Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2020, 07:01 PM   #1521
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

You convinced me and I was leaning that way myself. Look forward to seeing it...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2020, 05:13 PM   #1522
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thought it was time (hah) for a new piece. Picked up a Citizen Brycen today. Spoiler for size.

Spoiler!
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2020, 09:20 AM   #1523
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thoughts on these two? Can't decide which one. I've already ruled out the blue version. I'm also going straight to some NATO straps.

DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 09:25 AM   #1524
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

@DFO...the white face is more clear to me. I find the black one a little washed. The white may also give you more strap colour options??
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:
DFO
Old 12-08-2020, 09:42 AM   #1525
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

White, for sure. Black dials must be a lot cleaner than this to look good.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
DFO
Old 12-08-2020, 11:24 AM   #1526
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

White is more timeless I think. I had a similar dilemma a few years ago on a different watch and went with the white dial.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
DFO
Old 12-08-2020, 12:13 PM   #1527
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

+1 for the white
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
DFO
Old 12-15-2020, 04:22 PM   #1528
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Got home to this in the mail from our CP Tissot rep Justin, very happy with it. I work in aviation and love vintage so just love the face on this one. feels like it belongs in the cockpit of a warbird.

Merry Christmas to me!
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2021, 10:01 AM   #1529
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Question for any Rolex owners.
Any recommendations on the best place to buy one? Authorized dealers, online etc?

And I've heard its difficult to negotiate on popular models, is that true or should I be looking for a certain % of wiggle room?
Old 01-04-2021, 10:28 AM   #1530
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Question for any Rolex owners.

And I've heard its difficult to negotiate on popular models, is that true or should I be looking for a certain % of wiggle room?
I picked up my 114300 - 39mm Dark Rhodium Oyster Perpetual at Brinkhaus when they were first released back in 2016. I told them which one I wanted, and they brought it in for me. List was $6,800 and they were willing to do $6,000 flat unless I went with financing beyond a certain term length, so don’t be afraid to ask for a discount. $800 was fine with me, and four years later the cheapest second hand dark rhodium 114300 on Chrono24 is listed at $8,463 CAD.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2021, 11:26 AM   #1531
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watch newb here...

My dad gave me this watch (which used to be my grandpa’s) about 15-20 years ago. It worked fine (just had to restart it occasionally) but I stopped wearing it probably 10+ years ago. I’ve obviously kept it and while I don’t really have plans to wear it again, I’m not sure if I should get it serviced just to keep it working (it doesn’t seem to want to start again even though I’ve tried winding it and “shaking” it).

Should I bother at this point? And how much should I expect to pay? Recommendations on repair/service shops are also appreciated...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2021, 12:00 PM   #1532
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Watch newb here...

My dad gave me this watch (which used to be my grandpa’s) about 15-20 years ago. It worked fine (just had to restart it occasionally) but I stopped wearing it probably 10+ years ago. I’ve obviously kept it and while I don’t really have plans to wear it again, I’m not sure if I should get it serviced just to keep it working (it doesn’t seem to want to start again even though I’ve tried winding it and “shaking” it).

Should I bother at this point? And how much should I expect to pay? Recommendations on repair/service shops are also appreciated...
That's a pretty classic watch. I think its definitely worth an investment of time and money (or, alternatively, you can ship it to me and I will give it a good and loving home!)
Old 01-04-2021, 12:31 PM   #1533
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

The idea of 'patina' on a watch is something watch enthusiasts have a variety of opinions on. I personally am of the opinion that I want my watches -- at least the case, bracelet, bezel, and crystal -- to look as good as the day I bought them, and am okay with dial and hand patina. Others feel that every mark and nick on the watch is part of the character and story of the watch.

Given that it was your grandfather's watch, it's down to you as to how you feel about getting the watch serviced, what you want serviced, and what you want preserved. Personally, I would get the movement serviced, bracelet and case refinished, and the plastic crystal can have some of the finer scuffs and scratches using some Polywatch and a soft cloth. But that is the extent of what I'd have done. Some would have the crystal buffed, movement serviced, and otherwise just leave it alone.

You aren't going to be sending it to Omega for a partial service like either of the above. Omega will do a full on restoration of the watch.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2021, 01:22 PM   #1534
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
That's a pretty classic watch. I think its definitely worth an investment of time and money (or, alternatively, you can ship it to me and I will give it a good and loving home!)
Yeah, I was happy to rock it during my university days, and I'd proudly wear it now if I actually wore a watch. I was thinking I'd like to preserve the ability to wear it in the future though, so I'm not sure if it makes much sense to service it now, only to have it sit in a drawer for another 5-10 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
The idea of 'patina' on a watch is something watch enthusiasts have a variety of opinions on. I personally am of the opinion that I want my watches -- at least the case, bracelet, bezel, and crystal -- to look as good as the day I bought them, and am okay with dial and hand patina. Others feel that every mark and nick on the watch is part of the character and story of the watch.

Given that it was your grandfather's watch, it's down to you as to how you feel about getting the watch serviced, what you want serviced, and what you want preserved. Personally, I would get the movement serviced, bracelet and case refinished, and the plastic crystal can have some of the finer scuffs and scratches using some Polywatch and a soft cloth. But that is the extent of what I'd have done. Some would have the crystal buffed, movement serviced, and otherwise just leave it alone.

You aren't going to be sending it to Omega for a partial service like either of the above. Omega will do a full on restoration of the watch.
Interesting -- it never even occurred to me that I could cosmetically restore it (it looks about the same as when I first received it from my dad). I'll do some more research, but because it's a bit of an heirloom, I'd probably prefer to keep it looking like an old watch -- nicks, scratches and all.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:30 PM   #1535
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I took my grandpa's old pocket watch for restoration at Alberta Time Services. He'll give you an estimate for free. He fixed all the broken internals, but gave me an option on keeping the patina or not. When I gave it to my dad, he decided he wanted it shiny, so I brought it back for a clean up, and it came out looking fantastic.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:36 PM   #1536
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Interesting -- it never even occurred to me that I could cosmetically restore it (it looks about the same as when I first received it from my dad). I'll do some more research, but because it's a bit of an heirloom, I'd probably prefer to keep it looking like an old watch -- nicks, scratches and all.
Nothing wrong with that at all. A good movement servicing and having the watch dismantled and cleaned in an ultrasonic bath will make a world of difference on their own.
Old 01-04-2021, 04:55 PM   #1537
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d say what you get serviced and the cleaning done is your own decision. It doesn’t sound like you’re planning to get it working and sell it therefore patina, no patina is up to you. I would agree a good servicing would be a plan. I wonder if Justin our resident jeweller would service it?

It’s a great watch with great history. I have my Grandfather’s Hamilton watch he got from his company back in the 50s I believe and my Dad’s watch he always wore (Bulova I think) and his company 25 year watch.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:14 PM   #1538
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I picked up my 114300 - 39mm Dark Rhodium Oyster Perpetual at Brinkhaus when they were first released back in 2016. I told them which one I wanted, and they brought it in for me. List was $6,800 and they were willing to do $6,000 flat unless I went with financing beyond a certain term length, so don’t be afraid to ask for a discount. $800 was fine with me, and four years later the cheapest second hand dark rhodium 114300 on Chrono24 is listed at $8,463 CAD.
Definitely great experiences at Brinkhaus! Another side benefit is you can drop it to them for service or if you happen to be, hop in and they will clean the watch with they high pressure cleaning system.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:31 PM   #1539
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
Definitely great experiences at Brinkhaus! Another side benefit is you can drop it to them for service or if you happen to be, hop in and they will clean the watch with they high pressure cleaning system.
I'm in Vancouver but might try to buy it in AB if I can't find one here.
I'm looking for the GMT 2 Rootbeer and apparently it's pretty hard to find right now.
Old 01-05-2021, 10:26 AM   #1540
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Back in the summer I finally got one of my grails... High beat Seiko MM300.

The funny thing about car guys, is they are usually watch guys too. There seems to be a connection. There's a very good chance, a guy with a really cool car, usually has a really cool watch. At first I was kinda nervous about spending this type of dough on a Seiko, but I haven't taken a watch off my wrist more than this one to hand to a client. "Is that an MM300? Can I see that thing?!" It's not Rolex money, but you wouldn't think a $3500 watch would get so much attention. And the irony is, I bought this instead of a Seamaster, because I wanted a top-end piece, without coming across too blingy.

Accuracy is nuts, + 2-3 secs on a bad day, some days it has been dead on. I guess that should be expected since it has a Grand Seiko Movement. Scratch resistance, I was kinda skeptical of Diashield, but it doesn't have a mark after 7 months and I probably wear it twice a week. The Zaratsu case polishing on this thing insane, it almost looks like liquid mercury.

If you like high end Seiko, I highly recommend visiting Bezel House. Really cool little shop, and Ryan, the guy that runs it, will treat you like royalty, if you are looking at a $600 Turtle, or a Submariner on consignment.

Obligatory wrist shot....

pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post: