Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2020, 12:20 PM   #61
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I don’t really think the government should be throwing additional money at oil companies outside of what all other industries are getting in terms of salary support.

Where I think the government could help is to buy debt as it comes up for renewal in exchange for shares of the company. If a company fails on cash flow then it may not make sense throwing good money after it. If it is failing because of an inability to renew debt Because of current prices then getting it through that point would be helpful.

WCS is $30 US today. If you aren’t cash flow positive at this point you are in real trouble long term.
Buying debt (or backstopping debt) could be an effective solution. One issue I do see with debt in direct exchange for shares (if it's 1 for 1) is that shares for many service companies have fallen so low that the amount of cash injected would be so low that it would be almost meaningless unless the government purchased a large portion of the shares. Which is not idea. For example if the government ended up with 10% of my employers shares in exchange for debt it would mean about $300k to us which would barely keep us going another quarter, maybe less.

Second issue with this is that non public companies would not be able to participate in this either and they make up a large portion of the service industry too.

I don't know what the answer is. Debt purchase or backstopping would help but more is needed.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:00 PM   #62
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Buying debt (or backstopping debt) could be an effective solution. One issue I do see with debt in direct exchange for shares (if it's 1 for 1) is that shares for many service companies have fallen so low that the amount of cash injected would be so low that it would be almost meaningless unless the government purchased a large portion of the shares. Which is not idea. For example if the government ended up with 10% of my employers shares in exchange for debt it would mean about $300k to us which would barely keep us going another quarter, maybe less.

Second issue with this is that non public companies would not be able to participate in this either and they make up a large portion of the service industry too.

I don't know what the answer is. Debt purchase or backstopping would help but more is needed.
I guess I see the government ending up with 50% stakes in businesses as a reasonably fair outcome rather than letting them fall into bankruptcy or the banks acquiring them. I think it could work in private business as well they would just aquire ownership stake. Harder to value though.

Any kind of bailout should be punitive to shareholders. The government should only be a slightly better option than the banks.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:14 PM   #63
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think you are at a service company (as am I) but if you expect any money to come to service companies you will have a long wait. If money comes directly to the industry (it won’t) it will only be producers.

The site rehabilitation program is the result of heavy lobbying from CAODC and PSAC.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:49 AM   #64
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I think you are at a service company (as am I) but if you expect any money to come to service companies you will have a long wait. If money comes directly to the industry (it won’t) it will only be producers.

The site rehabilitation program is the result of heavy lobbying from CAODC and PSAC.
I am indeed at a service company and unfortunately I fear you are correct in that money likely won't come to the service industry (directly) which is unfortunate as they are possible in worse shape than the producers/operators and employ more people in the industry than producers do. Our sales meeting this morning mentioned yet another US based service company suspending it's Canadian operations and retreating from the Canadian market.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:18 PM   #65
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am indeed at a service company and unfortunately I fear you are correct in that money likely won't come to the service industry (directly) which is unfortunate as they are possible in worse shape than the producers/operators and employ more people in the industry than producers do. Our sales meeting this morning mentioned yet another US based service company suspending it's Canadian operations and retreating from the Canadian market.
As much as that does suck, maybe it means less Canadian companies that will go under.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:21 PM   #66
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
As much as that does suck, maybe it means less Canadian companies that will go under.
I’ve always thought the larger multinationals on the service side aren’t cut out to be in Canada. In my line of business they can’t be remotely competitive.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:11 PM   #67
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Peasant Boink with ~100 today I'm told.

Was Shell's the carnage we had heard about?

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 06-09-2020 at 09:13 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2020, 09:16 PM   #68
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post

As with everything else they do, long and drawn out, but about 50% of upstreams staff/contractors in Calgary and Houston. Last day end of Aug.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2020, 12:15 PM   #69
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Layoffs at CPG yesterday
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:38 PM   #70
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post

Shell likes to play the musical chairs game. All unmapped unconventionals employees are now competing for a bunch of upcoming job postings. Of course there are a lot more people than chairs.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:06 PM   #71
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Norway provides tax relief to their Oil and Gas industry in the face of industry struggles

https://www.oilandgas360.com/norway-...to-oil-sector/

Quote:
OSLO – Norway’s parliament has agreed additional tax breaks for the oil industry on top of those proposed by the minority government to spur investment and protect jobs, the ruling Conservative Party said on Monday.

Equinor and other companies hit by low crude prices as the COVID-19 pandemic has destroyed demand, had said the government’s plan to postpone tax payments of 100 billion crowns ($10.8 billion) was not enough.

Conservative Prime Minister Erna Solberg had warned against more generous terms, saying it could lead to investment that did not yield sufficient returns. She relented after opposition pressure and industry lobbying.

The terms agreed by parliament will temporarily shield a greater portion of income from taxes, potentially saving jobs at oil companies and in the industry that serves them, negotiators said.

“This makes projects more profitable,” Conservative lawmaker Trond Helleland, who led negotiations for the government, said.

The new rules will cover projects sanctioned by authorities until the end of 2023, he added.
They do not change the headline tax rate of 78% that oil companies pay on profits, but increase deductions for any new investments, meaning taxable profits could be reduced for several yea

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:36 PM   #72
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Norway provides tax relief to their Oil and Gas industry in the face of industry struggles

https://www.oilandgas360.com/norway-...to-oil-sector/
Wow, 78% tax, compared to the 30-50% we tax our O&G companies, no wonder their fund is 1 trillion.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:23 AM   #73
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rumors only at this point but we are hearing:

Ovintiv doing layoffs today. Not sure what the Canada/US split is.

Chevron laying off up to 35% of Canadian staff in early July. They are relatively small in Canada but it still sucks.

Schlumberger shutting down a major portion of their Canadian business leaving a pretty skeletal operation and contracting out some of their remaining products.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:29 AM   #74
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Ovintiv doing layoffs today. Not sure what the Canada/US split is.
As someone said on Reddit, they need to lay-off the person who came up with that name.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HockeyIlliterate For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 08:58 AM   #75
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post
As someone said on Reddit, they need to lay-off the person who came up with that name.
The support by the shareholders of the CEO and his dumb plans is mind-boggling. I entered the company last year looking at their book value, and the fact that they were profitable. But his wanting to move the company to the US was dumb, when the shares already traded on the NYSE; the move was a giant waste of people and cash making the move.

Luckily due to the COVID crash and buying more shares low, I got out of my position with a profit, but that CEO is a disaster.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:06 AM   #76
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Suncor made the decision to layoff about 70 people, which is actually a small number across the whole organization. Could be more in the future though...
8sPOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:19 AM   #77
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post
Wow, 78% tax, compared to the 30-50% we tax our O&G companies, no wonder their fund is 1 trillion.
Yep. It's pretty easy to tax the hell out of a state owned oil company. So not only are they taxed like a donkey, but they also pay a dividend to their shareholders. Who are:

"As of 2017, the Government of Norway is the largest shareholder with 67% of the shares, while the rest is public stock. The ownership interest is managed by the Norwegian Ministry of Petroleum and Energy."

I'm not a huge fan of state owned companies, but Norway seems to have figured it out.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 01:32 PM   #78
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1273335236223516674
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 03:38 PM   #79
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not layoffs, but Enbridge had 800 takers on their voluntary buyout offer.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/enb...outs-1.5614888
Old 06-17-2020, 04:28 PM   #80
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not layoffs, but Enbridge had 800 takers on their voluntary buyout offer.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/enb...outs-1.5614888
It makes sense for people who are eligible for early retirement to take the package and run. The future is bleak and it is best to cash in now.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote