Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2022, 04:09 PM   #4241
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I can't believe Sliver successfully started another of the same teacher discussion we've done dozens of times. Please not here, guys, our provincial politics thread is super important right now. I (and I assume many) are coming here for updates on the biggest threat to our province in a long time.
I mean I get the sentiment of this not getting super off topic and there are other threads to go bitch about teachers but at the same time, I don’t think anybody clicking on this thread over the last year or two has learned much politically, or is changing their minds on anything. Like, seriously. Look at the quality of this thread and other politics threads now compared to like 3-5 years ago… it isn’t close.

We get it, UCP suck at everything, everyone should go vote NDP, that’s pretty much it isn’t it? Like what is there to really discuss here?

So having said that I don’t see the value in policing what people talk about really. Just my opinion. This thread and the federal one and basically the off topic forum generally has really done a great job of chasing off differing opinions regardless of if they are presented respectfully or not. Understood this won’t be popular and will go against THE AGENDA (tm) of the cool kid club on CP which ruined the website but it is what it is.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2022, 04:13 PM   #4242
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Seems to me funding an already divisive policy with money that was earmarked for the Heritage Fund is a way to only further alienate you from the voter base you’re trying to keep.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1595895447784402944

But at least they’ve got a good grasp on numbers

https://twitter.com/user/status/1595896511086268417
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2022, 04:16 PM   #4243
JagrBombs68
Draft Pick

I'll take my $600 and invest it in EV, wind or solar stocks - #diverisfy the economy
JagrBombs68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 04:19 PM   #4244
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagrBombs68 View Post
I'll take my $600 and invest it in EV, wind or solar stocks - #diverisfy the economy

Mine is going 50% to the ANDP, 50% to the Calgary Food Bank.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 04:32 PM   #4245
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I missed out on Ralphbucks because I moved away for uni and didn't keep an Alberta address. 16 years later I can finally buy myself that PS3!
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 04:57 PM   #4246
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I missed out on Ralphbucks because I moved away for uni and didn't keep an Alberta address. 16 years later I can finally buy myself that PS3!
Oh Ralphbucks...what a ride that was.

I maintain to this day that this was a stupid plan but damned if I didnt get loser drunk for a week alongside most of the rest of this Province.

That was definitely a cash infusion for the alcohol-based economic sector of Alberta.

Doesnt look like I qualify for any Smithbucks tho.

Which is an OUTRAGE!!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 05:01 PM   #4247
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Imagine all the fixes you could build for healthcare, community care, elder care, increased education numbers for HCW....with $2.8 billion. Instead it's going to buy votes. Thanks, Danielle.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2022, 05:05 PM   #4248
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Can't believe we're robbing the Heritage Trust Fund to buy Smith votes. If I was eligible, I'd donate it, but I'm not.

Love that retired boomers that lived through some of the greatest bull markets in history get it though, jfc.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 05:07 PM   #4249
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I’m pretty sure we have a PS3 we could part with for $600!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 05:08 PM   #4250
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Can't believe we're robbing the Heritage Trust Fund to buy Smith votes.
Lord knows I can....

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2022, 05:09 PM   #4251
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Imagine all the fixes you could build for healthcare, community care, elder care, increased education numbers for HCW....with $2.8 billion. Instead it's going to buy votes. Thanks, Danielle.
That’s fiscal conservatism for ya
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 05:29 PM   #4252
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Teachers at the top of the grid (10 years experience & 6 years of University education) make $103,111 in the CBE. So it's not outside the realm of possibility that a family with two teachers brings in $200k, especially if one of them is in Administration. A Principal at a large school makes $149,488. I bet a family with two full-time teachers is easily in the 90th to 95th percentile of household income in Alberta.

It's a tough job with good pay, excellent benefits, and a guaranteed inflation-protected defined benefit pension. You'll never catch me complaining about the pay - I think teachers are compensated very well.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 05:37 PM   #4253
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Teachers at the top of the grid (10 years experience & 6 years of University education) make $103,111 in the CBE. So it's not outside the realm of possibility that a family with two teachers brings in $200k, especially if one of them is in Administration. A Principal at a large school makes $149,488. I bet a family with two full-time teachers is easily in the 90th to 95th percentile of household income in Alberta.

It's a tough job with good pay, excellent benefits, and a guaranteed inflation-protected defined benefit pension. You'll never catch me complaining about the pay - I think teachers are compensated very well.
I think you’d be surprised at the amount of jobs that make $100k
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 05:41 PM   #4254
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
I think you’d be surprised at the amount of jobs that make $100k
I think you'd actually be surprised at the number of jobs that don't.

About 89.2% of Canadians and 85.5% of Albertans make under $100k a year.

Source: https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r...2021A000011124
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2022, 05:43 PM   #4255
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
Most universities require six years of education to be a teacher. You need a Bachelor's degree in a teachable subject, then a two year after degree.
Curious where you live. The big 3 universities in Alberta all are 4 year education programs as far as I know, with direct entry into the program.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 05:45 PM   #4256
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Curious where you live. The big 3 universities in Alberta all are 4 year education programs as far as I know, with direct entry into the program.
No. U of C is a 2-year post-degree program (meaning you already have to have a degree) OR a 5-year concurrent program.

Edit: Nevermind, this must have changed recently! There is now a 4-year option. Interesting.

https://www.ucalgary.ca/future-stude...rams/education

Last edited by malcolmk14; 11-24-2022 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-24-2022, 05:53 PM   #4257
T-Dog
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Danielle Smith bans mask mandates and online learning for Alberta schools. I’m sure this is just the start of her Covid axe grinding.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ning-1.6663527
T-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T-Dog For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2022, 06:01 PM   #4258
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Dog View Post
Danielle Smith bans mask mandates and online learning for Alberta schools. I’m sure this is just the start of her Covid axe grinding.

Danielle Smith is a stupid ####ing moron.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 06:30 PM   #4259
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Dog View Post

Banning schools from individually implementing mask mandates is correct. They do not have the expertise to make these decisions. Conditions for masking in schools should be developed by the health system and recommendations rolled out to schools.

Now Smith isn’t going to have the CMOH set out sciences based guidelines or policies for districts so that is where she is failing.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 06:35 PM   #4260
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure there will be some more brilliant COVID policy. Here's some incoherent ramblings from Paul Alexander, who Smith wants to advise Alberta on COVID policy:

Quote:
You Francis Collins, Bourla, Fauci, Bancel, Walensky et al. cannot be this stupid to continue with this failed vaccine especially the failed bivalent booster that would have become a mismatch to the antigen. It has. Then is there malfeasance? We need to know.

Again, go ask Rochelle[CDC Director], and so they have created the landscape to keep vaccinating and you on the booster treadmill the rest of their lives. You will need a booster IV bag drip next. 24/7 boosting.

The question is, where is the uncensored scholarly debate on this, this that is happening right before our eyes? Where are the virologists and immunologists and vaccinologists? Why leave it to novice immune and virology scientists like me? Why are you silent and only expert scientists like Bridle and Vanden Bossche are left to raise concerns. Why? What were you paid for your silence?

The COVID gene injections has failed and I argue always did and NEVER ever worked. You have to explain to me how you removed the impact of natural immunity and early treatment in the data as well as how you controlled for co-morbidities and the healthy vaccinee effect.

We either stop the vaccine or reduce the infectious pressure with chemoprophylaxis.
https://palexander.substack.com/p/ba...medium=reader2

I'll be surprised if Smith doesn't try to limit access to vaccines in the future.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post: