Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-20-2018, 08:21 PM   #101
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
That's what makes the Olympics the Olympics.

Think Curling Canada has a lot to answer for. Why didn't the Kinsbery keep his role as the on ice coach for Homan? Who the heck is Sonnenberg to trot out there giving Homan advice? You could tell they didn't think much of her. How bout the 5th Bernard giving advice. Just a failure from beginning to end.
I agree on Sonnenberg. I saw her come out during a time out last night and they basically ignored her entirely.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:24 PM   #102
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Damn. Back to back wipeouts for the Italian skiers. It looks so painful.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:24 PM   #103
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
You and I could grab a couple others and make a four person team and play in a bonspiel. If we make money, are we no longer amateurs?
If you pull in $183,000 on the tour alone like Homan did in 2015-16, you are no longer an amateur in my opinion.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:25 PM   #104
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
I find perspectives like this quite amusing. We are posting on an NHL team forum assumably because we all cheer for the Flames. The Flames make dumb decisions and make poor shots while making millions of dollars. Half the time, the pros can’t even muster the motivation to play a hard game for 60 minutes even though they make thousands for their 15 minutes of eye time. The curlers are all amateurs and are trying their best. I think the anger and hatred is so misplaced.
I don’t care about the results. I genuinely found them unlikeable. They seemed cocky and things blew up in their faces. Instead of making smart plays there was a lot of yolo moments. When the announcer is in near disbelief at your shot choices it doesn’t look good.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:26 PM   #105
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

EDIT: Nevermind. Math is hard.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:26 PM   #106
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's what makes the Olympics the Olympics.

Think Curling Canada has a lot to answer for. Why didn't the Kinsbery keep his role as the on ice coach for Homan? Who the heck is Sonnenberg to trot out there giving Homan advice? You could tell they didn't think much of her. How bout the 5th Bernard giving advice. Just a failure from beginning to end.
Bernard had no time for strategic advice, too busy cutting up fruit and buying juice boxes for the team snack.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:29 PM   #107
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

nice to see Colleen Jones getting trashed on twitter more than Homan is.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2018, 08:32 PM   #108
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

McMorris with a 95.75 in his second jump, he is unreal!
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2018, 08:37 PM   #109
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanisleflamesfan View Post
I don't get some of the hate for Homan. Sure she is a determined, un-yielding competitor, but that it what I want in my Canadian athletes. Some of you might be too young to remember when Canada couldn't win anything at the Olympics. For years, the ongoing joke was that 4th place was considered "Canadian gold". Canada won 5 medals in Calgary and none of them gold.

It was at this time that people started to get fed up with the "awww shucks, we're just happy to be here" attitude of the Canadian athletes. Slowly it started to change to the point where our athletes now expect to win and are upset when they don't. Rachel Homan is the complete embodiment of this new attitude.

Personally, I love it. She had a terrible week but as far as I'm concerned, she can represent Canada anytime.
I am extremely pleased that Canadians no longer show up with the "I'm just glad to be here" attitude. However, you can be competitive and come 'expecting to win' while still being likable, classy and respectful.

Your take is a false dichotomy that I can't stand.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2018, 08:39 PM   #110
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

in the figure skating it's amazing that the American girl who went first is still in first place 18 skaters later.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:41 PM   #111
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
What a terrible performance. Pretty ridiculous to try to blame it on the ice.
Not a single person blamed it on the ice that I saw. Bad or inconsistent ice is a thing, though. And as someone correctly pointed out, it is a field-equalizer. But you still have to play. And they were simply unable to adjust and get their gamce going.

I also agree that some of their calls were head scratchers.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:41 PM   #112
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
For years, the ongoing joke was that 4th place was considered "Canadian gold".
Well, she's not going even get 4th. Not even close.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:42 PM   #113
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That interview was brutal. Even worse than the figure skating guy - Martini?
Old 02-20-2018, 08:44 PM   #114
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
I totally agree, I don't hate her, just extremely disappointed at the result, she could do way better than this. I love her attitude, that FTW attitude is way better than the happy to be here and I did my personal best.
This makes no sense.
I'd way rather have an athlete go to the Olympics and do a personal best on that most important stage than to go and #$&% the bed, like Holman did.
If we are no good at something, that's fine. If we are good and completely blow it...
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:46 PM   #115
vanisleflamesfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I am extremely pleased that Canadians no longer show up with the "I'm just glad to be here" attitude. However, you can be competitive and come 'expecting to win' while still being likable, classy and respectful.

Your take is a false dichotomy that I can't stand.
Actually... due to the fact that I said that the attitudes slowly changed until landing on what they are... I very much did NOT present this as a dichotomy.

Your take is a flawed appeal to logical authority that I can't stand.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:46 PM   #116
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
That interview was brutal. Even worse than the figure skating guy - Martini?
It was. Not even a 'thanks for representing Canada, we know it's tough and you did your best'. Homan's team quit their jobs to spend an entire year winning the world championships and winning the trials to represent Canada. We can't be too upset about people who sacrifice to represent Canada while we are on our comfortable couches.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:50 PM   #117
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Homan should have replied with "you tell me Colleen, you have lost more games for Canada than the rest of us combined"?.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:55 PM   #118
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
This makes no sense.
I'd way rather have an athlete go to the Olympics and do a personal best on that most important stage than to go and #$&% the bed, like Holman did.
If we are no good at something, that's fine. If we are good and completely blow it...
Easy to say from your couch watching tv because you're not good enough to make it to the Olympics

Give it a rest no ones perfect, the team is human and had their worst week in their careers. They didn't want it to go this way. They tried and the result sucks yes

Don't like them for their personalities sure but Don't hate them because they had a bad week, don't act so smug that we should be number one (as previously pointed out curling is getting more parity)
flamesfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:57 PM   #119
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Max Parrot, Mark McMorris, and Sebastien Toutant have qualified for the Big Air Final. Only 12 riders have a shot at a medal, 3 of them are Canadian.

Friday at 18:00!
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2018, 09:00 PM   #120
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lol. The curling rules are pretty clear on burned rocks. Burning a rock is cheating. If a team does it, the non-offending team can chose to remove it. Those are the rules. Homan had 2 rocks burned against her during these games; one she removed and one she didn't. That is her choice. Those are the rules. Following the rules is not 'dishonourable'.
Macusker (third for Schmiler) said that when she played there would be no question that you remove the rock. However both her and Harris said that in today's game it is customary when hit in the house to just reposition the rock.

So while she was correct by the rules she certainly will never get burned rock courtesy from anyone ever again.

I think her actions showed poor sportsmenship as she removed the stone when she was desperate for a win and the rock would change the end. I didn't see the other one. However it's pretty clear she removed it to get an advantage rather than out of any principle.

I often wondered about the qualification process for curling is right. We send a team rather than the best four curlers. Adding Morris to Koe's team would improve it over Kennedy if the egos were held in check. So is the detailed knowledge and trust between the team worth having inferior players. I think at third this might be the case. I don't think it would work as the team dynamic is important. The other is would a point system to select the best team be better than one event? Though in the Homens case she goes anyways in likely any system .

I do think that the strategy employed by the world curlers is significantly different than the Canadian style played on tour and Homem seemed unprepared for the situations she found herself in in terms of strategy. To fix that would require real coaching instead of independant teams who do what they want with the coach and 5th position.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote