Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2020, 09:25 AM   #1341
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Started my first brisket of the season last night, was an absolute gong show. Should have played it safe and just used my WSM, just load it up and pretty much forget it. But I have been watching the Aaron Franklin brisket MasterClass so I boldly decided to use my offset smoker. Such a bear for temperature control. I way overloaded with charcoal to start, ended up having to shovel some of the coals out to get it to behave. Even with the draw vent almost closed it was just raging. After a midnight start, I finally could snooze a bit at about 2:00. It's been pretty good since 3:00. I wrapped it in butcher paper at 7:00, figure it will be off by 11:00 or 12:00 given where the temperatures are.

Went with Buffalo lump charcoal this time, very impressed. Huge pieces, not much little stuff or dust.

Will throw a turkey breast on shortly, a bit of sausage and bacon explosions later. Always figure once the smoker is up and running, might as well make the most of it.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 12:48 PM   #1342
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Started my first brisket of the season last night, was an absolute gong show. Should have played it safe and just used my WSM, just load it up and pretty much forget it. But I have been watching the Aaron Franklin brisket MasterClass so I boldly decided to use my offset smoker. Such a bear for temperature control. I way overloaded with charcoal to start, ended up having to shovel some of the coals out to get it to behave. Even with the draw vent almost closed it was just raging. After a midnight start, I finally could snooze a bit at about 2:00. It's been pretty good since 3:00. I wrapped it in butcher paper at 7:00, figure it will be off by 11:00 or 12:00 given where the temperatures are.

Went with Buffalo lump charcoal this time, very impressed. Huge pieces, not much little stuff or dust.

Will throw a turkey breast on shortly, a bit of sausage and bacon explosions later. Always figure once the smoker is up and running, might as well make the most of it.
Sounds tastey.

Really love doing Turkey breast, always turn out well and don't take very long!
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:29 AM   #1343
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone with a Green Mountain using a universal cover on it? Wondering about fit. Looking at getting the grill but $125 for a cover seems ridiculous.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:39 AM   #1344
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Where do you all buy lump charcoal from? I've been going el cheapo and buying $10 bags of Royal Oak, but the last couple of bags had too much dust and small golf ball-sized pieces. I think it might be time to try something a bit better.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:43 AM   #1345
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
Where do you all buy lump charcoal from? I've been going el cheapo and buying $10 bags of Royal Oak, but the last couple of bags had too much dust and small golf ball-sized pieces. I think it might be time to try something a bit better.
Barbecues Galore, I've tried a bunch of different kinds and have found the Big Green Egg stuff to be the most consistent. I don't have an Egg, it's not about the brand, in my experience it's the best.

I picked up a bag of this https://www.lowes.ca/product/charcoa...harcoal-422365 last year and was pleasantly surprised by it for the price.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanni For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 10:44 AM   #1346
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
I like to use Buffalo or Wicked Good from BBQ's Galore.
https://barbecuesgalore.ca/collectio...-type_charcoal
Old 06-12-2020, 10:53 AM   #1347
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
Anyone with a Green Mountain using a universal cover on it? Wondering about fit. Looking at getting the grill but $125 for a cover seems ridiculous.
Check out Paradise Bay hot tubs. I don't think mine cost nearly that much.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:42 AM   #1348
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
Barbecues Galore, I've tried a bunch of different kinds and have found the Big Green Egg stuff to be the most consistent. I don't have an Egg, it's not about the brand, in my experience it's the best.

I picked up a bag of this https://www.lowes.ca/product/charcoa...harcoal-422365 last year and was pleasantly surprised by it for the price.
The Sugar Maple has been my go to for years honestly, it’s not too bad at all. If you haven’t tried the Komodo Joe stuff it’s worth a shot, probably some of the largest chunks I have ever used. I’m just too cheap to buy it on the regular.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 04:54 AM   #1349
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh man we're having a good smoking day at the bagger house, brisket, a whole duck and beef siblings. Long ways to go but should be awesome
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2020, 07:36 AM   #1350
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Oh man we're having a good smoking day at the bagger house, brisket, a whole duck and beef siblings. Long ways to go but should be awesome
must be a heck of a smoker if you can fit 2 cows on it. Also, how did you know they were siblings??
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2020, 06:41 AM   #1351
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
must be a heck of a smoker if you can fit 2 cows on it. Also, how did you know they were siblings??
We nicknamed the smoker the barn burner! Lol **riblings
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2020, 07:59 AM   #1352
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Chatting with some folks at Barbecues Galore, sounds like charcoal is going to be the next pandemic commodity to run out. Might be running out of some types in July.

That said, my Co-op had tons of Kingsford briquettes if that's your thing.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:25 AM   #1353
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Good to know! I’ll have to load up. I’ve gone through 3 bags in the last couple of months.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 03:50 PM   #1354
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's everyone planning for Father's Day BBQ?

We're doing some beef back ribs, a 35 oz bone in ribeye, and a couple of 1.5" centre cut pork chops. Probably going to sous vide the ribeye and pork chops then finish them on the grill. Really hoping the rain holds off on Sunday.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:26 AM   #1355
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
What's everyone planning for Father's Day BBQ?

We're doing some beef back ribs, a 35 oz bone in ribeye, and a couple of 1.5" centre cut pork chops. Probably going to sous vide the ribeye and pork chops then finish them on the grill. Really hoping the rain holds off on Sunday.
I have a brisket on the smoker. Looks like a perfect day to be smoking. I'm thinking it might be time to buy myself a nice vertical smoker as the smoker I use now is a large custom built "shack." I built it as a large smoker as I planned to do some big smokes for sausage and beef jerky but I rarely actually do that so it is a bit overkill for brisket and pork shoulders.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2020, 10:17 AM   #1356
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Beef short ribs and chicken wings on the Green Mountain smoker today.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 03:30 PM   #1357
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I have a brisket on the smoker. Looks like a perfect day to be smoking. I'm thinking it might be time to buy myself a nice vertical smoker as the smoker I use now is a large custom built "shack." I built it as a large smoker as I planned to do some big smokes for sausage and beef jerky but I rarely actually do that so it is a bit overkill for brisket and pork shoulders.
Where do you get your brisket? I've probably asked before, but I generally only can find it at Costco reliably, and there are no specialty butchers on the West side.

Wonder if getting my local Coop to order a packer in is best....
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 03:33 PM   #1358
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Where do you get your brisket? I've probably asked before, but I generally only can find it at Costco reliably, and there are no specialty butchers on the West side.

Wonder if getting my local Coop to order a packer in is best....
I usually just go to Costco as it is quick and reliable. Sometimes I go to the butcher and occasionally I will get one from the Wholesale Club.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 03:34 PM   #1359
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Harry's Meats or Better Butcher. If you go to Harry's make sure to pick up a pack of bacon chipotle smokies.
Old 06-21-2020, 03:37 PM   #1360
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I usually just go to Costco as it is quick and reliable. Sometimes I go to the butcher and occasionally I will get one from the Wholesale Club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Harry's Meats or Better Butcher. If you go to Harry's make sure to pick up a pack of bacon chipotle smokies.
Ya, see that's my problem. Costco as well as all those options are a ways from the west side. I basically have to go into the SE or NW to get to a butcher. I might give my Coop or Sobeys a ring, see if they can just bring in a packer.

Seems silly, but adding that 45 minutes worth of travel time just discourages me from doing brisket more often.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber