Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2019, 10:30 AM   #821
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
London, Washington DC, San Francisco, Paris, Hong Kong? I agree that all are broken, but they are just extreme examples of the same structural issues faced in Calgary.
With a notable exception that Calgary has a lot of room to expand. But instead of creating sustainable, and affordable housing the city keeps building layers upon layers of 2600 square feet homes.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 10:30 AM   #822
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I'm saying you're trying to use extreme examples as a brush to apply to everywhere and it's ridiculous.
Extreme examples? You're missing the point. Why didn't I list Tokyo or if you want to go down, why didn't I list Seattle?
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:33 AM   #823
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Boomer stuff isn't exactly an argument made by resentful Millennials. There are strong arguments to be made that Boomer political choices have harmed the futures of Gen Xers and Millennials.

https://www.amazon.com/Theft-Decade-.../dp/1541742362

https://www.amazon.ca/Generation-Soc.../dp/0316395781
Old 11-04-2019, 10:34 AM   #824
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Municipalities have to pay for services. How else would you prefer they do it? Especially in a place like Calgary which is essentially built around expensive, sprawling infrastructure.
Federal redistribution is one thought.

Eliminate local and state/provincial taxes (sales, property, fees, etc), and just pay a federal tax (sales, income, etc). That federal tax collection is then redistributed equally to the other government entities on a per-capita basis.

To equalize things on the federal tax collection side, perhaps everyone pays a flat $2,000 in federal income taxes (so that there is no baseline exemption at all), and then an additional amount based on what your income is. There might be some wealth add-on tax if you have a certain amount of assets in the stock market, or if your property is valued at X or above, or the like.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:34 AM   #825
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post
Federal redistribution is one thought.

Eliminate local and state/provincial taxes (sales, property, fees, etc), and just pay a federal tax (sales, income, etc). That federal tax collection is then redistributed equally to the other government entities on a per-capita basis.

To equalize things on the federal tax collection side, perhaps everyone pays a flat $2,000 in federal income taxes (so that there is no baseline exemption at all), and then an additional amount based on what your income is. There might be some wealth add-on tax if you have a certain amount of assets in the stock market, or if your property is valued at X or above, or the like.
Unconstitutional.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:35 AM   #826
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Extreme examples? You're missing the point. Why didn't I list Tokyo or if you want to go down, why didn't I list Seattle?
Quote:
Many Boomers.
This was your point essentially?

All I'm saying is that purely blaming the Boomers is lazy weak bull####. Gen-X is right up there with blame too and guess who else will do the same thing when they start owning in greater numbers?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:35 AM   #827
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

You mean 100% annualized returns on housing are atypical?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...-cant-stomach/

My heart goes out to these people, $40k house in 1973 is worth $4MM. They've made $88k a year on their home over 45 years.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 10:36 AM   #828
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This was your point essentially?

All I'm saying is that purely blaming the Boomers is lazy weak bull####. Gen-X is right up there with blame too and guess who else will do the same thing when they start owning in greater numbers?
Political and economic choices made by Boomers have had a disproportionately large social effect given a) their unique socio-economic upbringing, and b) the relative large size of their cohort.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:39 AM   #829
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
You mean 100% annualized returns on housing are atypical?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...-cant-stomach/

My heart goes out to these people, $40k house in 1973 is worth $4MM. They've made $88k a year on their home over 45 years.

It actually sucks for a lot of people who can't afford to live in the house they've lived in for the majority of their lives. On one hand it's a good problem to have but on the other it is a bit of an unfair or maybe unfortunate situation.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:41 AM   #830
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There's rising house prices and then there's using Vancouver as your central model for comparison.

It's broken.

I'm not even saying that housing prices are fine, just that it's dumb to be "HURR, BOOMER!" because it's such a simple minded meme at this point. Do you honestly it's Boomers getting into the market now and maxing out their mortgages, buying way more than what they need because the bank will approve them and subsequently inflating the market? There's a lot more at play here than some communities not wanting high density construction. Which is also not just a boomer thing.
You'd be surprised how many boomers own multiple properties. I know a few families whose entire retirement plan is profiting off of their rental properties. That said, it is a rich get richer scenario, their children will inherit these properties and likely continue to be land lords, and so on.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:41 AM   #831
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Political and economic choices made by Boomers have had a disproportionately large social effect given a) their unique socio-economic upbringing, and b) the relative large size of their cohort.
And then it was compounded by the behaviours of other generations.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:42 AM   #832
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
It actually sucks for a lot of people who can't afford to live in the house they've lived in for the majority of their lives. On one hand it's a good problem to have but on the other it is a bit of an unfair or maybe unfortunate situation.
They've managed to make what the average Canadian would earn in 90 years entirely by living in a specific city.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:42 AM   #833
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They've managed to make what the average Canadian would earn in 90 years by virtue of living in a specific city.
If they sell and leave.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:43 AM   #834
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
So the young family should just throw caution to the wind and take on a half million dollar debt that they can't possibly afford to maintain unless the interest rates stay the way they are? And they won't go back to historical norms....ever? This basically strips the BoC of their power to regulate the economy.

The fact that our economy is dependent on out of control housing prices, foreign investment, free borrowing, etc... is ridiculous. What a mess.

The whole system also horribly favors high income earners and children of the rich. Perhaps the median family in Calgary can afford the median house, but the wag gap is growing substantially. What about the social worker earning $20/hr? What do they afford?
Quote:
This is where we are at. The BoC really can't raise rates beyond 3-5% without causing a huge drag on consumer spending. Best they can hope for is flat home prices for a decade so wages and real incomes catch up. Anyone in the bottom 40% is going to be hard pressed to afford a home in a major metro area country wide.
Perhaps this hypothetical young family could choose not to participate in the housing market and instead, just rent?

I believe Calgary has among the highest home-ownership rates in Canada (and thereby, the world), so I get that there are social and peer pressures to "join in". However, looking at more pragmatically, if would be difficult make a good argument for stretching your personal finances and affordability to participate in the Calgary housing market at this time. Rents are soft and are often far below mortgage equivalency. The housing market is soft and trending further downward with more and more headwinds, including labour market outlook, property taxes, interest rates and more... We've had posts recently in this thread to the effect of "I've had my $500k house for 11 years and it might be worth that much today"..

The thought of anyone - young family or otherwise - scrimping and saving to barely qualify for their first mortgage that will leave them house-poor because they look at the Calgary market and think: "I want a piece of that" makes my head spin...

Last edited by you&me; 11-04-2019 at 10:45 AM.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:43 AM   #835
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
@DoubleF, you make some very valid points, especially about Albertans and their expectations for homes. I don't know what it is about this province, but people are in love with the idea of living in the suburbs. The expansion of urban sprawl to accommodate the appetite for 4 bedroom houses with attached garages is symptomatic of the conclusion that people need to live in big houses to be happy. The Alberta dream is the suburban dream, and it is unsustainable.
Perhaps people don't like living inner city when they reach a certain age?

I absolutely couldn't stand the last year I lived in the Kensington area.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:44 AM   #836
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, there is ample evidence that Millennials have remarkably different outlooks on culture and economic activity than Boomers. Why do you think we have seen such a strong resurgence of economic and social activity in most urban cores across North America?

You keep on wanting to displace blame, but the numbers don't hold.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:44 AM   #837
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

In most places though, people being 'forced out' of your 100 year old home is because it's become unsuitable to live in anymore...not because it's skyrocketed to become $4,000,000.00 in assessed value.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:45 AM   #838
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If they sell and leave.
They could easily capture 75% of their gain by selling and moving into a condo in the same area.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:46 AM   #839
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
With the expectation that we deserved the same gravy train available to generations prior.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:47 AM   #840
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, there is ample evidence that Millennials have remarkably different outlooks on culture and economic activity than Boomers. Why do you think we have seen such a strong resurgence of economic and social activity in most urban cores across North America?

You keep on wanting to displace blame, but the numbers don't hold.
No? No other generations compounded it? That's your stance?