Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-05-2020, 02:46 PM   #1
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Brand New Laptop

So I finally broke down and bought a brand new lap top and probably went a little overboard.

Can someone recommend the best programs to keep it clean from viruses, adware, trojans, etc.? Every other computer I own is just a mess .

It runs on Window. I mostly use it for movies, music, surfing the next, gaming and Microsoft Office.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 03-05-2020 at 03:21 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 02:53 PM   #2
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Step 1: Don't use an admin account for your normal use.
Step 2: Don't install stuff you don't trust, no matter how tempting
Step 3: keep it updated

Those 3 things should prevent 99% of issues. I just use Windows AV becuase I'm cheap. It's good enough.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 02:59 PM   #3
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
This really is your best bet. I really need to start doing this myself.

On top of that, a regular scan with superantispyware and even the free version of bitdefender is all you need.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:56 AM   #4
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Step 2: Don't install stuff you don't trust, no matter how tempting
Step 3: keep it updated

Those 3 things should prevent 99% of issues. I just use Windows AV becuase I'm cheap. It's good enough.
I've never done Step one. Tell me more.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:54 AM   #5
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

When you bring home a new computer/laptop what have you, you typically set it up and off you go. Part of that is setting up the first user which is the admin account. The admin account has complete control over you PC. More permission, more damage. Typically people stop here and use that account going forward but what you should do is also create a standard user and use that primarily.

Creating a standard user won't make any real difference in your day to day use and the standard accounts has limited access to critical files. You can really lock down what a standard account can do, like not install new software like malware/viruses.

If your a competent PC user and more a less know what you're doing and don't visit sketchy sties you're probably ok but this method is absolutely worth it for those with elderly parents or kids or just internet dumb folks.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 03-06-2020 at 10:11 AM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2020, 10:56 AM   #6
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

The admin account vs casual user is a good one. The two passwords can be the same, you don't have to super lock down the admin one.

I really should do this as I essentially let anyone use my computer (and I have older spares that I essentially do this for). It's not even that hard to do. I'm just lazy.

Malwarebytes is a good program for the occasional check. Also keep stuff updated. Having these programs isn't as useful if your computer OS is vulnerable to the latest security weaknesses because your updates are a year behind.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:44 AM   #7
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is actually good advice regarding user versus admin accounts that I admit I'm guilty of not following myself on my home PC.

Once you set up your PC the way you want it, create a local account with administrator privileges and a password. Then change your daily use account to a regular user account without admin privileges. Whenever you need to install something, you get prompted and enter the administrator account and password, and off you go. You can also right-click and 'Run as Administrator' and enter the credentials that way.

This is one thing Mac OS X gets right, you're prompted for a password any time you're installing software or making system changes, provided you've set one.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote