Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Best guess for Tkachuk's contract result
8 @ 7M 10 1.61%
8 @ 8M 41 6.59%
8 @ 9M 21 3.38%
8 @ 10M 8 1.29%
7 @ 7M 21 3.38%
7 @ 8M 61 9.81%
7 @ 9M 19 3.05%
7 @ 10M 3 0.48%
6 @ 6M 4 0.64%
6 @ 7M 48 7.72%
6 @ 8M 126 20.26%
6 @ 9M 27 4.34%
5 @ 6M 3 0.48%
5 @ 7M 56 9.00%
5 @ 8M 66 10.61%
5 @ 9M 10 1.61%
4 @ 5M 1 0.16%
4 @ 6M 4 0.64%
4 @ 7M 19 3.05%
3 @ 4M 2 0.32%
3 @ 5M 4 0.64%
3 @ 6M 46 7.40%
2 @ 4M 3 0.48%
2 @ 5M 15 2.41%
1 @ 4M 1 0.16%
1 @ 5M 3 0.48%
Voters: 622. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 11:09 AM   #1
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default The Matthew Tkachuk contract negotiations

I will just put this here to kick off the conversation

https://twitter.com/user/status/1131929848132190209
Old 05-24-2019, 11:17 AM   #2
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I still think $7.75 makes sense long-term. $6.75 until Giordano's deal expires, $8.35 for five more years after that.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 11:20 AM   #3
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe if its 8 years its close to 9 per I guess
Old 05-24-2019, 11:22 AM   #4
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It will be around 7. Rantenen is a much better player and will get around 8.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:32 AM   #5
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really hope they are able to keep it under 8. This will be an interesting summer for RFAs though.
Is Tkachuk eligible for offer sheets?
The Following User Says Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 11:35 AM   #6
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
It will be around 7. Rantenen is a much better player and will get around 8.
Maybe on a 3 year deal
Old 05-24-2019, 11:49 AM   #7
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

8.5M/yr over six years.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:04 PM   #8
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

$9.6 million for 5 years

I do wonder if we will see an offer sheet for this RFA crop. I could definitely see the Rangers try to fast track their rebuild
Old 05-24-2019, 12:05 PM   #9
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would like to see some real commitment (if it hasn't been made already) to working hard to improve his skating. I feel a little uncomfortable giving out this kind of money to a guy that isn't much of a factor on the rush because of his below average foot speed. I feel the pace of the first round was too much for him. That said he's put up pretty decent numbers considering he's played most of his career with Backlund and Frolik. It will be interesting to see what the team feels he's worth.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 12:11 PM   #10
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
“If five years is what Tkachuk wants he’s on the right track,” said one of the league’s most prominent agents.

“I would even argue four years, but the team won’t want that. I would use (Oilers forward Leon) Draisaitl as my floor to start negotiations (at $8.5 million annually). Tkachuk falls somewhere between $8.5 million and $10 million. I wouldn’t put him above (Auston) Matthews.”

“If I’m the team I want seven or eight years because I’m willing to overpay for the first few years, but the market will catch up to the deal,” said one agent, citing the lessons learned from contracts like Erik Karlsson’s.

“If I was repping (Tkachuk) I’d go four or five years. Look at Karlsson, arguably the top defenceman in the league. He locked in at $6.5 million (for seven years). Now he’s banged up as a UFA, and out of his prime, and he’s lost millions he’ll never get back.”
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...d-pay-tkachuk/
Old 05-24-2019, 12:12 PM   #11
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

This off season is going to be interesting for young rfas. Imo a lot of rfas are getting huge numbers projected for their next contract and not enough stock is being put into scoring being the highest it's been since the 90s

I love tkachuk and he deserves a contract in the 7s for sure but 9 or 10 is way off. Even on 8 year deal 9 is the max he should get

If you look at 2016/17 scoring leaders only McDavid had a 90 point season. Sid was 2nd with 89 points. 2018/19 14 players got 90 points. If you did a comparison of where tkachuk finished in scoring and compare to the leaders 2 years ago he would have equaled ehlers poi t total of 64 for 31st in scoring. If he put up 64 this year I doubt we would be on board for 10 mil even with an elavated cap.

6 years 7.25 mil for a young winger makes sense and considering ehlers signed that off season similar age similar points for 6 mil 7.25 seems about right

Some teams are going to kill their cap if they sign some of these rumored deal. If Matt want 9 or more then we need to trade him
Old 05-24-2019, 12:19 PM   #12
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
This off season is going to be interesting for young rfas. Imo a lot of rfas are getting huge numbers projected for their next contract and not enough stock is being put into scoring being the highest it's been since the 90s

I love tkachuk and he deserves a contract in the 7s for sure but 9 or 10 is way off. Even on 8 year deal 9 is the max he should get

If you look at 2016/17 scoring leaders only McDavid had a 90 point season. Sid was 2nd with 89 points. 2018/19 14 players got 90 points. If you did a comparison of where tkachuk finished in scoring and compare to the leaders 2 years ago he would have equaled ehlers poi t total of 64 for 31st in scoring. If he put up 64 this year I doubt we would be on board for 10 mil even with an elavated cap.

6 years 7.25 mil for a young winger makes sense and considering ehlers signed that off season similar age similar points for 6 mil 7.25 seems about right

Some teams are going to kill their cap if they sign some of these rumored deal. If Matt want 9 or more then we need to trade him
While everything you say may well be correct, "deserve" likely has little to do with it.

I'm guessing he wants 4 years, but may settle for 5 if the price is right.

I expect he'll be like his dad, and drive a hard bargain. Calgary needs to be prepared to trade him if they don't like the price, but that's not going to help them win the Cup anytime soon. They won't be able to get a comparable player who's cheaper. Tkachuk's value will be discounted if he has huge salary expectations and there's a team out there that will pay him that amount because the acquisition cost is less.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:20 PM   #13
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Backlund does a lot of heavy lifting for Tkachuk at even strength

Hope Matthew buys him a nice dinner
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 12:28 PM   #14
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...achuk+contract
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 12:28 PM   #15
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah123 View Post
$9.6 million for 5 years

I do wonder if we will see an offer sheet for this RFA crop. I could definitely see the Rangers try to fast track their rebuild
If that is his ask I trade him.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:29 PM   #16
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
huh, that's weird.

I posted this in January:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
He's carrying around brick layers and scoring at an impressive rate 5-5.

The 8.5 million draisaitl contract is the starting point in my mind.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:32 PM   #17
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
While everything you say may well be correct, "deserve" likely has little to do with it.

I'm guessing he wants 4 years, but may settle for 5 if the price is right.

I expect he'll be like his dad, and drive a hard bargain. Calgary needs to be prepared to trade him if they don't like the price, but that's not going to help them win the Cup anytime soon. They won't be able to get a comparable player who's cheaper. Tkachuk's value will be discounted if he has huge salary expectations and there's a team out there that will pay him that amount because the acquisition cost is less.
I disagree. A team will certainly pony up a big asset for him. I said before I wonder if the Blues who probably covet him would trade Tarasenko for him? He is only 27, on a great contract, and fills a need. Would probably score 50+ with Johnny feeding him.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:46 PM   #18
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

$10/year seems crazy.
At first I didn't get how Draisaitl could be the floor, but I guess when he signed his contract, he hadn't put up his 105 season, so his ppg was slightly lower than Tkachuk's.

If he's asking for 5 years, he shouldn't be getting more than $8.5; add .25 for every year beyond 5 years, with a max of 9.25/year for 8 years.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:47 PM   #19
MikePatton
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I disagree. A team will certainly pony up a big asset for him. I said before I wonder if the Blues who probably covet him would trade Tarasenko for him? He is only 27, on a great contract, and fills a need. Would probably score 50+ with Johnny feeding him.
I'm always of the opinion that no one is untouchable when it comes to trades. If the return is good, you do it or at least think about it.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:53 PM   #20
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
$10/year seems crazy.
At first I didn't get how Draisaitl could be the floor, but I guess when he signed his contract, he hadn't put up his 105 season, so his ppg was slightly lower than Tkachuk's.

If he's asking for 5 years, he shouldn't be getting more than $8.5; add .25 for every year beyond 5 years, with a max of 9.25/year for 8 years.
The argument though is that Tkachuk isn't just producing first line offense, he's doing it with plumbers on the second line AND he is doing it largely in a defensive role.

The article is bang on, there just aren't many players in the league who are able to do that, let alone guys doing it on their ELC.

That's why 8.5 is probably the starting point.

It really screws the Flames because they need to keep his AAV as low as possible to round out the roster, which means lowering the term.

I really think the flames are looking at an 8.5x4 deal here with Tkachuk going UFA at the end of the deal no matter what.

If the Flames want a term longer than 4 they are probably paying 10 per season to do it. Which they can't really afford in the short term without gutting the roster.
Closed Thread