Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-19-2014, 10:23 PM   #1
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default PC Leadership Race Predictions

So, any early predictions on who is going to throw their name into the ring?

I really liked Doug Griffiths during the last leadership race but think he may have shot himself in the foot with some of his tweets.

Gary Mar I think would have a tough hill to climb after all the money the government gave him when he left. I know that he was entitled to all the severance and it sounds like he earned it and performed well in the Asian envoy role but it will look bad coming after Redford to have a candidate who collected a huge severance package to ease his transition into his new role within the government.

Thomas Lukaszuk seems like he will throw his name in but he is pretty polarizing and I can see him being one of the front runners who forces the run off voters to pick the third place role.

Doug Horner sounds like he will be the interim leader which makes me think that he won't be a serious contender for the leadership. Don't parties normally put someone who isn't running in as the interim leader to give the candidates full freedom to campaign.

I have heard Stephen Mandel's name bandied about. Not sure how he would do outside of Edmonton though. He isn't well liked in the north because of the closing of the city centre airport. (I am not judging the decision, just commenting on his perception in the north)

Wayne Drysdale I am including as he has been rising pretty quickly within the party.

Who else have I missed? Any dark horses or people from outside the party?

I put this in a fresh thread so that the Redford thread can keep going with the sick days debate.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GP_Matt For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2014, 10:40 PM   #2
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

One of the names tossed around in this article is Jim Prentice.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/po...375/story.html
c.t.ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:48 PM   #3
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jim Prentice would be interesting. It could steal a lot of support from the Wildrose, a lot of whom are involved with the Federal Conservative party.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:51 PM   #4
Troubamaker
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Judging by the past 2 leaders they elected, we should focus on who would finish in third.
Troubamaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Troubamaker For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2014, 10:52 PM   #5
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

Jim Prentice had the opportunity to run two and a half years ago and he chose not too. I doubt he'll change his mind now, especially considering the party is in even more of a mess than it was then.
Same goes for Jim Dinning.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:40 PM   #6
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Out of those I'd take Mandel in heartbeat. I'm not exactly a true-blue PC though.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:50 AM   #7
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

The real question might be - does it matter?
Old 03-20-2014, 01:24 AM   #8
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bunk, are you saying leadership is a non-issue? I don't understand what you mean.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:07 AM   #9
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Earlier this week I was told by a person I dee, credible that Mandel will run. It had been estimated that it would happen in the fall though. Fundraising will not be a problem.

If he does he will win most of Edmonton's seats. Bad news for the Libs and WR in Edmonton.

His candidacy will be swayed by analysis of the Katz arena deal outside of Edmonton, and whether it was a fair deal for taxpayers. It will be a double edged sword for him. It plays well in Edmonton, but he will be hammered Iin Calgary for it.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:18 AM   #10
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
The real question might be - does it matter?
One can probably say without hyperbole that this is the most important leadership race in PCAA history, if not for any party in Alberta political history. There just doesn't seem to be any bombastic Klein-esque personalities around that can revitalize the party (save perhaps for Nenshi, who won't run). So who is available that can not only put a strong foot forward, but also heal the wide and deep divisions within the Conservatives? We're honestly looking at a party that started breaking apart in 2006. Is anyone capable of repairing this?
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:21 AM   #11
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I describe myself as a fiscal hawk, so McIver or Dinning would be my choices.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:21 AM   #12
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think Prentice is better suited to replace Harper, not Redford.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:22 AM   #13
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Earlier this week I was told by a person I dee, credible that Mandel will run. It had been estimated that it would happen in the fall though. Fundraising will not be a problem.

If he does he will win most of Edmonton's seats. Bad news for the Libs and WR in Edmonton.

His candidacy will be swayed by analysis of the Katz arena deal outside of Edmonton, and whether it was a fair deal for taxpayers. It will be a double edged sword for him. It plays well in Edmonton, but he will be hammered Iin Calgary for it.
I wonder how well he would fare in Calgary if he supported an arena deal here too?

If Mandel were to get hammered in Calgary because of the Edmonton arena deal, then that would represent a significant problem for him. The Tories might take Edmonton, but if Calgary goes green, that would make rural Alberta the battleground for the throne. I'd probably put my money on Wildrose at that point.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:46 AM   #14
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubamaker View Post
Judging by the past 2 leaders they elected, we should focus on who would finish in third.
The PCs changed their leadership vote structure so only the top 2 make it past the first vote to the runoff recently
Maccalus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maccalus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2014, 07:46 AM   #15
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I wonder how well he would fare in Calgary if he supported an arena deal here too?

If Mandel were to get hammered in Calgary because of the Edmonton arena deal, then that would represent a significant problem for him. The Tories might take Edmonton, but if Calgary goes green, that would make rural Alberta the battleground for the throne. I'd probably put my money on Wildrose at that point.
The provincial government is in a tight spot with arena funding.
If they give too much support it will look like they are paying Katz back for contributing a third of the PC war chest in the last election.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:48 AM   #16
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

No doubt. They can't even really say "We're giving $50 million to both Calgary and Edmonton" to seem fair. They give a dollar to Edmonton's arena, and the opposition parties will be all over it.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:22 AM   #17
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccalus View Post
The PCs changed their leadership vote structure so only the top 2 make it past the first vote to the runoff recently
Yup. There won't be a third place candidate that can steal the race this year.

Also a few more names to add to the pool. Although a bunch of them seem very, very unlikely.

http://daveberta.ca/2014/03/8-candid...pc-leadership/

It'll be interesting to see if they lean towards recapturing the big tent theme or go more blue conservative.
c.t.ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:44 AM   #18
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
One can probably say without hyperbole that this is the most important leadership race in PCAA history, if not for any party in Alberta political history. There just doesn't seem to be any bombastic Klein-esque personalities around that can revitalize the party (save perhaps for Nenshi, who won't run). So who is available that can not only put a strong foot forward, but also heal the wide and deep divisions within the Conservatives? We're honestly looking at a party that started breaking apart in 2006. Is anyone capable of repairing this?
I think that there is a lot of wishful thinking going on, both in your position that its beyond repair, and in the idea that some of these people who could fix it are interested in the job! Nonetheless, here are people that I think could easily piece together a winning campaign for the PCAA in 2016...not an exhaustive list, just those who spring to mind:

- Jim Prentice
- Jim Dinning
- Stephen Mandel
- Gary Mar

I also think that there are interesting names like Donna Kennedy-Glans, who might be a bit of an outsider, but has a lot of connections and would be a formidable force. It just seems like its a bit early to write-off a government that had a huge majority just two years ago in favour of a rural-rump party. Lets be reasonable here; the Liberals were closer to forming government in the 90s than the Wild Rose is today. Sure, times have changed, but maybe the demise of the PCAA is a little exaggerated at this point.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2014, 08:52 AM   #19
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Jim Prentice! Yeah, he'd be great, but that's a pipe dream.

If we're throwing out dream candidates, I want Bret "The Hitman" Hart.

Realistically, we'll probably end up with someone boring like Doug Horner (I always get Doug Horner and Doug Griffiths mixed up - the one with the goatee).
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:55 AM   #20
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would love to see a totally off the board candidate emerge and ideally win. PC's need a new direction and simply promoting an established party insider will feel like more of the same. But since they are effectively trying to "rebuild on the fly" ahead of the next election, they'll probably pick a very safe choice.

Tags
alberta , leadership race , pc party