Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-15-2019, 04:01 AM   #61
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
The number of armchair lawyers here telling OP to sue is exactly why you do not take legal advice from the internet.
When you buy a (just guessing price) $30,000 vehicle it should last last more that 2 weeks and 500 km...only an idiot corrupt judge wouldn't rule in your favor and only a total fool wouldn't sue the dealership in such a sale of junk.

Not sayin you're one of them or not but it's the armchair defenders of corruption in big business that's the real problem
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:16 AM   #62
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Was this used car a "certified pro-owned" car from the dealership? If so there should be some level of warranty. Have you been dealing with the management of the dealership or just the sales guy? Perhaps have this escalated and push HARD. Used cars are used cars but they should also be mechanically and safety sound when they are sold to you. This wasn't a winter beater you bought.

When all else fails, a couple of threats of going to the media and or going to the media might do the trick. Next up might be to get a lawyer involved.

Good luck
going to the media could likely mean a reporter rolling his eyes and going "really?" no story here.
I don't see where the dealership at this point did anything wrong. they even offered to cover half the cost.

I may have missed it, but did the OP say if he bothered to get an independent inspection done?
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2019, 07:25 AM   #63
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Was this used car a "certified pro-owned" car from the dealership? If so there should be some level of warranty. Have you been dealing with the management of the dealership or just the sales guy? Perhaps have this escalated and push HARD. Used cars are used cars but they should also be mechanically and safety sound when they are sold to you. This wasn't a winter beater you bought.

When all else fails, a couple of threats of going to the media and or going to the media might do the trick. Next up might be to get a lawyer involved.

Good luck
It was bought at a non-MB dealership, which would mean it's not CPO. OP would have been shown the AMVIC mechanical fitness assessment that the dealership is required to perform and keep current during the purchase process and would have been required to sign it. There was also a warranty offered that was declined and OP chose not to have an independent inspection completed.

Having them offer to cover half the repair on a seal isn't a bad deal really, especially when it is an issue that wouldn't necessarily be detectable during the inspection.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to llwhiteoutll For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 12:03 AM   #64
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Every used vehicle ive purchased gets an independent assessment. They're called "Pre Purchase Inspections." Cost around $200. And they usually are great negotiation tools. First I confirm with the dealer that they are comfortable with the mechanic shop doing the inspection. Then I tell the mechanic to send a copy to the dealer and me at the same time to make it all transparent.

- first one, vw dealer, no issues, bought car. Happy camper

- second one, was private sale, mechanic found $9000 of issues. Walked away. Dude on other side was a real loser. Tried to convince me independent mechanic was crooked. Then said I was trying to pull a fast one on him. Told me to take it for a test drive so it would prove how great the car was and how the mechanic was stupid. What a bum. Emailed me back two weeks later wanting to chat. Lol.

- third one, was from a dealer. I managed to negotiate $300 off the car for the break wear and they did an additional $200 of work in filter replacements and other minor issues. Have had car 3 years now, no issues.

- fourth one was from a dealer. Dealer did about $150 of work post inspection. Had minor issues with vehicle after first 18 months. Had more to do with buying a coupe than anything else (under carriage takes a beating).

Last edited by GullFoss; 11-16-2019 at 12:06 AM.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post: