Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2020, 05:45 PM   #21
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent Wookie View Post
Why do you keep bringing this up? Comparing you or I to police. Seriously man. Go do some reading. They are not the same. They have powers specifically written into the criminal code. Now if you want to say the criminal code should be changed, not only is that silly, but no one would sign up to be a cop.

That London video seems to be the standard of how to deal with the knife wielding assailant. It's great if you have 30 cops there. Someone mentioned 1900 sworn members in Calgary acknowledging that not all 1900 are working at one time. You also have to consider how many in uniform, how many are first responders and then how many are working on a given shift. I'd suggest, you may have 10 - 20 in an ENTIRE district at times.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
I'd rather this guy gets hit with something like an arwen or potentially a taser than having cops get near a guy with a machete. Even with shields.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:55 PM   #22
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

People realize she was shot 5 times right??
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 05:57 PM   #23
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is suicide by cop still a thing? Could be one way this story adds up.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:58 PM   #24
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
You and I aren't allowed to shoot someone because they have a knife and are threatening us, we have to prove we had no alternative and would absolutley have been injured or killed if we did anything else and could not escape, if we don't retreat when we can but choose to shoot we go to jail.
There is no duty to retreat in Canada. Self defence laws basically look at the acts committed and whether they seem reasonable in the circumstances, all the way from pushing someone away from you to lethal force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Doesn’t really have any bearing, police shoot until the threat is gone. One round or a full mag, the stopping point is when there is no more threat presented.

Last edited by llwhiteoutll; 06-05-2020 at 06:00 PM.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:00 PM   #25
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Need to have all the facts including seeing the video (there may not be any) before I make any judgments.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 06:00 PM   #26
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That doesn't mean a whole lot. Was the threat over? Maybe not after one shot. We weren't there man.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:03 PM   #27
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Decision to use lethal force means just that. 5 shots are better than 1.
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 06:05 PM   #28
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
That doesn't mean a whole lot. Was the threat over? Maybe not after one shot. We weren't there man.
I've said many times that we need to wait for the facts, but the mental gymnastics sticking up for the cop in here are something else. I'm curious to understand why a small female with a knife needed to be shot 5 times in order for the threat to be removed. We wont know for months.
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 06:09 PM   #29
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've said many times that we need to wait for the facts, but the mental gymnastics sticking up for the cop in here are something else. I'm curious to understand why a small female with a knife needed to be shot 5 times in order for the threat to be removed. We wont know for months.
Because a knife is a lethal threat whether it's from a small woman or a giant man. It doesn't matter. And if you say they should have shot her in the leg...
Old 06-05-2020, 06:11 PM   #30
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
What would you do if a "small women with a knife" came at you? Assuming that is what happened, what did you expect the cop to do shoot her once tenderly?
Old 06-05-2020, 06:12 PM   #31
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Because a knife is a lethal threat whether it's from a small woman or a giant man. It doesn't matter. And if you say they should have shot her in the leg...
except as best I can find no policeman in modern history in Canada or the US has been killed with a knife, not one
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 06:13 PM   #32
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
What would you do if a "small women with a knife" came at you? Assuming that is what happened, what did you expect the cop to do shoot her once tenderly?
Id run away, you know keep 10 or 15 feet between me and her, until back up arrived, pretty much what I have had to do when I have had kids threaten me with a knife
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 06:15 PM   #33
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My problem is that people are assuming a lot with no facts. Reaching really.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:17 PM   #34
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
My problem is that people are assuming a lot with no facts. Reaching really.
That's exactly what you are doing. Saying this woman didn't need to be shot 5 times. Think, 1 shot or 5 or 10, they are all designed to be lethal. The only question is was lethal force necessary. We don't know.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:18 PM   #35
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's exactly what you are doing. Saying this woman didn't need to be shot 5 times. Think, 1 shot or 5 or 10, they are all designed to be lethal. The only question is was lethal force necessary. We don't know.
Where did I say she didnt need to be shot 5 times? Where did I say the cop was in the wrong?
Old 06-05-2020, 06:19 PM   #36
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
except as best I can find no policeman in modern history in Canada or the US has been killed with a knife, not one
I wonder why that is. Who knows impossible to figure it out.
Quote:
Id run away, you know keep 10 or 15 feet between me and her, until back up arrived, pretty much what I have had to do when I have had kids threaten me with a knife
Makes you wonder how anyone dies by stabbing. All they ever have to do is run away. As for your kids threatening you with a knife, WTF. edit - glad I misread that was concerned for a bit.

Last edited by zamler; 06-05-2020 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:21 PM   #37
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems to me zamler that you're the one sticking up for the cop, without facts.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:27 PM   #38
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Seems to me zamler that you're the one sticking up for the cop, without facts.
That's your confirmation bias, I'm not doing that. I don't know what happened, if I had to guess I'd say it is a bit more likely the officer over reacted. But that may not be the case this person could have charged the officer holding a knife that will get you justifiably shot.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:30 PM   #39
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Where did I say she didnt need to be shot 5 times? Where did I say the cop was in the wrong?
Quote:
What am I missing.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:30 PM   #40
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's your confirmation bias, I'm not doing that. I don't know what happened, if I had to guess I'd say it is a bit more likely the officer over reacted. But that may not be the case this person could have charged the officer holding a knife that will get you justifiably shot.
Its my confirmation bias but not yours? Interesting

By the way, Wimbledon said "kids" not "his kids".