Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2012, 12:02 AM   #41
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Get ready for a April 23 provincial election.

After weeks of speculation, the writ will drop Monday morning, the Sun has learned.
Calgary Sun
First Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:54 AM   #42
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

I am voting Wildrose. It doesn't matter who you vote in nowadays, nothing changes anyway, so I am just going to vote for the hotter looking candidates party. Plus Redford reminds me of a nosey, pasty, red headed woman I know that I absolutely cannot stand.

Go Hot Candidate party!

I am not paying attention to any of this besides the mainstream news about the front runners, so if there is a more physically attractive female candidate I should be voting for, please let me know.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #43
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Voting Wildrose this time around.

And GFY Kyle Fawcett for your stupid automated calls three times in one month.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #44
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Voting Wildrose this time around.

And GFY Kyle Fawcett for your stupid automated calls three times in one month.
Personally, I think Jeremy Nixon is one of our best candidates. Though, I might be a bit bias.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #45
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm voting Tory as I see no reasonable option. Caucus meeting called for tomorrow and there are no issues so it has to be to call the election.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #46
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Lady View Post
Personally, I think Jeremy Nixon is one of our best candidates
I voted for that guy for Alderman, he's the only one who returned my email with no BS answers.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #47
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looks like Elections Almanac has updated seat predictions.

http://www.electionalmanac.com/ea/alberta/

Right now looking like a PCs with a minority government. It's going to be an interesting and vicious campaign if this is any indication.
c.t.ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #48
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
When mistakes are made, they pretty much boil down to two choices.

You acknowledge it and make it right or you ignore them and let them fester.
Some mistakes are of little consequence and cost more to fix than to ignore and simply move on. What's the harm of a slightly amusing campaign bus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Cheer up, at least they weren't throwing your money at the problem.
Well, that's because they don't have access to my money.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #49
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Some mistakes are of little consequence and cost more to fix than to ignore and simply move on. What's the harm of a slightly amusing campaign bus?
This election the Wildrose will be under the greatest scrutiny. We need to (and I believe our members will agree) minimize anything that detracts from conveying out message (platform) to Albertans.
The Following User Says Thank You to First Lady For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #50
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This election the Wildrose will be under the greatest scrutiny. We need to (and I believe our members will agree) minimize anything that detracts from conveying out message (platform) to Albertans.
Agree, at first I thought they should just leave the bus as is but after thinking about it they did the right thing in changing it. There are plenty of serious issues to be discussed in this election and for the first time in 20 years we may not have a PC majority guaranteed. I'd rather the media wasn't 100% focused on the candidates boobs.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #51
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be completely honest I didn't even notice when I first saw the bus. Not that I didn't think it was funny after I noticed, but its really more over blown than it needs to be.

I will say that if it appears likely that those seat projections are accurate though (the PC minority) that I think the Liberals are in serious trouble. That kind of thing will encourage voters who are otherwise liberal (small l) to vote PC to fend off the right-wing horde. I can definitely see that cropping up if it looks possible.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #52
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Can I vote Nenshi?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #53
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

One of my wishes has come true.

Smith Discloses Leadership Campaign Contributions
Old 03-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #54
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting.

Do you think this is in response to the herald/journal articles about fundraising lately?
Old 03-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #55
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Good for her....finally. That election was 2 1/2 years ago though. She is almost at the point she can legally destroy it anyway.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:14 PM   #56
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Interesting.

Do you think this is in response to the herald/journal articles about fundraising lately?
No, not so much that. As mentioned in the release many of these names either appeared on our financials in 2010 or will appear for 2011. 2011 will be released on Mar 31. Timing I think has more to do with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Good for her....finally. That election was 2 1/2 years ago though. She is almost at the point she can legally destroy it anyway.
There are no laws regarding internal party races. They could have been shredded 2.5 years ago.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #57
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am surprised at how much of the money comes from small donors. There really wasn't that much raised from big donors.
Glad she released them but the timing is understandable given that when everyone donated the law/policy was that they would be kept anonymous, I would imagine that someone would have to contact every donor to confirm that it was okay to release the information. Or as FL said if they are going to be on the public record as having donated to the party.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #58
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

First candidate knocked on my door. As much as I really disliked Ric in the civic election, as I said in a previous post, I put a lot of weight in a candidate doing that kind of thing. If I don't meet the WRA candidate before the election, this will probably be what tips the scales in his favor.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:52 AM   #59
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
I am surprised at how much of the money comes from small donors. There really wasn't that much raised from big donors.
Glad she released them but the timing is understandable given that when everyone donated the law/policy was that they would be kept anonymous, I would imagine that someone would have to contact every donor to confirm that it was okay to release the information. Or as FL said if they are going to be on the public record as having donated to the party.
This is exactly where I disagree. I will give minimal credit for finally releasing the information, but lets be reasonable. She released this for one reason and one reason only; this is going to be a nasty campaign (her party tried to start attack ads 6 months ago) and she is trying to patch holes before someone calls her on it.

In the mayoral race here in a campaign I worked on we made it clear to donors that we were going to disclose their information. If they weren't comfortable with their name being released they could either donate less than $100 or not donate. People are generally fine with that.

I'll also note that there are a lot of companies who donate to more than one party with no repercussions at all. That line of people were concerned about intimidation is pretty weak IMO. Its not like no one has ever done this before; its commonplace both at a provincial and federal level.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #60
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.t.ner View Post
Looks like Elections Almanac has updated seat predictions.

http://www.electionalmanac.com/ea/alberta/

Right now looking like a PCs with a minority government. It's going to be an interesting and vicious campaign if this is any indication.
I'm not sure of their methodology, but I simply do not see the seat count coming that close to the polling percentages. It doesn't really work that way. That said, I'm not sure I trust a 65-17-2-3 breakdown that threehundredeight has either.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberta , election , get off butt & vote