Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2015, 01:53 PM   #1181
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Would you mind posting the study for this claim? The one study I saw that showed was skewed somewhat significantly by incidents that I wouldn't really consider driving accidents including passengers opening up the door into traffic.

I don't doubt that Uber drivers experience more accidents, as they are driving in places they don't know, are likely using their phones a bit more than the average driver, are driving around drunk passengers, potentially doing so at off-hours while tired, etc. I just haven't seen a study suggesting they are getting into accidents at 6x the rate of the general population.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
In relation to taxi's? That stop in the middle of roads to let people out?
- That stop in the middle of the road.
- That rarely use turn signals.
- That don't know how to navigate a traffic circle.
- That drive whatever speed limit they feel.
- etc, etc etc.

Honestly there is no way regular people driving for uber can be any worse that the current 'professionals' that drive taxi's in this city. For a group that drives for their living, they are by far chronically the worst drivers on the road in my experience and opinion.

Get cutoff by someone with no blinker used? 50/50 chance its a cabbie.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2015, 02:14 PM   #1182
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
If you get cabbies refusing fares, kindly let them know that they are bound by the terms of their license with the city, to accept all fares, regardless of trip length. They usually change their tune pretty quickly. If not, note their license number, and report them.

Haha, okay. When I'm absolutely gunned I'll just quickly note all that information down.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:25 PM   #1183
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Haha, okay. When I'm absolutely gunned I'll just quickly note all that information down.
Just take a pic of the back of their cab with your phone.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:27 PM   #1184
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
Now that Uber is out, how hard it is to get a taxi at the airport late at night around Christmas time? I might have to do that park and fly thing if it is impossible to get taxi home from the airport this Christmas.
Home from the airport is the only place in the city you're guaranteed a instant pickup.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dan02 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2015, 02:30 PM   #1185
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Now that Uber is out, how hard it is to get a taxi at the airport late at night around Christmas time? I might have to do that park and fly thing if it is impossible to get taxi home from the airport this Christmas.
I've never done it, but I don't think you'll have a problem getting a cab at the airport.

I believe part of the deal between the Airport Authority and Associated that gives Associated exclusive rights to use the taxi stands at the airport is that Associated will ensure they have cabs available at the airport at all times.

The airport is the one place in this city where you should never have a problem getting a cab.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:06 PM   #1186
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
Home from the airport is the only place in the city you're guaranteed a instant pickup.
Roadhouse was like that back in the day.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2015, 04:36 PM   #1187
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
It's never hard to get a cab at the airport. They line up there because they know they'll get like an $80 fare if you're going anywhere in the south of the city.

Edit: late to the party on this
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2015, 06:18 PM   #1188
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
It's never hard to get a cab at the airport. They line up there because they know they'll get like an $80 fare if you're going anywhere in the south of the city.

Edit: late to the party on this
They make bank sitting around at the airport or the Sandman through some mechanism. There's no other reason to be this stubborn.

They double dip with chits and $120 invoices to company parties for being responsible.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:09 PM   #1189
schooner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Took an Uber for the first time today. As said by many it was super easy. Signed up in a couple minutes and it took another four for my ride.

Aside from all the issues discussed in this thread I was most interested in price. I am staying at a hotel north of Miami and went to the Panthers game. It's 20 miles and mostly interstates. Went there during bumper to bumper rush hour in an Uber for $26. Closest Uber was 20 mins away when I left and it was just easier to grab a waiting cab. There was zero traffic on the way back and it cost $48.
schooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:51 PM   #1190
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ I know you said interstates, but how does Uber deal with tolls if they are encountered?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 12:28 AM   #1191
schooner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
^^ I know you said interstates, but how does Uber deal with tolls if they are encountered?
They pass on the tolls to the passenger. Only speaking for Miami and Florida, there are three types of tolls I noticed. The most expensive is the major interstate between Orlando and Miami, I drove a rental down and paid I think $17. Within the city there are express lanes which have a toll, the uber never uses these. And the final one is a small toll on some of the interstates that connect municipalities in the greater Miami area, for example going to Sunrise to watch a Panthers game. Both of the last two are paid via an electronic tracker rather than a ticket booth. They are both quite inexpensive, about .25 to .50. When I got my itemized receipt by email I saw that within the $26 I paid about $1.50 was tolls.
schooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:02 AM   #1192
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can one use an Uber without the smartphone app?
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:28 AM   #1193
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
Can one use an Uber without the smartphone app?
You can use the mobile site, but otherwise no.
morgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 03:33 PM   #1194
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Wanted to bump this thread because I reached out to my councillor recently about the injunction and his reply surprised me, because it seemed to be a pretty big 180 from his previous tone.

He gave a clear message that the city will be amending the bylaws in February to allow Uber to operate.

The public response must have been enormously positive, to the point that it drowned out the taxi cartel.

Apologies if this was already addressed in this thread.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2015, 03:39 PM   #1195
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sounds about right, I figured a soon as the Christmas party rush was over they'd get down to actually doing something about it.
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 03:41 PM   #1196
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

How long until Uber's hotshot lawyers get this BS injunction thrown out?

I've got a couple Christmas parties coming up.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:05 PM   #1197
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
He gave a clear message that the city will be amending the bylaws in February to allow Uber to operate.

The public response must have been enormously positive, to the point that it drowned out the taxi cartel.
And this is why I should be president for life. I'd get everyone in a room and lock the door until it was hammered out. Be done in a week instead of 4 months.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:09 PM   #1198
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
And this is why I should be president for life. I'd get everyone in a room and lock the door until it was hammered out. Be done in a week instead of 4 months.
4 months.... they've had 2+ years to do something
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:16 PM   #1199
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The Taxi commission wants xmas to themselves! Of course this will finish after the xmas season
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:20 PM   #1200
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Taxi companies won't see a dime from me after uber re-starts. Frustrating as I would being taking an uber to the hockey game tonight.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote