Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-15-2019, 02:18 PM   #61
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
yet you hear of people’s claims being denied for technicalities or because an ‘Act of god’ caused the damage in question and we don’t cover that etc.
Could you provide some examples? Claims aren't denied anywhere as frequently as people seem to think they are and the ones that are are typically for a very good reason. Yet you keep hearing about horror stories people have told. Each time I hear that, I ask them for an example of a claim being denied. The response is usually along the lines of "well, I don't know all the details, just heard his claim was denied for whatever reason." Hardly a compelling example.

Quote:
I feel like I’ve never received any value for my money
It's not supposed to. As you said, you buy it for peace of mind. You've also never submitted a claim, which is good, but if you had to I'm willing to bet my bottom dollar you'd be pretty happy about having the whole thing covered vs having to cover it yourself.

Going back to the claims thing again. If you describe your property as accurately as you can and take care of your home, the odds of having a claim denied are extremely low. Same with cars. You describe its use accurately and who will be driving it, odds of a declined claim are very low.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 11-15-2019 at 02:23 PM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:47 PM   #62
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Could you provide some examples? Claims aren't denied anywhere as frequently as people seem to think they are and the ones that are are typically for a very good reason. Yet you keep hearing about horror stories people have told. Each time I hear that, I ask them for an example of a claim being denied. The response is usually along the lines of "well, I don't know all the details, just heard his claim was denied for whatever reason." Hardly a compelling example.

It's not supposed to. As you said, you buy it for peace of mind. You've also never submitted a claim, which is good, but if you had to I'm willing to bet my bottom dollar you'd be pretty happy about having the whole thing covered vs having to cover it yourself.

Going back to the claims thing again. If you describe your property as accurately as you can and take care of your home, the odds of having a claim denied are extremely low. Same with cars. You describe its use accurately and who will be driving it, odds of a declined claim are very low.
This is one of the most popular stories of denial.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...hole-1.5105650
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:49 PM   #63
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyfire89 View Post
Well, perhaps scam is too strong of a word. It’s illegal to not have some form of auto insurance and most people aren’t willing to risk not having home insurance and yet you hear of people’s claims being denied for technicalities or because an ‘Act of god’ caused the damage in question and we don’t cover that etc. Some of these companies are in the 100s of millions of dollars or billions of dollars of profit range and they’re denying claims? IMO, if the damage is determined to be caused by anything other than your own negligence and/or criminal act (ie. willfully setting fire to your own property) you should be covered, period. I make sure to fully peruse the fine print on any insurance coverage I get because if you don’t, you can really get screwed if something catastrophic happens and you failed to read page 7, paragraph 9, sub-para iii, which states blah blah blah etc.

In my particular case, I feel like I’ve never received any value for my money (other than peace of mind) due to the fact that I’ve been paying for home insurance for a looooong time and auto insurance for even longer (decades) and have never submitted a single claim. My rates keep going up though. Awesome clients like me who just keep paying year after year and never submit a claim should be getting better discounts
Do you shop around every year? Insurance companies loves people who don't make any claims and don't shop around.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:06 PM   #64
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

^^^I certainly do.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:08 PM   #65
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
This is one of the most popular stories of denial.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...hole-1.5105650
I think you have to admit, that's a pretty extreme example. That case is before the courts and suspect it's outcome will set precedent for future claims like it.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:17 PM   #66
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyfire89 View Post
My rates keep going up though. Awesome clients like me who just keep paying year after year and never submit a claim should be getting better discounts
Yes you should unfortunately that isn't how insurance works. The whole purpose of insurance is everyone sharing costs. Well if all those costs keep going up rates are going to keep going up.

There is no accountability to keeping costs down. Until you get your disaster recovery people quoting properly and auto mechanics stop having different prices for things that go through insurance vs not going through insurance the problem is going to keep going. People wanting to get "their money back" that they put in.

Let's not even get into what happens if global warming forces migration from the coast or the Vancouver earthquake happens.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:42 AM   #67
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
I think you have to admit, that's a pretty extreme example. That case is before the courts and suspect it's outcome will set precedent for future claims like it.
Oh certainly, before they closed comments on that story it was crazy how bad the anti insurance sentiment was. Every wanting them to just pay it and sure I would like them to be indemnified also but you can’t just pay something not covered or you open a huge can of worms.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they want to pay the claim out but yeah they need to go through the proper channels to set precident for future claims.
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2019, 11:44 AM   #68
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've never been in an accident and bundled auto with home and pay $350 on the year for JUST liability.

I believe it's Aviva. No complaints from me for a 20% increase considering I about halved the cost by bundling it.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:22 PM   #69
Twitchy15
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
I've never been in an accident and bundled auto with home and pay $350 on the year for JUST liability.

I believe it's Aviva. No complaints from me for a 20% increase considering I about halved the cost by bundling it.
For home and auto? $350 seriously?
Twitchy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:09 PM   #70
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:

Sorry do you mean $350/ month for home and auto combined or $350 for the entire year meaning just under $30/month?

Just trying to get a sense of how bad to feel about myself.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:34 PM   #71
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Aviva making their existing customers basically re-apply last year through that stupid CSIO form - and providing a horrible customer service experience during its completion - are reasons why I didn't use them. My coverage lapsed before it could get sorted out, and they said I'd have to go through a new customer registration - even through they had me on file - and wouldn't be able to provide insurance for up to four weeks. #### them and the horse the rode in on. Went straight to another provider who helped me in 10 minutes with a way better rate and insurance that day. I had a fun time laying into them on the phone after being with them for 12 years (RBC before).

I am sure Aviva were trying to get rid of me as a client, even though I've made no claims. My new provider said they got a huge spike in sign-ups because Aviva was the donkey's ass and were trying to get out of the insurance game in Alberta. I tend to believe them.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:23 PM   #72
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

We just got a substantial reduction on our Car insurance today.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:04 PM   #73
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've shopped around every year for the past 3. Changed providers each time. Each time I've found my rate to stay somewhat similar (small increase). It's worth it to shop every time!
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:40 PM   #74
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchy15 View Post
For home and auto? $350 seriously?
He is saying he has it bundled and only has liability for the vehicle and pays $350/year for auto. Collision is the expensive one.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:42 PM   #75
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meanwhile in Quebec they pay sweet F all for insurance.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 03:02 PM   #76
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
He is saying he has it bundled and only has liability for the vehicle and pays $350/year for auto. Collision is the expensive one.
This is correct.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:15 PM   #77
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is correct.
Is that $1million liability, or more? I think some plans offer $500 000 which isn't enough. I think I upped mine to $2 million a few years ago.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 03:42 PM   #78
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I think I upped mine to $2 million a few years ago.

A wise move. For most top rated drives, the increase in premium for 1 to 2 Million isn't all that much.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:59 PM   #79
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Is that $1million liability, or more? I think some plans offer $500 000 which isn't enough. I think I upped mine to $2 million a few years ago.
$1 million.

I heard somewhere that the highest someone has been liable for in a car accident in Alberta was still below $1 million so $2 million was unnecessary. But don't quote me on that.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheSutterDynasty For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 09:22 AM   #80
Harju
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
$1 million.

I heard somewhere that the highest someone has been liable for in a car accident in Alberta was still below $1 million so $2 million was unnecessary. But don't quote me on that.
A family member is a claims adjuster. She says it is becoming common for individuals to be sued for amounts over and above the policy limits. This is mainly because a millions dollars doesn't go as far as it used to.
She recommends an umbrella policy as apparently this is much cheaper than increasing limits on auto/home insurance. Umbrella policies make sense if you have significant assets they could go after.
Harju is offline   Reply With Quote