Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2010, 01:54 PM   #81
burning_acid1
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I had some Talisker scotch over the weekend and didn't enjoy it too much... way too smokey in flavour.
burning_acid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:12 AM   #82
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thought this thread deserved to be bumped in light of the unveiling of the Gordon & MacPhail Generations Glenlivet 1940 at the Kensington Wine Market last night.

Quote:
The teardrop-shaped crystal bottles were unveiled in Calgary Thursday, in advance of a pair of sold-out tastings where, for $200 per person, people will get to savour what Michael Urquhart’s grandfather lay down to mature on Feb. 3, 1940.

With the hefty $22,000 pricetag for a 700-ml bottle, or $6,000 for 200 ml, Urquhart said they’re most likely going to be eyed by collectors or investors, but there may be some willing to “open it right away to drink it. Responsibly, of course.”

Collectors may want to act fast, though. There is just a pair of the 700-ml bottles, and 10 of the 200 ml.
http://www.calgarysun.com/2011/08/25...y-connoisseurs
http://www.gordonandmacphail.com/gle...ivet-1940.html
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #83
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Great...gee thanks gents - just saw this thread at 10AM on a Friday AM at work & all I can think of is:

"Hmmmmm, Scotch...hmmmmm, Glenlivet!"

I'll now have to hum the old Spiderman theme song to get these thoughts out of my head....at least until 5PM, that is!
Old 08-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #84
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I tried to get tickets to the tasting, but it had sold out pretty quickly.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:57 AM   #85
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I tried to get tickets to the tasting, but it had sold out pretty quickly.
Remember when we were going to do the scotch and cigars night? I cant imagine drinking a $22,000 bottle of scotch.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:59 AM   #86
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Remember when we were going to do the scotch and cigars night? I cant imagine drinking a $22,000 bottle of scotch.

I almost had a heart attack when in a moment of kindness, I bought the old man a $200.00 bottle of Livit for his Birthday.

I still have the box of cubans sitting at home, waiting for that Scotch and Cigar night.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:10 AM   #87
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I almost had a heart attack when in a moment of kindness, I bought the old man a $200.00 bottle of Livit for his Birthday.

I still have the box of cubans sitting at home, waiting for that Scotch and Cigar night.
Really? I brought a bunch back from Cuba too. We'll have to figure something out. I'm still game, I think the whole thing fell apart because we had to drive to Drumheller! He should come here.

My apartment is a little small, but we could make it work. We could probably smoke in my parent's garage! My dad's been doing that for years! Haha!

I think the most expensive bottle of scotch I've ever bought was $140. The most expensive scotch I've ever tasted was Johnny Walker Blue label. I actually have a little bottle of it too.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-26-2011, 11:16 AM   #88
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Really? I brought a bunch back from Cuba too. We'll have to figure something out. I'm still game, I think the whole thing fell apart because we had to drive to Drumheller! He should come here.

My apartment is a little small, but we could make it work. We could probably smoke in my parent's garage! My dad's been doing that for years! Haha!

I think the most expensive bottle of scotch I've ever bought was $140. The most expensive scotch I've ever tasted was Johnny Walker Blue label. I actually have a little bottle of it too.
I would certainly be game for a get together, your a poster that I've wanted to meet for a while anyways.

All we'd need is a place to smoke and drink the optional ice cubes and some glasses.

Johnny Walker Blue is very tasty.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:49 AM   #89
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I got 3 new bottles for my birthday
- Highland park 12
- Lagavulin 16
- Argberg 12?

This is addition to my current selection:
- McCallan 18
- Glenfiddich 12
- Talisker 12
- caol ila 12

I found the Glenlivet a little too "sweet" for my liking. Guess I like mine dry and smokey
Old 08-26-2011, 12:57 PM   #90
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would certainly be game for a get together, your a poster that I've wanted to meet for a while anyways.

All we'd need is a place to smoke and drink the optional ice cubes and some glasses.

Johnny Walker Blue is very tasty.
I'm sure we can work something out, it would certainly be interesting to put a face to the poster.

The blue is good, but I'm more of a single malt guy than a blended malt.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:59 PM   #91
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

We could work out something for after labor day.

Different situations for different liquor.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #92
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A thread worth bumping. I've begun getting into scotch over the course of the past 6 months or so and am always interested to see what people have to say about the various brands. Inspired by Chris Hitchens, JW Black Label was the first one I purchased, and I ended up getting a bunch for Christmas in addition to some that I'd already bought, so I'll be set for the next little while. I'm currently inundated with:

Johhnie Walker Platinum Label
Johnnie Walker Collection (four small bottles of JW Blue, Black, Gold, and Green)
Glenfiddich 12 yr
The Malts Collection (three small bottles of Talisker, Lagavulin 12, and Cragganmore)

It was a scotchy Christmas (I put a bottle of Johnnie Walker Gold under the tree for my grandpa, also). The JW Platinum's good, and is a new fixture in the JW line, along with Gold Reserve (which are both replacing the Gold and Green Labels in 2013). I'm excited to sample the JW Blue Label as well, even though I've been told that its quality doesn't quite aspire to the heights of its price.

Single malts are a bit heftier to get in to right off the bat, but I'm beginning to see how they're the preferred drink of the seasoned connoisseur. I really enjoy Glenfiddich 12 year (seems sweet, creamy, not overpowering), and Lagavulin has a very substantial flavour with the longest finish of any of the scotches I've tried thus far.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #93
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

I'm just getting into it myself, but this is my scotch of choice thus far. By god, its so smooth!

Old 01-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #94
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a few new ones over the holidays. I never drink blends (or rarely). I tried Auchentoshan 12, Glenrothes Special Select Reserve and earlier in the fall I was fortunate enough to be given a bottle of Glentauchers.

Thanks for bumping this though...I'll be delving into something tonight as a result!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:33 PM   #95
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I love me some Scotch and Coke but I can't enjoy straight scotch so I guess that probably eliminates me from this conversation.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:52 PM   #96
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

McCallan 12 and Glenmorangie Nectar D'or are my staples.

Neat, of course. I love scotch.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #97
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
I love me some Scotch and Coke but I can't enjoy straight scotch so I guess that probably eliminates me from this conversation.

That would probably get you shot by 18th century muskets my friend.

I've gone back to some traditional stuff this Christmas, I got a very nice bottle of Glenlivet 18 year old for Christmas, and I'm sipping it now.

I've also gotten into straight Jack Daniels after a rough day.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:57 PM   #98
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That would probably get you shot by 18th century muskets my friend.

I've gone back to some traditional stuff this Christmas, I got a very nice bottle of Glenlivet 18 year old for Christmas, and I'm sipping it now.

I've also gotten into straight Jack Daniels after a rough day.
Thats good stuff. Especially 'Gentleman's.'

We still need to try and have our scotch and cigar evening.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:13 AM   #99
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

OMG theres a scotch thread too. This is awesome. Oban, Highland Park 18 and Dalwhinnie are my favorites. Tried many others but those three are the cats meow to the pallette.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:17 AM   #100
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
OMG theres a scotch thread too. This is awesome. Oban, Highland Park 18 and Dalwhinnie are my favorites. Tried many others but those three are the cats meow to the pallette.
Oban is a favourite (expensive favourite) and Dalwhinnie is always good, though also a bit on the pricey side. Never tried Highland.