Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2014, 01:01 PM   #241
CrunchBite
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Anyone have any insight on Tamnavulin 14 yr? I had a glass of it at Buchanan's and enjoyed it. Seemed to be a little weaker tasting then other Scotch's I have tried. Anyone had any before is it good or junk? Should I try and hunt down a bottle or look elsewhere

If you enjoyed it then find a bottle of it. Who cares what other people think about it?
CrunchBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:03 PM   #242
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchBite View Post
If you enjoyed it then find a bottle of it. Who cares what other people think about it?
It was only 1 oz. Could have been the icecubes watered it down to a nice flavor and I will never be able to duplicate it again.

Also from looking on that Alberta Liquor site no one sells any in the city so if someone can offer a comparable that would be great
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #243
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It was only 1 oz. Could have been the icecubes watered it down to a nice flavor and I will never be able to duplicate it again.
I'm still a rookie, but that's precisely why I like a little bit of ice (usually just one rock) in my scotch. Each sip is a different strength and flavour.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:45 PM   #244
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scotch tasting guides at the distilleries we've visited all advised against using ice in Scotch. In fact, they recommended warming the glass in your hands before drinking. One of the strength tests they suggested was sniffing the glass to see if the alcohol vapours are hurting your nostrils at all. If they are, then the Scotch might be a bit too strong for your taste buds, in which case a teaspoon of normal spring water added to a glass would both weaken the Scotch slightly and make it release more aromas.
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:59 PM   #245
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Also from looking on that Alberta Liquor site no one sells any in the city so if someone can offer a comparable that would be great
Yeah, those #######s at Big Ice are just hording it all making sure the little guy can't get any for his scotch at home. It's a travesty I tell you!

That's half the appeal of scotch. Buy something you've tried and liked, then play around with how you drink it to see if you can figure out what works best for you.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:59 PM   #246
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default McCallan free tasting show in Toronto

For anyone interested in Toronto, the McCallan brand is doing a free tasting tour

http://www.eventbrite.ca/e/raise-the...ion-9906580850

sessions are filling up fast
Old 01-16-2014, 05:00 PM   #247
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

One more link, a scotch tasting map

http://simplyscotches.blogspot.ca/20...lavor-map.html
Old 01-16-2014, 05:52 PM   #248
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

EDIT: Double post
Old 03-14-2014, 10:07 AM   #249
Schraderbrau
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lchoy View Post
For anyone interested in Toronto, the McCallan brand is doing a free tasting tour

http://www.eventbrite.ca/e/raise-the...ion-9906580850

sessions are filling up fast

Very handy, thanks.

I'm just starting down the scotch road and am really enjoying it. I'm not a big drinker at home but find I really prefer a glass of scotch to a glass of beer these days. I have picked up a Macallan's 12 yr and Glenfiddich 18yr so far and I think I am going to grab a bottle of Oban 14yr today as I gave it a try last week and thought it was very good. So far its all been good.
Schraderbrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:39 AM   #250
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Was given a bottle of Bruichladdich 10 (in the powder blue tin, which I just adore). As a bourbon guy, I'm enjoying the fact its unpeated, and different from the other scotches I have here and there. When I found it's about $55/bottle, I realized it's something I'll keep in my cupboard.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #251
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hoping there's some CP expertise that can make me a few suggestions in different price ranges for new scotches I haven't tried yet, that would cohere with my particular tastes. Because while I have a decent understanding of what I like, I do not know what makers actually produce a dram that meets with those preferences.

I don't really like the super woody, super peaty stuff. Not a Laphroaig guy. What I mostly drink is Balvenie - the Doublewood is my go-to under $100 scotch, but I also have a bottle of 14yo carribean cask, 17yo sherry cask and the signature. I also really like Highland Park's 18yo.

For my birthday last year a couple of colleagues got me a bottle of Aberlour Abunadh. I really like this one, despite it being a bit more of a kick in the teeth than my usual Balvenie, as it's cask strength. So, I'd say the power behind the scotch isn't what dissuades me from some of the more aggressive Islays out there, as much as the actual flavour profile.

Third point - scotch is not my usual whiskey. I'm a big bourbon drinker; I have 20+ varieties in my closet at any given time. So sweeter stuff isn't a problem here, and it goes along with that that stronger whisky isn't an issue and probably gives some background on my peat aversion. I can drink Booker's or Blanton's Gold bourbon all day.

Any pointers as to what I should go for? I'd like to hear about scotches in the $80-200 range, or so. I think if I was dropping coin on something in the mid $200's, I'd be getting a Balvenie 21y/o Portwood, but I'd be interested to hear about other alternatives +$200 just out of curiosity.

EDIT: Oh, and I take my scotch neat with a tiny bit of water - like a few drops at most.

Last edited by 19Yzerman19; 03-14-2014 at 10:48 AM.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:30 PM   #252
cavalera403
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
Hoping there's some CP expertise that can make me a few suggestions in different price ranges for new scotches I haven't tried yet, that would cohere with my particular tastes. Because while I have a decent understanding of what I like, I do not know what makers actually produce a dram that meets with those preferences.

I don't really like the super woody, super peaty stuff. Not a Laphroaig guy. What I mostly drink is Balvenie - the Doublewood is my go-to under $100 scotch, but I also have a bottle of 14yo carribean cask, 17yo sherry cask and the signature. I also really like Highland Park's 18yo.

For my birthday last year a couple of colleagues got me a bottle of Aberlour Abunadh. I really like this one, despite it being a bit more of a kick in the teeth than my usual Balvenie, as it's cask strength. So, I'd say the power behind the scotch isn't what dissuades me from some of the more aggressive Islays out there, as much as the actual flavour profile.

Third point - scotch is not my usual whiskey. I'm a big bourbon drinker; I have 20+ varieties in my closet at any given time. So sweeter stuff isn't a problem here, and it goes along with that that stronger whisky isn't an issue and probably gives some background on my peat aversion. I can drink Booker's or Blanton's Gold bourbon all day.

Any pointers as to what I should go for? I'd like to hear about scotches in the $80-200 range, or so. I think if I was dropping coin on something in the mid $200's, I'd be getting a Balvenie 21y/o Portwood, but I'd be interested to hear about other alternatives +$200 just out of curiosity.

EDIT: Oh, and I take my scotch neat with a tiny bit of water - like a few drops at most.

If you like the sweet stuff I would look into the Dalmore Cigar Matl (no age statement) or the Tomatin 18
The Aberlour Abunadh I really enjoy as well but when you are up in that 60+% range I do find that if I add a little more water than normal to bring it back down into at least the low 50% to high 40% range you get a bunch more flavor without killing your taste buds with the alcohol
cavalera403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:10 PM   #253
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Tomatin 18 is awesome.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:42 PM   #254
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
...What I mostly drink is Balvenie - the Doublewood is my go-to under $100 scotch, but I also have a bottle of 14yo carribean cask, 17yo sherry cask and the signature. I also really like Highland Park's 18yo...
What you are describing are balanced Scotches. Have a look at the taste map below; it's good and pretty useful for a beginner. Anything in and around the centre sector of the map would be balanced. Anything in the NE sector would be peaty, smoky and rich, so avoid it, if it's not your thing. Anything in the NW sector would be smoky and peaty with shallow taste, so avoid it as well. Stay on the south site of the map. Auchentoshan and Glenlivet Scotch would both be in your taste preference region, I think. If you're looking for cheaper stuff, try Glenmorangie 12 (something like $40 at Costco).

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2014, 03:58 PM   #255
Schraderbrau
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Just picked up a bottle of Oban 14 and Dalwhinnie 15, gonna be a good night!! Great prices at Costco, like 30 bucks less a bottle then at the store by my house.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:26 PM   #256
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schraderbrau View Post
Just picked up a bottle of Oban 14 and Dalwhinnie 15, gonna be a good night!! Great prices at Costco, like 30 bucks less a bottle then at the store by my house.
You picked up two staple superstars. My only advice is that in my experience the Dalwhinnie doesnt keep very well so drink it within a few days.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:42 PM   #257
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hahaha, "no babe you don't understand I have to get drunk, otherwise it'll all just go bad!"

That flavour map is awesome. But now I need one for every scotch on the shelf at the liquor store...
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:22 PM   #258
Schraderbrau
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
You picked up two staple superstars. My only advice is that in my experience the Dalwhinnie doesnt keep very well so drink it within a few days.
I've sampled both tonight and no complaints. Both are very good.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:52 PM   #259
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That flavour map is awesome. But now I need one for every scotch on the shelf at the liquor store...
Not really. Good Scotches are only a few, unfortunately. There are some time-proven favorites. These are manufactured with certain flavour stability that get drinkers hooked up on it. Once people got to know their taste in Scotch, they tend to stay with the names they like, unless they start learning Scotch stuff at tastings and from books; then you get really hooked up.

Balvenie 12 DoubleWood is one of the most popular Scotch whiskeys in the world (and in Scotland also, in fact), because of its sweetness and smoothness. Scotch snobs, like me, say it's for those who can't take the real Scotch (but secretly, I actually like Balvenie too and drink it when my Scotch buddies are not around ).

Last edited by CaptainYooh; 03-14-2014 at 07:57 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2014, 05:37 PM   #260
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Watched a bunch of old Ralfy videos and was inspired to go try Bunnahabhain 12. Will be sipping that during the game tonight. I think I'm finding the Islay ones are the ones that I actually enjoy when doing the Scotch route.