Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should Don Cherry have been fired?
Yes 287 48.81%
No 301 51.19%
Voters: 588. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2019, 12:58 PM   #1321
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
So Ron had almost 5 minutes of monologue but didn't actually say anything worthwhile. I honestly have no clue what he was trying to do with that time.
I just watched it and actually thought he handled it very well. What can anyone say in this situation? I thought MacLean did well to express his own emotional state, his conflict about how to properly handle it, and his understanding of the optics.

I am no fan of Ron MacLean, but it's pretty hard to fault him for this segment.

For those who were not happy with it, I am interested to hear how you would have done things differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 01:00 PM   #1322
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if the poll was taken before the start of the season and the question was should sports net bring back Don Cherry if the results would be any different?

I don’t think they would be.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 01:20 PM   #1323
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I just watched it and actually thought he handled it very well. What can anyone say in this situation? I thought MacLean did well to express his own emotional state, his conflict about how to properly handle it, and his understanding of the optics.

For those who were not happy with it, I am interested to hear how you would have done things differently.
I actually kind of like MacLean and I suspect it’s because I don’t regularly watch HNIC and the intermission segments. So my views are more based on nostalgia I suspect.

And I thought his bit here was OK. He seemed genuine but didn’t say much that was that memorable or well laid out. What could he have done differently? I wonder if he laid out some prepared comments for himself vs. stream of consciousness if it would have been better. Of course people would hate that too.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 01:22 PM   #1324
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find it weird that people who wouldn't have cared or said a word if HNIC had just decided to get rid of coaches corner because it was way way past its prime get all ***hurt that they canned it because Cherry screwed up and said something offensive
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 01:30 PM   #1325
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I actually kind of like MacLean and I suspect it’s because I don’t regularly watch HNIC and the intermission segments. So my views are more based on nostalgia I suspect.

And I thought his bit here was OK. He seemed genuine but didn’t say much that was that memorable or well laid out. What could he have done differently? I wonder if he laid out some prepared comments for himself vs. stream of consciousness if it would have been better. Of course people would hate that too.
Yeah, maybe that's fair. But I don't know: MacLean was clearly very emotional, and I think it's likely and entirely reasonable that his state of grief interferes with his capacity to say anything more than this, now.

What I liked about it was that it was real. He expressed genuine hurt and genuine bewilderment about what to do in an extremely difficult situation. I think you are right: something prepared would have been received very poorly. I, for one, would not have been all that impressed, because grief is the right thing to be expressed now. MacLean did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 01:32 PM   #1326
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I find it weird that people who wouldn't have cared or said a word if HNIC had just decided to get rid of coaches corner because it was way way past its prime get all ***hurt that they canned it because Cherry screwed up and said something offensive
I think it's fine if some people are upset. The nature of it in your scenario changes from purely a purely business decision, to a business AND political decision, and there's no shortage of outrage when things become political.

Besides, I think there would be a LOT of people upset if they cancelled Cherry even if it was purely based on business. He clearly has a lot of respect in hockey circles. If he retired on his own accord, I don't think anyone would have batted an eye.

It's not that he left, it's how he left that rubs people the wrong way.

But I'll just say that I think the decision to fire him was totally justified given everything we know about the situation and Cherry's history of inflammatory comments.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 01:33 PM   #1327
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Of all the things to fire Cherry for, this was the dumbest. RSN still living in 2017 Cancel-culture land.

Imagine he'll land @ TSN shortly
Not a chance.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 01:42 PM   #1328
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
The viciousness and glee from the sanctimonious, perhaps?
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 01:43 PM   #1329
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:

Yes, I thought it was well done for how emotional it must have been for him. I do wish he would have made a really pointed and purposeful statement to our immigrants, however.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 01:43 PM   #1330
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Open bigotry has no place on national hockey broadcasts or any national broadcast in Canada.

It was a really stupid hill to die on by Cherry, but the result was 100% earned.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 02:01 PM   #1331
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, maybe that's fair. But I don't know: MacLean was clearly very emotional, and I think it's likely and entirely reasonable that his state of grief interferes with his capacity to say anything more than this, now.
So grief a week after the fact interferes with capacity for one to articulate himself.

But within the first 24 hours, shock and a ton of pressure give no room for evaluating a comment within its context.

That’s rich.

I’ve seen enough of this thread. I’ll show myself out
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 02:30 PM   #1332
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post

Im sure there will be a better quality version uploaded soon.
This was a bland nothing statement but it is from Ron MacLean so not surprising, seems like a nice enough guy but he’s a human sleeping pill who’s clearly scared ####less of losing his job. Bottom line, he says a bunch of times that Don is his friend and that he loves him but then doesn’t actually defend him. Bobby Orr came out and said Cherry is not a bigot and didn’t deserve to be fired, if Ron was actually his friend he’d use that platform with everyone watching to do the same. That’s not mutually exclusive with disagreeing with dons words, a true friend would make that point. If Ron does actually believe that Cherry is a bigot, which is possible, then why are you calling him your friend. It’s a pretty big wiener move. From their 30 year relationship either you believe Cherry is a bigot in which case why are you saying he’s your friend and you love him, or you know he’s not a bigot but you’re too big of a coward to say anything defending your friend. Weak sauce from Maclean.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 02:39 PM   #1333
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Open bigotry has no place on national hockey broadcasts or any national broadcast in Canada.

It was a really stupid hill to die on by Cherry, but the result was 100% earned.
Some see it as bigotry.

Some see it as a valid observation.

Some people dont care.

People have their opinions and they're not lopsided as clearly shown in the poll. I personally dont care for politics and try not to involve myself in those conversations, and so to me on the outside of these sort of kerfuffles I see it as a principle fuelled observation that hes in the right to make but that could have been worded better. Is it worth firing a guy that's had a segment for nearly 40 years who has a preceding reputation for his bluntness on sensitive topics?

Probably not. Just because we've become more sensitive as a culture with our whistleblowing from the confines of our homes doesn't mean this was any more fireable an offence than other rants he's made over the years.

Put me in the camp of giving the guy the chance to redeem himself in a later segment with a little clarification and us all growing a thicker skin and coming to terms with the fact that Don has his own opinion, loves his vets and so do a number of canadians who feel that way.

I dont like politics and political correctness bleeding over into hockey. As far as I'm concerned coachs corner is/was a part of the 6 hours of entertainment every Saturday, and entertainment doesnt have to play by the rules, it's entertainment.

For sportsnet to suddenly perk up over complaints a full day after the fact when CC has been doing these rather opinionated segments for years is not on CC, it's on people's heightened reactiveness to it and is a reflection on us moreso than a guy that's been the way he has for a very long time now.

Last edited by djsFlames; 11-17-2019 at 02:42 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 03:00 PM   #1334
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
This was a bland nothing statement but it is from Ron MacLean so not surprising, seems like a nice enough guy but he’s a human sleeping pill who’s clearly scared ####less of losing his job. Bottom line, he says a bunch of times that Don is his friend and that he loves him but then doesn’t actually defend him. Bobby Orr came out and said Cherry is not a bigot and didn’t deserve to be fired, if Ron was actually his friend he’d use that platform with everyone watching to do the same. That’s not mutually exclusive with disagreeing with dons words, a true friend would make that point. If Ron does actually believe that Cherry is a bigot, which is possible, then why are you calling him your friend. It’s a pretty big wiener move. From their 30 year relationship either you believe Cherry is a bigot in which case why are you saying he’s your friend and you love him, or you know he’s not a bigot but you’re too big of a coward to say anything defending your friend. Weak sauce from Maclean.
Because Maclean doesn’t agree with Cherry’s “you people” message. He’s mentioned it at least a couple of times in his speech. Cherry has taught him that he should stand for his beliefs and that is what Maclean is doing, Standing his ground against Cherry’s rant

It’s still possible to be friends with someone and disagree with their views. Think Xavier and Magneto
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 03:13 PM   #1335
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

it's 2019. The rules have changed, and they haven't just changed for Don Cherry. 99.9 percent of people making those comments on air would have been fired without anybody batting an eye, but because it's Don Cherry, some people will even go ahead and blame Sportsnet ... okay then.

this whole thing has been fascinating to watch. In a nutshell, Canada is viewed as a polite and diverse country over here - basically the exact opposite of Don Cherry making divisive comments on primetime television and doubling-down on them, and, maybe even worse, people trying to bend over backwards to somehow defend him.

I value this community on here highly, but colour me surprised and, frankly, a bit taken aback by the poll results and some of the attempts to vindicate him in this thread. Feel free to hammer me for this.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 04:00 PM   #1336
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

What surprises me is the difficulty understanding Ron Maclean's place in this picture. Ron was listening and processing his own stuff...waiting for his moment to speak, listening to his Producer in his ear, and in that instant of Cherry-speak there was no time to process for reaction (or better: response).

He was as surprised as the rest of us. Few people can reasonably manage to react/respond to something like that in the blink of an eye - which is about all the time he had.

Rogers Sportsnet/CBC was surprised at the lack of the 7-second delay that was no more (it was removed in 2007).

Rogers Sportsnet/CBC *still* aired the segment on ALL other broadcasts. And no-one is slamming them.

What Maclean said the next day was prepared. What he said last night was not...and should not have been. It was the honest expression of a stunned friend that his pal of 38 years - likely from before some posters here were born - could do something so absolutely, positively stupid, in public, and without apology. (For that lack of apology alone, Cherry should have been terminated.)

I'm fed up to the eyeteeth with all things PC, SJW etc. but pure expressions of bigotry have no place being aired on a public broadcast (CBC or anyone else) in a country that welcomes all. Hopefully.

Then again, maybe I'm just an old guy yelling at clouds. (D'accord Boomer?)
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taxbuster For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 04:11 PM   #1337
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Because Maclean doesn’t agree with Cherry’s “you people” message. He’s mentioned it at least a couple of times in his speech. Cherry has taught him that he should stand for his beliefs and that is what Maclean is doing, Standing his ground against Cherry’s rant

It’s still possible to be friends with someone and disagree with their views. Think Xavier and Magneto
I totally agree, I think we’re on the same page with not having to agree with everything your friend may say. I’ve seen a lot of people saying Ron should’ve gone down with the ship which is dumb because they were cherrys words and he has to own them, no one else. MacLean is definitely somewhat of a victim in this story and I do feel bad for him in a sense, but I’ll just go back to the inconsistency in his statement from last night. He’s surely seen the vast reaction from certain people impugning Cherry himself as a bigot and a bad guy and not just taking issues with his words and that’s what I’d look for any of my friends to defend me against. Something along the lines of “I don’t agree with Dons statements from last night and he has yet to apologize for them but despite what he said he’s a good guy who does a lot for the community and is not a bigot as a person”. You can defend the person while condemning the words. and if on the chance you don’t want to defend the person because you believe from your years together that theyre a bigot then why are you calling him your friend.

Last edited by DiracSpike; 11-17-2019 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Terrible grammar
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:18 PM   #1338
VintageMilanLucic
In the Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
iI value this community on here highly, but colour me surprised and, frankly, a bit taken aback by the poll results and some of the attempts to vindicate him in this thread. Feel free to hammer me for this.
See, this is part of the problem. You clearly hold an opinion that may differ from others here and you feel the need to make a comment about being "hammered" over it. Intelligent conversation and respecting others' opinions is a lost art it seems.

Also, it is surprising to see the poll numbers here. Proof that the vocal minority (who devoted so much of their time posting and trying convince people that Don is a racist, etc.) would have you believe that the entire board was pro-firing. I also wonder how many posters didn't agree and went along with the loud crowd...

Online social (and anti-social) behavior is so fascinating to watch these days.
VintageMilanLucic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VintageMilanLucic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 04:46 PM   #1339
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
it's 2019. The rules have changed, and they haven't just changed for Don Cherry. 99.9 percent of people making those comments on air would have been fired without anybody batting an eye, but because it's Don Cherry, some people will even go ahead and blame Sportsnet ... okay then.

this whole thing has been fascinating to watch. In a nutshell, Canada is viewed as a polite and diverse country over here - basically the exact opposite of Don Cherry making divisive comments on primetime television and doubling-down on them, and, maybe even worse, people trying to bend over backwards to somehow defend him.

I value this community on here highly, but colour me surprised and, frankly, a bit taken aback by the poll results and some of the attempts to vindicate him in this thread. Feel free to hammer me for this.
I don't think the rules should change just to appease a group of vocal people looking for reasons to be upset that are abusing the tool of social media to cause turbulence where there doesn't need to be. The show is what it is, why are people playing hall monitor on a saturday night entertainment broadcast on a senior that's s big self admitted righty.

The thing is getting Don fired doesnt eliminate the fact that a number of Canadians share his thoughts (I personally dont care a lot about who wears poppies but I recognize that it's a big deal to some), and will continue to exist, and will voice those opinions. Trying to snuffle that out is an excercise in futility.

I dont know but I imagine It would be easy to incidentally word things poorly when you're on the spot and everything is live. Let alone as an 80-something. I say dumb #### around my crush that wasn't crafted with a lot of thought sometimes.

But the main thing is seeing Cherry speak about it from his home its clear he gets why it got backlash and he has pinpointed what he could've done differently. That's why I don't get the knee jerk decision.

And yes, guys that garner status of national icon to many sort of do get a little different treatment, sorry to say. The world is what it is, and doesnt align to our idealistic views of what is just, unfortunately.

I dont know why this is shocking to you. There are a lot of old school people out there still. Myself, I'm just in the pile that thinks an issue was made where there didn't need to be. Old man yells at cloud on a broadcast for five minutes, on a show that's reputation is built on exactly that. Who cares? Move on.

Rules can be saved for places where they actually matter. Coachs corner doesn't affect anybody's livelihood and that's my point at least. It's not about defending Don, or blaming sportsnet, it's about desiring to see people grow a pair and save their energy for things that are actually worthwhile to put this much energy and debate into.

Last edited by djsFlames; 11-17-2019 at 04:48 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:23 PM   #1340
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageMilanLucic View Post
See, this is part of the problem. You clearly hold an opinion that may differ from others here and you feel the need to make a comment about being "hammered" over it. Intelligent conversation and respecting others' opinions is a lost art it seems.

Also, it is surprising to see the poll numbers here. Proof that the vocal minority (who devoted so much of their time posting and trying convince people that Don is a racist, etc.) would have you believe that the entire board was pro-firing. I also wonder how many posters didn't agree and went along with the loud crowd...

Online social (and anti-social) behavior is so fascinating to watch these days.
You gonna give it more than a day before you start drawing such certain conclusions about this board?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post: