Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2019, 01:52 PM   #41
squirtle
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

brodie on plays on his correct off wing in Peter's system.
squirtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:56 PM   #42
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirtle View Post
brodie on plays on his correct off wing in Peter's system.
Peters has mixed up the D pairings well this season. Probably at least 10 more combos than Gulutzan ever tried in less than half the games coached.

Geoff Ward and Huska have been great as assistants also. Clear cut upgrades on Gerrard and Dave Cameron.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank MetaMusil For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 03:34 PM   #43
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Peters doesn’t respond with 4th line immediately after a goal against.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:37 PM   #44
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was afraid Peters was just a meaner version of Gully (largely by reading articles written when he was the Canes coach). I was very much wrong on that and Peters has been awesome in every sense.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 03:38 PM   #45
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
On the surface, Gulutzan and Peters have gotten similar results everywhere but the scoresheet and the win column, which speaks to Gulutzan's biggest failings: his teams went through the "right" motions but lacked the intensity to convert. Gully had to resort to ridiculous theatrics in an attempt to give his team any form of killer instinct. It never worked. With Peters, the Flames have had that ability since day one, and it's been very refreshing.
What results are similar then? Or rather what results that count?
the2bears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:47 PM   #46
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
On the surface, Gulutzan and Peters have gotten similar results everywhere but the scoresheet and the win column, which speaks to Gulutzan's biggest failings: his teams went through the "right" motions but lacked the intensity to convert. Gully had to resort to ridiculous theatrics in an attempt to give his team any form of killer instinct. It never worked. With Peters, the Flames have had that ability since day one, and it's been very refreshing.
The teams style of play is vastly different though. Peters pushes the pace Gulutzan played a slow 5 man attack style. Both coaches produce nice advanced stats but the eye test is much more appealing with Peters hockey than Gully hocley.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:55 PM   #47
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
#### Gully.
Hear hear!
locsofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:00 PM   #48
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Peter's 'Feel' for the game has been mentioned already, but it think it amazing what he does in game...he's not afraid of shortening the bench nor putting lines in a blender if the team needs it, or if he feels that a particularly player is 'off' or 'on' in a particular game.

i think spacing was another thing he mentioned in his early press conferences where ensure that the gaps were tighter, presumably to ensure teams were not able to wind up and, on the flip side, giving attacking players shorter, quicker passing routes that are more difficult to defend.

More on point, Peters' brand of hockey is must watch TV based on the eyeball test.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:05 PM   #49
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
What results are similar then? Or rather what results that count?
None, which is exactly what my post said. Both teams have racked up Corsi and possession, but Peters' team has been more engaged, adept on transition, and intense, and has been able to actually turn those good underlying statistics into meaningful goals and wins.

Meanwhile, Gulutzan's teams basically farmed boring shot attempts.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:17 PM   #50
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
None, which is exactly what my post said. Both teams have racked up Corsi and possession, but Peters' team has been more engaged, adept on transition, and intense, and has been able to actually turn those good underlying statistics into meaningful goals and wins.

Meanwhile, Gulutzan's teams basically farmed boring shot attempts.
Well, not exactly, but this post clarifies it. Thank-you.

As for the differences between the two coaches, systems aside I think the biggest difference is more in the "soft" skills area. Peters always has a good pulse of the team and each player. He knows how to use that, how to get certain players going. He's great at reading the team and then motivating them with the correct impetus. Gulatzan was the complete opposite. He really had no clue what the mental state of the team was at any given moment.
the2bears is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 04:21 PM   #51
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Peters = Good
GG = NG

/thread
Old 03-22-2019, 04:32 PM   #52
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:

As for the differences between the two coaches, systems aside I think the biggest difference is more in the "soft" skills area. Peters always has a good pulse of the team and each player. He knows how to use that, how to get certain players going. He's great at reading the team and then motivating them with the correct impetus. Gulatzan was the complete opposite. He really had no clue what the mental state of the team was at any given moment.
My apologies for the lack of clarity.

I also 100% agree with that. From the moment that Peters gave his first interview with the Fan it seemed clear that he knew so much about each individual player on the team. His deployments have seemed tailor-made to each player's capacities. He just seems so much more involved.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:37 PM   #53
Yobbo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Gully was uninspired, boring hockey, that really wasn't fun to watch.

I remember seeing how the Hurricanes played against us when Peters was in charge of their team, and thought what a fun and speedy team they were to watch. That was hockey I wish our Flames played.

It was a great hiring by Tre to get Peters in here, and now Flames fans can enjoy an exciting brand of hockey, and not some snoozefest.
Yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:47 PM   #54
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Lots of great points in this thread.

Just want to address comparisons to Hartley... I think there are similarities on the offensive side, especially a quick-paced transition game, and I am so happy that the D is pinching again, but I think they are polar opposites defensively. Hartley wanted the team to collapse, block lanes, and (above all) block shots. Peters has tighter gaps, better back-side pressure in the neutral zone, is more aggressive with defensive zone coverage, and is more concerned with breaking the cycle than blocking shots.

Hartley was likable, but there were aspects of his game that were difficult to get on board with. Peters does all the things I thought Gulutzan was going to do. It is such a refreshing and wonderful change.
* Peters also has a wee teensy bit of a better roster to work with
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 05:20 PM   #55
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

One thing if noticed is that before against a set defence (e.g. of a flip to our blue line, or on the powerplay), Gully's team would often go D-to-D, and if the high forechecker got the angle right to prevent the return pass, often the only option left would be up the boards. Peters' system sends Gaudreau/Backlund/Ryan back to receive a drop pass and lets them skate it all the way up.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:49 PM   #56
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The biggest thing I've noticed is if people don't bring their working skates they sit. Simple as that. Doesn't matter who (top line and gio maybe the exceptions but even Monahan has felt it a bit)
Phagoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:57 PM   #57
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:

He didn't need to. He was planning on withdrawing from his investment in all those "emotional bank accounts", but just like on the ice, there was no interest.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 07:15 PM   #58
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

One style is enjoyable to watch and play. One isn’t .

The players probably hated it as much as the fans
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:20 PM   #59
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

GG had a losing record against the Oilers and i will forever say Gulutzan is one of the worst coaches in Flames history. Good riddance!
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:45 PM   #60
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
GG had a losing record against the Oilers and i will forever say Gulutzan is one of the worst coaches in Flames history. Good riddance!
Now he's transitioned seamlessly to a losing record with the Oilers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
Peters = Good
GG = NG

/thread
GG = Edmonton = NG
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post: