Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-25-2019, 09:30 AM   #1561
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
Yeah, I was in the seats and things always seem a little more tame from back that way I guess (I didn’t want to subject the lady friend to any goofy floor shenanigans...). Somewhat of a regret in hindsight. I could’ve been so much nearer to the Papa!

I was pleasantly surprised by the opener, as well. What the hell was that franken-instrument he was jamming on at the end?
The Scorpion Tail. I have to admit it was pretty neat.

https://www.revolvermag.com/music/ma...oot-instrument
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:57 AM   #1562
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

New Ghost lineup is fine but nowhere close to Meloria era guys. You can't fire the entire band without losing a bit of the magic, but they're rolling on just fine.

Fun show but I would have loved more blasphemy.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:36 PM   #1563
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought the Ghost concert was fantastic. I’m relatively new to the band (discovered them about a year and a half ago) so I can’t comment on what previous lineups were like but I was thoroughly entertained last night.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:24 PM   #1564
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Opeth has English and Swedish versions of its new album.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2019, 03:10 PM   #1565
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone going to the Amon show tomorrow at the Grey Eagle? Line up is pretty fantastic and anyone on the fence should go just because of At the Gates.

This will be my first show at the Grey Eagle and I’m someone who enjoys a beer before, during, and after shows. I’m curious what the concession situation is like? Any advice?
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:25 PM   #1566
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
Anyone going to the Amon show tomorrow at the Grey Eagle? Line up is pretty fantastic and anyone on the fence should go just because of At the Gates.

This will be my first show at the Grey Eagle and I’m someone who enjoys a beer before, during, and after shows. I’m curious what the concession situation is like? Any advice?
First and foremost, park near the exit. The longer walk into the building will be well worth it when you are leaving because there's only a couple of exits and things get gridlocked if you are stuck in the middle. I'm not a huge fan of the venue as it's a big rectangular room and sound isn't the greatest. Bars are on the outside of the room and you shouldn't have any issues getting beverages.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2019, 01:14 PM   #1567
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

new Insomnium and In Mourning albums drop tomorrow, can't wait and as much as I like Insomnium, I'm a bit more stoked for In Mourning.

devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 04:16 AM   #1568
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

man this one is beautiful.

The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 09:52 AM   #1569
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

wish there was more crazy #### like this on the new album. It's a really good and diverse album, but as someone who liked crazy stuff like "Song 4" the most, I hoped for even more madness but I guess it's not surprising that there's less over the top fun stuff now that Yui's left.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #1570
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
wish there was more crazy #### like this on the new album. It's a really good and diverse album, but as someone who liked crazy stuff like "Song 4" the most, I hoped for even more madness but I guess it's not surprising that there's less over the top fun stuff now that Yui's left.

Album sounds great so far on first listen, I'm just annoyed that one of the best songs isn't on the international release. Looks like I'm going to have to torrent the Japan version and upload it to Google Music

Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:51 AM   #1571
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

oh ffs, that's the madness I want. This different version BS sucks ... "Syncopation" was also a killer track on the Japan version of the last album.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:59 AM   #1572
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Alright, I can't let this go on any further, f'ing BabyMetal.

Just so I completely understand, how old are you guys and how long have you been listening to metal? If you're younger than 25 then it makes sense, but you're aware this band is pure gimmick and fabricated just like the Backstreet Boys and One Direction?

Do metal fans not care anymore? I might be too old.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
AC
Old 10-11-2019, 11:05 AM   #1573
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

some of us just like to enjoy a fun group. What's the problem here? They're fun, they're different, they're diverse. Nothing's stopping you from ignoring them.

There's also a new Lacuna Coil album today, and Jinjer and Unleash the Archers have dropped new songs. Fun Friday again.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:18 AM   #1574
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
Alright, I can't let this go on any further, f'ing BabyMetal.

Just so I completely understand, how old are you guys and how long have you been listening to metal? If you're younger than 25 then it makes sense, but you're aware this band is pure gimmick and fabricated just like the Backstreet Boys and One Direction?

Do metal fans not care anymore? I might be too old.

I think you might be, metal fans complaining about something not being metal enough is so lame. I love when bands bend metal into new genres (Devin Townsend is another great example), and Babymetal is just pure fun. Look at any of their live recordings from music festivals, I guarantee you won't find a more diverse crowd in any other rock/metal show. And there is nothing gimmicky about the Kami band, that's just an insult to the talent they have

The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 12:09 PM   #1575
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I can't get past the cringe factor personally.

Metal is a genre defined by it's extreme and ridiculous caricatures, so I can see why they've gotten popular, especially in niche markets. But I can't stand them personally.

Last edited by AC; 10-11-2019 at 03:22 PM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:20 PM   #1576
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Meanwhile my 3 frontrunners for best death metal album of the year just recently came out:

Old 10-11-2019, 12:43 PM   #1577
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I can't get past the cringe factor personally.

Metal is a genre defined by it's extreme and ridiculous charactures, so I can see why they've gotten popular, especially in niche markets. But I can't stand them personally.

I feel the same about most black and death metal. I mean look at the fonts for each of the bands you just posted, each one looks like it's trying to outdo the last for most unreadable. And I've seen way too many music videos featuring 4 pale white guys with long hair in a desolate winter forest. But I have no issue with any fans that do like that stuff, different tastes and whatnot. I'm just so tired of metal fans on the internet trying to out elite each other and labeling anything outside the norm as trash
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 03:21 PM   #1578
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Yep like I said, metal is a collection of ridiculous caricatures.

Baby Metal creeps me out because it dips into the infantilization yet odd sexualization that Japan is especially known for. Makes my skin crawl.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 04:09 PM   #1579
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I feel the same about most black and death metal. I mean look at the fonts for each of the bands you just posted, each one looks like it's trying to outdo the last for most unreadable. And I've seen way too many music videos featuring 4 pale white guys with long hair in a desolate winter forest. But I have no issue with any fans that do like that stuff, different tastes and whatnot. I'm just so tired of metal fans on the internet trying to out elite each other and labeling anything outside the norm as trash
This. I see posters for a festival and I can't even figure out the names of half the bands. I'll probably like the music, but who are you?
Old 10-11-2019, 04:19 PM   #1580
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Yep like I said, metal is a collection of ridiculous caricatures.

Baby Metal creeps me out because it dips into the infantilization yet odd sexualization that Japan is especially known for. Makes my skin crawl.
I could understand that if you only watched their first few videos, where you're watching literal children dancing. But they ditched that school girl motif years ago when the 2nd album came out, and now they're in their 20's and nothing about their sound or image is overtly sexualized

I will say the hardcore Babymetal fans are cringe worthy and sometimes creepy. I put them in the same category as Rick & Morty, enjoy them for what they are but stay away from the fan forums