Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2020, 06:30 PM   #1001
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Give it some plant food too. Look up what they like. I'm going to take a wild guess that they also prefer acidic soil, and if that is the case you could supplement it a bit.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:11 PM   #1002
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Spoiler!

Almost done removing the concrete walkway and garage landing to re-do my backyard.
I work for an American company so everybody was off for Memorial Day.
Took advantage of a quiet day with just a few emails and phone calls and swung a sledgehammer most of the day. Listened to some work-related podcasts so we'll call it a professional development day.

Soooo.....any CP recommendations on concrete rubble removal? Short of renting/borrowing a truck and taking it to the landfill, I don't think I'm going to be able to load it all up in my Honda Fit.

Also, diagnosed why the garage stairs (that I'm removing anyways) were squishy. Who puts thin strips of wood as a spacer on top of pressure-treated wood...? Completely rotten.

Last edited by Torture; 05-25-2020 at 11:56 PM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:08 AM   #1003
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

We usually dump our extra clay at Fuzz’s. Drop your concrete rubble there and he’ll take care of it.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 09:25 AM   #1004
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
We usually dump our extra clay at Fuzz’s. Drop your concrete rubble there and he’ll take care of it.
Oh no you don't! I was going to ask if he wanted to remove a sidewalk for me.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:51 AM   #1005
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Oh no you don't! I was going to ask if he wanted to remove a sidewalk for me.
No.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:02 PM   #1006
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
No.
It's mostly crumbling anyway, should be easy! I'm tempted to just go over it with my plate compactor until it disintegrates. I think that might work. No rebar in it.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:08 PM   #1007
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's mostly crumbling anyway, should be easy! I'm tempted to just go over it with my plate compactor until it disintegrates. I think that might work. No rebar in it.
I thought you were pro dynamite?
Old 05-26-2020, 02:11 PM   #1008
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
I thought you were pro dynamite?
Oh man, I forgot about that option...though it might be sketchy with the risk of collateral damage, to, well, everything.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:18 PM   #1009
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgin View Post
I don't need a cubic yard of the stuff, and I don't want a dirt pile dumped in front of my house so the local garden centre delivery options don't seem viable. There must be a way to buy ~20 bags of 25L top soil that is decent quality.
On a side note - for yard bags I don't recommend Burnco's topsoil. We filled a garden with it last year and it has more grass seeds it in than I'd like. Eagle Creek's Big Yellow Bags were better.
I-Hate-Hulse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:05 PM   #1010
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
On a side note - for yard bags I don't recommend Burnco's topsoil. We filled a garden with it last year and it has more grass seeds it in than I'd like. Eagle Creek's Big Yellow Bags were better.
We have bought bulk soil from the Soil Kings, just bring a truck and you get a bucket full for like $50. Or you can get a big bag delivered I believe. Anyway, the soil was pretty good, no issues with weeds or grass seed for us.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:35 PM   #1011
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Spoiler!

Almost done removing the concrete walkway and garage landing to re-do my backyard.
I work for an American company so everybody was off for Memorial Day.
Took advantage of a quiet day with just a few emails and phone calls and swung a sledgehammer most of the day. Listened to some work-related podcasts so we'll call it a professional development day.

Soooo.....any CP recommendations on concrete rubble removal? Short of renting/borrowing a truck and taking it to the landfill, I don't think I'm going to be able to load it all up in my Honda Fit.

Also, diagnosed why the garage stairs (that I'm removing anyways) were squishy. Who puts thin strips of wood as a spacer on top of pressure-treated wood...? Completely rotten.
It's always surprising what Kijiji vagrants will take away if you list it as free.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 05:52 PM   #1012
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
It's always surprising what Kijiji vagrants will take away if you list it as free.
Very true. I had a pile of left over crush with chunks of dirt and concrete mixed in from a new front walk. Two guys came and loaded it up, and swept up after.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8 Ball For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2020, 11:19 PM   #1013
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Success - Facebook Marketplace and all the concrete is gone!

Now just gotta pick out some rocks (hooooray!), add some soil for grading/future plants, new pathway, and remove/replace the stairs to the garage.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:23 PM   #1014
jroc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What's the best option for removal of a bunch of dirt? The wife and I just excavated a section for some paving stones and filled up about 18 of those paper gardening bags of dirt, well over 100 pounds each. At first, I niavely thought they would pick them up with the green bin, but quickly realized there would be no chance of that (checked the city website and said you should be able to pick them up with one hand).

So what are anyone's thoughts? I think Lowe's sells a portable dumpster that can be picked up by waste management.
jroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:14 AM   #1015
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

FB Marketplace / Kijiji.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:41 AM   #1016
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc View Post
What's the best option for removal of a bunch of dirt? The wife and I just excavated a section for some paving stones and filled up about 18 of those paper gardening bags of dirt, well over 100 pounds each. At first, I niavely thought they would pick them up with the green bin, but quickly realized there would be no chance of that (checked the city website and said you should be able to pick them up with one hand).

So what are anyone's thoughts? I think Lowe's sells a portable dumpster that can be picked up by waste management.
If no one takes it you can put it in your compost bin. It takes a while though. I slowly eliminated a big pile over the course of many months. Never filled the bin over 3/4 as it was getting too heavy to move.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:52 AM   #1017
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc View Post

You can also take 'clean fill' to the dump for free, although if you use a trailer they will charge you apparently. So with 18 bags that is likely 2-3 loads in a pickup, but thats an option.

I am considering digging up a spot for a paving stone patio, what square footage yielded 18 bags? I am trying to wrap my head around how much volume the excavation will yield once the dirt expands, all I know is it will be "a lot".
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 03:04 AM   #1018
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have a front yard of around 950 sqft where I was the area graded and also have some hedges planted across the frontage for privacy. And maybe some other stuff too like a couple liliac bushes or something.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an affordable and high quality gardener or landscaper they would recommend?
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:09 PM   #1019
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgin View Post
Anyone have suggestions on the best place to get bags of topsoil to do lawn repair / top coating? I've tried the Garden Club stuff from Canadian Tire, and the Vigoro stuff from Home Depot, and in both cases what they claim to be top soil is a bag of mostly mulch, what appears to be shredded plastic bits, sticks/twigs, and a bit of dirt. It's ridiculously low quality and doesnt seem like it has been screened at all.

I don't need a cubic yard of the stuff, and I don't want a dirt pile dumped in front of my house so the local garden centre delivery options don't seem viable. There must be a way to buy ~20 bags of 25L top soil that is decent quality.
Might be late, but Triple mix is the way to go. Its a mix of compost, peat, and humus. I find it has wayyyyy less sticks/mulch than lawn soil.

Don't understand how any of the brands of "lawn soil" get away with it. Its rubbish.

Anyways, Vigoro, CIL (Lowes), and Walmart all have cheap-ish options of triple mix. It varies by lot (each batch is different), but this year I've had great success with Vigoro @ HD. Very few things I have to remove from the lawn.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:34 PM   #1020
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given the recent talk of Kijiji vagrants...

Anyone interested in my old deck? I salvaged maybe 20 good pressure treated boards when I demoed it, and there's some PT 4x4s, PT 2x10s and 2x8s. Some odds and sods busted off and sawed off pieces. Also About 70 2x2 pieces about 42" long from the old rail. No rot/mold or anything, I just hated how the previous homeowner built the thing.

Worth a shot I guess, saves me a trip to the dump.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flowers , garden , green thumb , landscaping , veggies