Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-06-2020, 07:15 PM   #561
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Drove out to Elbow Falls just to get out of the house, was busier than I've ever seen. We didn't get out of the car, but it was packed to the point it felt like a viral breeding ground.
I went and hiked prarie Mountain Saturday Morning. I came down around 11 and it was definitely busy with the parking lot filling up. However on the trail coming down I only encountered 5 or 6 groups and with Prairie the trail is so braided you can easily keep good spacing. Also I think a lot of the traffic is bikers headed down highway 66.

So at least when I was leaving there were lots of cars but very low density of people.

What will cause issues though is the number of clearly separate homes hiking in non-spaced groups. If the 10 or so groups that I would suspect being from separate homes only 1 was socially distanced.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:47 AM   #562
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Social distancing shouldn’t be a problem for me, I’m usually so far behind the rest of the group I may as well be by myself.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2020, 03:33 PM   #563
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone willing to share somewhere for a nice hike where they would have an outhouse open?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:47 PM   #564
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Anyone willing to share somewhere for a nice hike where they would have an outhouse open?
Little Elbow has outhouses open.

So you have Forgetmenot ridge,, Powderface, Nahahi ridge from that parking lot.

Fullerton loop had outhouses open as well.

The whole highway 66 was really busy last weekend so make sure you are getting there before 10 or parking is an issue. I did forget me not ridge last weekend and because you have to Ford a stream wasn’t that busy. Powder face and Nahahi looked busy.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2020, 08:56 PM   #565
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I went and hiked prarie Mountain Saturday Morning. I came down around 11 and it was definitely busy with the parking lot filling up. However on the trail coming down I only encountered 5 or 6 groups and with Prairie the trail is so braided you can easily keep good spacing. Also I think a lot of the traffic is bikers headed down highway 66.

So at least when I was leaving there were lots of cars but very low density of people.

What will cause issues though is the number of clearly separate homes hiking in non-spaced groups. If the 10 or so groups that I would suspect being from separate homes only 1 was socially distanced.
Those people just see some things opened up and government says numbers are down so they figure they can resume normal social activities.

Besides it's too much effort to maintain distance during a grueling hike!

We'll probably see the effects of all these low key group outings in a month or so.

Last edited by djsFlames; 05-29-2020 at 09:00 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:50 AM   #566
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I forgot to add bring your own toilet paper and hand sanitizer. I think they had signs on them saying they weren’t sticking them.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2020, 06:46 PM   #567
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

With this pandemic I've been noticing people in Alberta don't seem to know or care about yielding to ascending hikers, which is pretty standard hiking etiquette. Normally I wouldn't care but on narrow trails it can be annoying trying to maintain physical distancing.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:04 PM   #568
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
With this pandemic I've been noticing people in Alberta don't seem to know or care about yielding to ascending hikers, which is pretty standard hiking etiquette. Normally I wouldn't care but on narrow trails it can be annoying trying to maintain physical distancing.

There’s probably too many other unwritten rules of this ilk (not too mention real rules that do need to be written down), but it would be nice if they could include it among the trailhead map/signage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2020, 08:08 PM   #569
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Incredibly excited for banff/jasper/yoho/kootenay parks to reopen this week.

Might give it several days though for people to fan out and drive the wildlife back into the deeper woods.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:46 AM   #570
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
I honestly was not aware this was a thing. Normally I yield to descending hikers but that is because it gives me a chance to stop and catch my breath!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 08:51 AM   #571
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I honestly was not aware this was a thing. Normally I yield to descending hikers but that is because it gives me a chance to stop and catch my breath!
95% of people yield to the people coming down because its easier and quicker.

We did Lady Mac on saturday and it was totally packed. Like we passed probably 300 people easy if not more. Basically everyone coming up stopped for us before we even had a chance to react while coming down, and we stopped for people coming down while going up. I get it might not be the proper thing but it just seems so much easier and what the majority of people do.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2020, 11:04 AM   #572
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

How do you die on a scree slope? I honestly don't know. Two others wiped out after the guy who died too. They've closed the trail now, I'd assume for the rest of the summer. I know people like to boot ski down the scree in this spot. There are just too many people in the mountains now and way too many people on the same ten hikes.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/hiker-dea...u8Vjm9O4Myc3OM
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:40 AM   #573
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
How do you die on a scree slope? I honestly don't know. Two others wiped out after the guy who died too. They've closed the trail now, I'd assume for the rest of the summer. I know people like to boot ski down the scree in this spot. There are just too many people in the mountains now and way too many people on the same ten hikes.

Without looking at the article, Rock fall. Yamuska is a helmet mandatory hike. Most don’t wear helmets.

After reading the article I don’t quite understand how you fall 6m on the scree slope without being off trail. Maybe they mean skid or roll but it’s what I would describe as a fall.

They should take down the cable accords the sketchy section.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:56 AM   #574
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Without looking at the article, Rock fall. Yamuska is a helmet mandatory hike. Most don’t wear helmets.

After reading the article I don’t quite understand how you fall 6m on the scree slope without being off trail. Maybe they mean skid or roll but it’s what I would describe as a fall.

They should take down the cable accords the sketchy section.

There was a video of the helicopter picking the guy up and he was right at the bottom of the scree slope, no where near any of the cliffy bits. He was just running down the scree when it happened. I guess he wiped out and a couple small scree rocks must have got him in the head. I really didn't know it could be dangerous like that.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:46 PM   #575
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

THREE incidents in one day on Yam? Yikes.
Torture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:06 PM   #576
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's nuts. Again. The past few years have been crazy busy. Was talking to some friends yesterday who headed out to cycle on the Bow Valley Parkway but turned around at Hwy 68 due to traffic. I went to Springbank airport yesterday morning, just before 10. Stoney Trail was backed up past Tuscany and it was stop and go on the TCH as far as I could see even after I turned off at Springbank. My wife was in K Country and said it was as busy as she's seen it in the past few years. Barrier Lake was a zoo, people treating it as a beach hangout based on what they were carrying from their vehicles.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:18 PM   #577
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weekends are clearly insane now. I went Thursday morning and Moraine had barely anybody in the morning, 93 had nobody on it up to Sask Crossing, and I was the only one at Crescent Falls. I wouldn't even consider heading west on a Saturday.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:38 PM   #578
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
It's nuts. Again. The past few years have been crazy busy. Was talking to some friends yesterday who headed out to cycle on the Bow Valley Parkway but turned around at Hwy 68 due to traffic. I went to Springbank airport yesterday morning, just before 10. Stoney Trail was backed up past Tuscany and it was stop and go on the TCH as far as I could see even after I turned off at Springbank. My wife was in K Country and said it was as busy as she's seen it in the past few years. Barrier Lake was a zoo, people treating it as a beach hangout based on what they were carrying from their vehicles.

It's really sad. It seems like when the Hike Alberta FB page took off people started going out more. It went from like 3k members to 35k in a couple months. Week days are not too much better.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:42 PM   #579
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's really sad. It seems like when the Hike Alberta FB page took off people started going out more. It went from like 3k members to 35k in a couple months. Week days are not too much better.
As long as your out of the city before 8 usually you can avoid the crowds and traffic on the way in

Hopefully this results in more investment into trail maintenance and development. As much as I don’t like busy trails people getting out on them is good.

Personally I blame the free park passes for Canada 150 for the dramatic increase in use.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:44 PM   #580
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As long as your out of the city before 8 usually you can avoid the crowds and traffic on the way in

Hopefully this results in more investment into trail maintenance and development. As much as I don’t like busy trails people getting out on them is good. Personally I blame the free park passes for Canada 150 for the dramatic increase in use.

The traffic is likely because of the bridge work they are doing knocking it down to single lane in a few places

Tags
backcountry , backpacking , hiking , tenting , wilderness