Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2019, 09:26 PM   #2281
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

We’ve tried to rebook with various airlines for different reasons. I believe the issue is something like, in order to rebook you they have to cancel your original booking and if they do that your seats will be taken since it’s sold out and someone is likely waiting.

You’ve done everything you can (and since I’m watching Vikings) “It’s up to the gods now.” Chances are you’ll be fine and there will be others on your flight making the same connection and they’ll hold it. Have a great trip.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 07:40 AM   #2282
justkidding
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I believe that is exactly what is going on with the booking.
Lesson learned. Next time I will think about the logistics well ahead of time instead of two weeks out.

Looking forward to to the trip!
justkidding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:54 AM   #2283
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
I've found connections in Vancouver to be tight; you'd be going through US Customs as well so theres time for that as well as potentially baggage. You might not have time to grab food especially if its busy in the airport. I would pack food/snacks or consider ordering on the plane just to be safe
A word of advice for anyone traveling with WestJet is to always bring your own food or snacks. For the last little while catering has been very inconsistent and WestJet is also trying to fine tune a Lean flying model (reducing weight by not stocking unnecessary items.) Many flights run out of buy on board food and snacks and I've even heard of flights to Vegas and Mexico running out of booze. If you are in Premium there is no need to worry. If you are at the front of the cabin you should have lots of selection. If you are at the back of the cabin you may go hungry if you don't have your own food.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 12-05-2019 at 07:58 AM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 10:12 AM   #2284
flamingreen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkidding View Post
I believe that is exactly what is going on with the booking.
Lesson learned. Next time I will think about the logistics well ahead of time instead of two weeks out.

Looking forward to to the trip!
They changed all their direct flights from Calgary to Hawaii to connections through Vancouver because of the Max 8 grounding (I'm in the same spot but in January). I would imagine a majority of the people on the Vancouver flight are on the Maui flight - you will get through security and customs just fine. Enjoy your trip.
flamingreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flamingreen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 10:37 AM   #2285
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingreen View Post
They changed all their direct flights from Calgary to Hawaii to connections through Vancouver because of the Max 8 grounding (I'm in the same spot but in January). I would imagine a majority of the people on the Vancouver flight are on the Maui flight - you will get through security and customs just fine. Enjoy your trip.
Honolulu flights from YYC were rerouted via Vancouver but they still offer non stop to Maui on the 787. Just not daily. You are correct in that this is due to the Max 8 groundings and the rescheduling required as a result.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:52 AM   #2286
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
A word of advice for anyone traveling with WestJet is to always bring your own food or snacks. For the last little while catering has been very inconsistent and WestJet is also trying to fine tune a Lean flying model (reducing weight by not stocking unnecessary items.) Many flights run out of buy on board food and snacks and I've even heard of flights to Vegas and Mexico running out of booze. If you are in Premium there is no need to worry. If you are at the front of the cabin you should have lots of selection. If you are at the back of the cabin you may go hungry if you don't have your own food.
Vegas has always run low/out of booze no matter which airline. It is just the nature of the flight with people wanting to "get started" earlier. That's goes to say not every flight, just depends on the group that are traveling at the time.

On another note, has any airline released any info on the Max 8 flying again? I still see some flights in Feb on it, but haven't seen any news abou the grounding lifted yet.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:52 AM   #2287
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

787 to Maui is nice, even Air Canada is adjusting and we have a period in January where they are operating the A333 on the YYC-OGG route.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:02 AM   #2288
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
Vegas has always run low/out of booze no matter which airline. It is just the nature of the flight with people wanting to "get started" earlier. That's goes to say not every flight, just depends on the group that are traveling at the time.

On another note, has any airline released any info on the Max 8 flying again? I still see some flights in Feb on it, but haven't seen any news abou the grounding lifted yet.
This is the most recent thing from Transport Canada, which doesn't sound promising:
Quote:
"Judging from the number and degree of open issues that we have, I am feeling that final decisions on acceptance will not be technically based," he wrote.

"This leaves me with a level of uneasiness that I cannot sit idly by and watch it pass by ... The only way I see moving forward at this point (and I say at this point because it's almost Christmas and we can always believe in miracles) is that MCAS has to go."

In a statement, Transport Canada said Marko's email "reflects working-level discussions between highly trained aircraft certification experts of key aviation authorities who have been given wide latitude for assessing all issues and looking at all alternatives for the safe return to service of the aircraft."

The department added that Marko's views "have not been subject to systematic review by Transport Canada."
https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/tran...t-go-1.4701780

I was under the impression MCAS is required for the plane to even fly, without heavily modifying the airframe to have a proper COG. So that leaves Boeing in a really tough spot.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:13 AM   #2289
flamingreen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Honolulu flights from YYC were rerouted via Vancouver but they still offer non stop to Maui on the 787. Just not daily. You are correct in that this is due to the Max 8 groundings and the rescheduling required as a result.
Yes, you're right - I had booked the direct Honolulu flight for January. Slightly annoyed as it was a more expensive option compared to a flight that had a connection through Vancouver but I wanted less headaches (two little kids).
flamingreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:16 AM   #2290
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A word of warning re booking direct flights on a Max 8. Typically when you buy a direct fight to HNL you pay a premium to fly the direct route, which was the Max 8 fight from YYC.

If WJ juggles the schedule and you end up re-routing through YVR, you will not get a refund for the difference between the direct flight and the one that connected through YVR. I confirmed this with the WJ service center.

I'm hoping WJA formally removes the Max8 from it's spring schedule soon so we can get some certainty for booking. Anyone have a sense as to when this might be? The did this in September for the December schedule.

For OGG flights - note that AC's YVR flight is a 762 operated by OmniAir.

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 12-05-2019 at 11:24 AM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:30 AM   #2291
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
A word of warning re booking direct flights on a Max 8. Typically when you buy a direct fight to HNL you pay a premium to fly the direct route, which was the Max 8 fight from YYC.

If WJ juggles the schedule and you end up re-routing through YVR, you will not get a refund for the difference between the direct flight and the one that connected through YVR. I confirmed this with the WJ service center.

I'm hoping WJA formally removes the Max8 from it's spring schedule soon so we can get some certainty for booking. Anyone have a sense as to when this might be? The did this in September for the December schedule.

For OGG flights - note that AC's YVR flight is a 762 operated by OmniAir.
Sounds like the FAA might sign off on the modifications relatively soon which is the first step in getting them back in the sky. Depending on how Transport Canada plays it there's a chance they could return to the fleet before spring which is what WestJet may be waiting to see.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:08 PM   #2292
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
So home chefs out there. Don’t bring your travel cooking appliances with you. Just suck it up and BBQ everything.

Well, if that's the case, I'm likely not going to travel anymore. I don't want to live in a world where I can't bring a sous vide machine, waffle iron, bread maker, and fondue set up in my luggage. The only joys I got from traveling somewhere was eating the exact same food I eat at home and spending all day in the kitchen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 12:09 PM   #2293
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Well, if that's the case, I'm likely not going to travel anymore. I don't want to live in a world where I can't bring a sous vide machine, waffle iron, bread maker, and fondue set up in my luggage. The only joys I got from traveling somewhere was eating the exact same food I eat at home and spending all day in the kitchen.
What, you are gonna leave your vitamix at home to? That doesn't sound like much of a vacation then.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:44 PM   #2294
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
The issue was a sous vide machine I packed in my luggage. Some dip at AC labeled my bag with a giant ammunition sticker and homeland siezed it.
They were probably just salty that it didn't turn out to be a gigantic sex toy.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:52 PM   #2295
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I once had to spend 20 minutes confirming that no, my tripod is not, in fact, 3 sticks of dynamite. It took a surprisingly long time for them to reach that conclusion.

Also, a diving mask may appear like a knife on an x-ray, if you view it from a very particular angle, but alas, it is just a diving mask.

Always fun when they are buried at the bottom of your extremely tightly well packed bag.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:16 PM   #2296
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Back in "The good old days" (circa 1996) I accidentally brought my dive knife on my carry-on bag to Maui. Flew YYC-YVR-HNL-OGG and it never once got flagged at security. Had about a 5" blade on it.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:38 PM   #2297
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Back in "The good old days" (circa 1996) I accidentally brought my dive knife on my carry-on bag to Maui. Flew YYC-YVR-HNL-OGG and it never once got flagged at security. Had about a 5" blade on it.
We had a similar experience with my cousin back in 2007 or so but it was with a toy gun. No one knew that she packed a toy gun in her carry-on. We were flying to a small town in Europe with two connections. The gun made it through the security scanners in YYC and FRA but was caught at our final transfer airport. It was pretty shocking.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:40 PM   #2298
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

A word of caution for anyone thinking of using the Park & Jet at YYC - don't.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6254497/p...ehicle-stolen/
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 03:51 PM   #2299
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh I haven't had an issue.

I'd say I just drive the beater there when I need to leave a vehicle but I notice they stole a 2006 GMC lol
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 05:26 PM   #2300
justkidding
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
We could have gotten a flight a day earlier on the 787 but I couldn’t get and extra night at the condo.
justkidding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc