Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2021, 12:49 PM   #301
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a Rhino or Marxist-Leninist Candidate?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:54 PM   #302
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Guys I'm jaded. Who should I vote for in Calgary Shepard? My election issues are climate change action, pandemic, economy in that order.

My vote compass says 59% conservative, 56% Liberal, 55% NDP, 49% Green and I wont even mention PPC because I won't vote for them under any circumstance. (it was by far the lowest anyway)
Judging by this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calgary_Shepard

It doesn't really matter. If you want to send a message, vote for whoever aligns with your wants.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 04:29 PM   #303
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Took 2 minutes in my small Sask town too.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 04:31 PM   #304
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
NDP, not because I like them but because they didn’t do anything morally disqualifying.

This was the most depressing vote I think I have cast.

Glad mine didn’t matter.
haha, this is exactly where I landed.

Liberals - scandal ridden incompetence.
Cons - short term culture ware thinking negates the ability to do anything for constituents
Greens - basically collapsed as a party, and aren't even really pushing the overton window on environmental policy anymore
Maverick - I just can't get behind a party of whiney little bitches that want a bigger handout (especially when they are mostly some of the most privileged people in the world).
PPC - Certainly not for a party that thinks the problem with the CPC is that they aren't into the culture war enough.

We didn't have any independents or small parties running in Rocky Ridge.

NDP - I'm not really in favor of them basically trying to attach themselves to the progressive edge of the American Democrats as an identity, I've always hated the way the NDP panders to unions, but those are really substantive complaints and everyone else was worse.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 04:32 PM   #305
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Judging by this:

It doesn't really matter. If you want to send a message, vote for whoever aligns with your wants.
I ####ing love that my wife bucked the trend in our riding (which that is).

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 04:51 PM   #306
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Judging by this:

It's so depressing that so many districts in Alberta look like the voting patterns you see in banana republics
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 04:53 PM   #307
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I voted NDP for the first time in my life, ya dirty dogs!
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 04:55 PM   #308
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I had an Animal Protection Party on my ballot… was not expecting that. The commies I’m used to seeing.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 04:55 PM   #309
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
It's so depressing that so many districts in Alberta look like the voting patterns you see in banana republics
It certainly is. But its also a 'chicken and egg/cause-and-effect' issue.

Its not like the Federal NDP or Liberals have ever done much or cared much for a lot of these Districts.

They're not even promising anything. Anything.

So why would you vote for them?

I look at my riding and the Liberals, NDP and Greens didnt even try. No signs, nothing. I couldnt even tell you who the Representatives were much less what their platforms or beliefs were.

Thats not going to get you votes.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-20-2021, 05:24 PM   #310
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

In Calgary Signal Hill, I was fully prepared to vote for the Liberal candidate. I went on the website to find out a little more about them, and realized they didn't even bother to post a photo or anything personal at all. They've been on Twitter since June 2019 and in 2+ years just retweeted one Calgary Police Service tweet. Nothing else.

I was ready to vote Liberal but I just couldn't support someone who puts that little effort into their campaign. At least post a photo and a brief bio. How embarrassing.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:28 PM   #311
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
In Calgary Signal Hill, I was fully prepared to vote for the Liberal candidate. I went on the website to find out a little more about them, and realized they didn't even bother to post a photo or anything personal at all. They've been on Twitter since June 2019 and in 2+ years just retweeted one Calgary Police Service tweet. Nothing else.

I was ready to vote Liberal but I just couldn't support someone who puts that little effort into their campaign. At least post a photo and a brief bio. How embarrassing.
It just goes to my point above.

You can lambaste the Albertan voter for being short-sighted or ignorant all you want, but if you dont even pretend to try and get that vote how can you point the finger at someone for not giving it to you?

Its like that old Dad-joke about the man who prayed to God every day to win the Lottery and then when he dies he asks God why he never answered his prayers to win the Lottery and God says to him:

"You had to at least buy a ticket."

Old 09-20-2021, 05:42 PM   #312
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Same in my riding. The lawn signs only recently popped up a few days ago and there is no name on it, just 'Green Party.'

Invigorating stuff.
Isn't that a good thing? 99.9% of people vote for the party or at least know who their choice is running with, so why waste money on personalized signage?

It shows they're really smart with their dollars!
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 06:17 PM   #313
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
It just goes to my point above.

You can lambaste the Albertan voter for being short-sighted or ignorant all you want, but if you dont even pretend to try and get that vote how can you point the finger at someone for not giving it to you?

Its like that old Dad-joke about the man who prayed to God every day to win the Lottery and then when he dies he asks God why he never answered his prayers to win the Lottery and God says to him:

"You had to at least buy a ticket."
The NDP candidate in the riding next to me has signs with his face on them, and his online presence is decent. The voting results will probably be the same as previous years. Why spend money here when the people won't change their vote no matter what happens?
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 06:29 PM   #314
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
The NDP candidate in the riding next to me has signs with his face on them, and his online presence is decent. The voting results will probably be the same as previous years. Why spend money here when the people won't change their vote no matter what happens?
But thats not necessarily the case. There are people here who have admitted to voting differently and changing their minds.

The fact is though, its not going to happen overnight and its not going to happen without effort.

Again...these Political Parties are the ones responsible for changing people's minds. If they put in absolutely no effort they cannot complain about the lack of fruits for their labours.

Just saying: "Albertans wont change their minds so screw it!!"

Its lazy. Its a cop-out. They've never been given a reason to change their minds or vote differently. The prevalent feeling appears to be that Albertans feel the other Political parties dont care about Alberta.

Those Political Parties, by their actions have done nothing but reinforce and validate that opinion.

There is absolutely no logical sense in whining about the fact that Alberta never changes their votes when absolutely nobody has ever even tried to give them a reason to.

And the longer it goes on with no action or effort from any alternative the more entrenched that position gets on both sides.

"We won't try because they won't change but they won't change because we don't try."

Wonderful.

I do not buy the premise that all Albertans' votes are completely immovable, but you've got to give them a reason. As it stands the only reasons Albertans have ever been given to change their votes has been negativity.

Not voting 'for' something or someone but rather voting 'against' something or someone else. Thats bad. That is terrible.

Old 09-20-2021, 06:58 PM   #315
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

If this were America with the kind of silly money involved maybe the LPC or NDP could take a serious run at more seats in Alberta. But there are limited dollars to be spent, and every party will spend more on truly competitive districts then taking shots in the dark. Even in 2015, the most vulnerable the CPC probably ever was in this province, they won 60% of the vote province wide. Pretty hard to justify heavy investment where even at your best, and even at the oppositions worst, you're still likely to lose by 20% or more.
Old 09-21-2021, 09:49 AM   #316
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shcokingly, despite the groundswell of support for the Rhino party here, my candidate only received 252 votes yesterday. My lawn sign was stolen almost immediately (it lasted two days), and I can only presume that was by the CPC as they saw the rising threat to their otherwise safe seat.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2021, 10:01 AM   #317
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I voted liberal first time in my life. It was a coin toss between lib and NDP since neither had a snowball's chance in my riding (shepard). I categorically dislike Trudeau, and I think Jagmeet's aim was just to gain seats and not win.

I couldn't vote conservative. I actually like O'Tool I think he's pragmatic enough on the economy and climate, but I shudder to think what his Covid response would be, given what we've seen from conservatives in this province.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2021, 10:11 AM   #318
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I voted liberal first time in my life. It was a coin toss between lib and NDP since neither had a snowball's chance in my riding (shepard). I categorically dislike Trudeau, and I think Jagmeet's aim was just to gain seats and not win.

I couldn't vote conservative. I actually like O'Tool I think he's pragmatic enough on the economy and climate, but I shudder to think what his Covid response would be, given what we've seen from conservatives in this province.
My issue with O'Toole is that I just don't really trust him. He ran a great party leadership campaign with a great platform. If that was who you were getting, he'd be an easy vote. Progressive, pragmatic, intelligent. Conservative, but no bagged.

Since then he's waffled, trying to gain a little favour here and there. Things like the dumb outhouse video made him come off like a child. He scrambled to try and keep some of the far right vote even though I doubt he really cares for it. He flubbed the vaccine issue and couldn't even be strong enough to admit he made a mistake praising Kenney.

It feels like he's just another politician playing the game. Which is too bad. Even Trudeau is too idiotically proud to just go whichever way the wind blows. O'Toole seems to get carried on it often.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2021, 10:17 AM   #319
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If Covid response is what swayed your vote, Trudeau didn't do anything anyways and let each province handle it the way they wanted to.
CalgaryFan1988 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:23 AM   #320
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
If Covid response is what swayed your vote, Trudeau didn't do anything anyways and let each province handle it the way they wanted to.

Except.... He provided money to provinces, cerb, etc..

The cons already said they would have given out more business tax cuts, and they likely end any programs they did put in place early, just like Alberta, and Saskatchewan tried to open early.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote