Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-04-2019, 10:20 AM   #3361
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I love those uber skilled guys who feel entitled to ball possession and space, then get indignant when a less skilled but more determined player muscles the ball away.

Give me the Pasquotti's of the world all day long. Love that guys desire and hustle.
Totally. Also played against Pasquotti for years, and I'd much rather be matched up against Boakai. Pasquotti is faster than you, stronger than you, and he'll work harder than you. Can't take a play off against him or he's gone.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:54 AM   #3362
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just curious - Pasquotti has unreal throw strength. Is that type of strength / ability to get the ball that deep the norm in places like the EPL, or is his throw quite rare in general?
Old 12-04-2019, 10:55 AM   #3363
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Just curious - Pasquotti has unreal throw-in strength. Is that type of throw strength the norm in places like the EPL, or is his quite rare in general?
There is some debate whether or not it is even a legal throw in.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 11:03 AM   #3364
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's rare even for the EPL. It's definitely an illegal throw. Really not sure how he gets away with it. He starts with the ball around his shoulder, then kind of comes through around his head. A legal throw is supposed to be straight back and forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 11:17 AM   #3365
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
It's rare even for the EPL. It's definitely an illegal throw. Really not sure how he gets away with it. He starts with the ball around his shoulder, then kind of comes through around his head. A legal throw is supposed to be straight back and forward.
It's a bit open to interpretation from what I see. The FIFA Laws state:
Quote:
At the moment of delivering the ball, the thrower must:
• stand facing the field of play
• have part of each foot on the touchline or on the ground outside the
touchline
• throw the ball with both hands from behind and over the head from
the point where it left the field of play
So, the "from behind and over the head" wording doesn't necessarily require it to be straight back and forward in my opinion. As long as it starts behind his head and comes over the top it should be legal. And yes, the "behind" is somewhat iffy so if the refs wanted to deem it illegal I wouldn't be shocked.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arsenal14 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 11:23 AM   #3366
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

It doesn't look illegal to me, but then I guess what I can't figure out is why more players wouldn't throw that way? He throws with a bit of a twist kind of how a rugby hooker throws the ball in, and you would think that others would adopt that?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 12:41 PM   #3367
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the problem is there's some grey area in the rule, but the interpretation in my experience has ALWAYS been you have to throw from directly behind your head. I guess as per the way it's written with FIFA, the ball is technically still behind your head even if it starts at your shoulder.
The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 09:06 AM   #3368
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cavalry re-signs Brown, Minatel, Giantsopoulos for 2020 season

https://canpl.ca/article/cavalry-re-...or-2020-season
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 09:25 AM   #3369
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Jordan Brown has really scored some great goals. I must admit, I've soured on him a bit since he threw his runner-up medal into the stands, but I'm still excited to see him next season.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:26 AM   #3370
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
Jordan Brown has really scored some great goals. I must admit, I've soured on him a bit since he threw his runner-up medal into the stands, but I'm still excited to see him next season.
His goal at BC Place will forever be one of my favourites.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 09:31 AM   #3371
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
His goal at BC Place will forever be one of my favourites.
So many players would have been a bit nervous/overexcited in that situation and taken another touch or two to move in closer, but at the risk of defenders catching up. Brown didn't. He took his shot with authority!

Don't forget his goal at the first CPL Al Classico, either. A very smart deflection that worked to perfection.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:37 AM   #3372
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

####ing rights! All three of these players are loved by the supporters, especially Minatel and Brown given their workrate and offensive production. Surprised to see Giantsopoulos back as I thought he might try and get more minutes elsewhere in CPL, but glad to have him.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 09:50 AM   #3373
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fantastic news. Big fan of Brown and Minatel, and I think they could do even better next season.

I like Giantsopolous too, but I agree that he’s a surprising re-sign since I figure he’d be a starter on most other teams. Nothing wrong with serious depth, just hope it doesn’t mean there’s plans to sell Carducci.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thunderball For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 09:59 AM   #3374
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't kid yourself, Carducci will move on to bigger and better things after next year. Which means the league is doing it's job.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 10:07 AM   #3375
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brown is easily the most athletic player on the team. He is one of the only guy on the roster last year who could push defenders with his size and speed.

Minatel is a surprise though. I though that because of his under utilization he would seek a bigger role somewhere else.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 10:16 AM   #3376
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Don't kid yourself, Carducci will move on to bigger and better things after next year. Which means the league is doing it's job.
No doubt. But ideally he plays most or all of next season, plus the Cavs get a good transfer fee for him. The league needs transfer fees to grow.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:30 AM   #3377
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Somehow I just now noticed the tags for this thread, love it.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:25 PM   #3378
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I'm too lazy to check, but I'm hoping this wasn't already posted:

Rumour: Intra-League Transfers Are Coming

With the inaugural Canadian Premier League season seeing so many players arrive on one-year contracts, it’s been widely expected that the first-ever transfer of a player from one CPL club to another would come in the offseason. According to OneSoccer analyst Kurt Larson, there may be a few intra-league roster moves arriving in the near future, some of which may surprise fans.

This could mean both players with expired contracts moving to another CPL club, or even trades between clubs seeing players go both ways.

Unlike Major League Soccer, clubs can’t trade players against their will, though that doesn’t mean that player swaps can’t happen – the clubs would just need the players involved to agree to such a move.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:42 PM   #3379
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Thrilled to hear Jordan Brown is returning! Depending on how the forwards pan out next year, I think he could hit double-digits in goals.

FWIW, Dominique Malonga really enjoyed his time in Calgary. He's a bit aloof, but it wouldn't be a major shock to see him back with the Cavs. The Tommy Wheeldon Jr./Spruce Meadows effect is real. Treat your players, staff well, and you'll receive it in spades in return.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 03:04 PM   #3380
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Thrilled to hear Jordan Brown is returning! Depending on how the forwards pan out next year, I think he could hit double-digits in goals.

FWIW, Dominique Malonga really enjoyed his time in Calgary. He's a bit aloof, but it wouldn't be a major shock to see him back with the Cavs. The Tommy Wheeldon Jr./Spruce Meadows effect is real. Treat your players, staff well, and you'll receive it in spades in return.
Appreciate the insight on Malonga. His body language on and off the pitch was sometimes negative but your post is a reminder that this doesn't mean the player isn't invested in the team nor unhappy.

I'm a bit torn on Malonga coming back. He's a class player in this league in terms of his touch and guile. And he obviously had a healthy goal return. But I found myself still wanting more from him. His work rate as a sole striker was sometimes lacking IMO and I thought he was often wasteful in front of goal. I wonder what kind of wages he was on. My thought was he must have been one of the higher earners on the team.
Closed Thread

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge