Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2019, 04:12 PM   #121
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wanted Vigneult at the time. But Treliving hiring Peter's was the worst kept secret in hockey for two months before the hire.

I'll tell you though, I knew the second after listening to Bill Peter's speak at his hiring presser that Treliving nailed it. Peter's Blew me away with hit forthrightness and knowledge of the game. He's blunt but not arrogant, he talks the game the way I like to hear about the game.

Said it then and I'll say it now, I can listen to that man talk about hockey until the cows come home.

It really has been probably the biggest key to this teams success. And add in the bonus of bringing in 3 key pieces from his old team over really put things together quite brilliantly.

Don't care if he doesn't win coach of the year. Because he already won me over and I don't give two sheepskin what other fans of other teams think. This dude is legit.

The next step to discover now is can he keep his players from tuning him out over a timespan of multiple seasons.

My guess is his shelf life is 3 season more than a guy like Hartley or Hitch. Notoriously known for short lifespans.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 04:14 PM   #122
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Haha, just went back and listened to that interview... 14:59 "Now they tell me, and I haven't seen enough of it, I've seen a little bit of the Andersson kid, the right-handed shot Swede... looks like a hockey player."
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:24 PM   #123
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

As good as Peters has done, I don't see how Trotz doesn't win this running away. His recent magic with the Tavares-less Islanders just proves that the guy simply wins where ever he goes
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 04:24 PM   #124
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Myself as well. I think my major issue at the time was the availability of bigger names and going to another 'off the board' coach rather than some established names as well as Treliving's admitted lack of a search.

But its times like these where I'm more than happy to be wrong.
Yeah, I remember questioning why take a chance with an unproven guy when there were relatively "sure bets" available.

At this point however, I couldn't care less if Peters was chosen for "the right reasons". What matters is they seem to have a good one. Heck, sometimes gut decisions are the best ones

I'm not quite as enchanted with Peters as many others, but it's mostly because I felt that any decent coach should have gotten us to the playoffs last season already, let alone this season with an even better roster. I really want to see if he can last here, and how he looks in the playoffs, because those what separates the pretty goods from the greats.

The above is not a criticism. It's just me being slow to form strong opinions.

I also actually expect him to be at least a decent playoff coach, and likely quite good if not excellent. We already know he's good at managing his own team, but in a long series a coach has to make important calls about when to change something because of what the other team is doing, and how.

I have a good feeling about his judgment though.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:34 PM   #125
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
As good as Peters has done, I don't see how Trotz doesn't win this running away. His recent magic with the Tavares-less Islanders just proves that the guy simply wins where ever he goes
I think Berube in St. Louis has to get some consideration as well.

Remember when he took over they were looking at complete tear down with the entire roster being available. That was November 20th. They'd lost 12 games by then. They've only lost 13 since. They'd won 7 games. They've won 33 since.

That's a heck of a turnaround with the same roster.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:55 PM   #126
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
And idea when about that came up? I just clicked through the video looking for it and I couldn't find it.
9:17 ish in the video
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:10 PM   #127
Always Earned Never Given
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Yes but Peters beat him twice!
Always Earned Never Given is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Always Earned Never Given For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 11:18 PM   #128
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hopefully he doesn't win it, recently the Jack Adams has been a curse for many head coaches. Several have been fired the next season (Hartley, anyone?), and only four winners have gone on to win the Stanley Cup in the same season.

Last edited by Macindoc; 03-24-2019 at 11:20 PM.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:13 AM   #129
FlameFan21
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

FlameFan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameFan21 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2019, 11:01 AM   #130
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Loved Peters on After Hours last night. Typically personable and straight up. He certainly has found a communications channel that works with this team.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote