will absolutely go to bat for players in the media.

To me, Laine has had both extremes: he had Paul Maurice in Winnipeg, a well known "players coach". He actually performed wonderfully under Maurice for stretches, and IMO it's because he felt supported to learn and grow while taking risks. Over time the media started to rip at him to the point where he was constantly underperforming and just getting lambasted all the time for it. Torterella pretty much just threw him to the wolves right away, offering no support and seemingly quitting on the team even this year. Laine actually started out strong in Columbus: First 10 games there he had 6g, 4a, 10 points. Then the skid started and there was no one there to shield him or help pull him up.

Sutter offers both of these things to him, and IMO could potentially mold Laine into a real player. Laine already would possess the best goal scoring talent the franchise has seen since Iginla.

In short, if columbus will trade us Laine for Monahan we should take it and trust in Sutter rather than in some of these odd boogeyman sutter creations some of you have in your head.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2021, 04:30 PM   #12919
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2020/2021 Trade Speculation and Rumours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
In short, if columbus will trade us Laine for Monahan we should take it and trust in Sutter rather than in some of these odd boogeyman sutter creations some of you have in your head.

I would make that trade even if it was to flip Laine. His trade value is much higher than Monny, as his chances of rebounding is much higher. Monny’s decline is likely injury related, and he may never get back to were he was.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by The Cobra; 06-04-2021 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-04-2021, 04:34 PM   #12920
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I actually think a coach like Sutter would be perfect for Laine.

Sutter at the core is a players coach. He has an excellent beat for the room, and time and time again we hear about players talking about how he recognizes their struggles and works personally with them. He adapts to the players he's coaching.
He is also demanding and rigid, as we have seen. This is not unlike torterella, but the above is very different, and the next part is the key difference:
Sutter will absolutely go to bat for players in the media.

To me, Laine has had both extremes: he had Paul Maurice in Winnipeg, a well known "players coach". He actually performed wonderfully under Maurice for stretches, and IMO it's because he felt supported to learn and grow while taking risks. Over time the media started to rip at him to the point where he was constantly underperforming and just getting lambasted all the time for it. Torterella pretty much just threw him to the wolves right away, offering no support and seemingly quitting on the team even this year. Laine actually started out strong in Columbus: First 10 games there he had 6g, 4a, 10 points. Then the skid started and there was no one there to shield him or help pull him up.

Sutter offers both of these things to him, and IMO could potentially mold Laine into a real player. Laine already would possess the best goal scoring talent the franchise has seen since Iginla.

Dont think anyone thinks Sutter's a bogeyman. I love Sutter. I'm questioning Laine and if the risk is worth the reward. Will he step up or will he take his ball and go some where else sunny. He likes to force his way out when the going gets tough after all.
Closed Thread