Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2020, 10:40 AM   #101
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Well I have a Mitchell jersey and it will probably be the last CFL player jersey I buy. From year to year it's starting to feel like Bo and a bunch of newly assembled players. I'm glad a lot of players are getting their dream opportunities to play in the NFL but man it makes it hard as a CFL fan to see most of the league's best players leave year after year.
I see the good and bad. CFL players used to never get a sniff at the NFL. That's no longer the case, which I think is a good thing because it legitimizes the league and its players.

So I can live with guys like Singleton and Roberson leaving. The CFL has always attracted a certain kind of player (undersized, non-traditional types), but when someone has NFL-calibre talent they should be competing in the NFL.

What has changed in the last couple of years are (i) the number of players leaving just to get a shot on an NFL practice roster, and (ii) the number of players signing shorter contracts and switching CFL teams, in part due to the salary cap. The former means a lot of good players (i.e. Vaughters, Thurman, Michel come to mind) leave the CFL but don't crack the NFL either. Some come back (Eric Rogers), but many do not. Meanwhile, the latter means there are a million free agents at the end of each season, and a lot of roster turnover. As a fan that can be frustrating, but does help with parity in the league (well, in the West at least; hopefully Toronto and Ottawa can be a little more competitive next year).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
The last decade plus has seen complete and utter Stampeder dominance. Just imagine how domiant they would have been if they didn't continue to get raped and pillaged by the NFL and the rest of the CFL as well due to the salary cap.
As long as the CFL can put out a good product on the field, and Huff can make them competitive (he will), that's good enough for me. No doubt we've been pretty spoiled the past 8-12 years here in Calgary...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2020, 01:10 PM   #102
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

As long as we can retain good QBs that should be fine. There are prob 50,000 american players that can fill out all the other positions.

Hard to replace a good QB though.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:27 PM   #103
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the CFL should enter an agreement with the NFL where they become a sudo farm system that allows 2 or 3 NFL teams per CFL team to stock players up to a 60 player roster. Maintain the current Canadian requirements and CFL rule structure.
I dunno I really think the league needs something to stimulate the interests of the youth and getting Mexican or German players isn't going to cut it.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:07 PM   #104
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reggie Begleton officially signs with Green Bay:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1214309807857033219
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2020, 10:05 AM   #105
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

The XFL won't last past one season. They want to do a soccer style "shoot out" in OT. lol

Yeah how interesting would it be to see the 4 different types of plays you can run from the 5 yard line...

They want a faster game. Easy fix. Just pay the CFL $20million a year to play 3 down football.

https://www.tsn.ca/xfl-to-unveil-rul...onth-1.1423612
Old 01-07-2020, 02:02 PM   #106
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ka’Deem Carey has signed a contract extention:

https://www.stampeders.com/2020/01/0...act-extension/

Quote:
The Calgary Stampeders have signed American running back Ka’Deem Carey to a contract extension that will keep him with the Red and White through the 2021 season.
Quote:
“Ka’Deem is a talented and experienced player who performed well for us when given the opportunity last season,” said Stampeders president and general manager John Hufnagel. “I look forward to seeing him at full strength and health in training camp as he competes for a key role in our offence.”
Quote:
“I’m very excited,” said Carey. “This organization and this city are a perfect fit for me and I’m so happy to be here for the next two years. I get to play in front of the best fans in the CFL, play with the best quarterback in the league and work with a great coaching staff. I’m training hard to play 21 games this coming season and give it my all for a run at the championship so that we can continue this organization’s tradition of success.”
I hope he has better luck injury wise this year.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2020, 02:04 PM   #107
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is encouraging as he looked good when given the opportunity. Hopefully he can stay healthy.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2020, 02:11 PM   #108
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1214597993095221254
dash_pinched is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:41 PM   #109
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/two-onta...ttes-1.4754699

Quote:
Stern was asked why the pair chose to target the Alouettes and not the Argonauts, who were for sale a few years ago.

"It's difficult, please take it the right way and If I say it the wrong way: the Argos suck," Stern said. "Can I say that?"
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2020, 09:57 AM   #110
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bo Levi Mitchell has undergone successful surgery to remove a cyst from his right shoulder.

The Calgary Stampeders quarterback had a cyst removed from his throwing shoulder last month and it’s possible that he could miss the start of training camp.

The Stamps are optimistic that he’ll be available, but neither head coach Dave Dickenson or president/GM John Hufnagel would fully commit to that.

“Bo had a little bit of a shoulder procedure done trying to fix what’s been bothering him for the last couple years,” Hufnagel said Tuesday at the CFL’s annual winter meetings. “He went to doctors in L.A. Everything went very, very well and right now he’s ahead of schedule. We’re hoping for the best and that he can get some work done during training camp, but it’s wait-and-see.”

Some other news regarding Juwan Brescacin and Derek Dennis in the link embedded in the tweet below.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1214721230529613826
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2020, 12:47 PM   #111
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1214977299717734400

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2020, 02:01 PM   #112
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

What the hell??!! is that a Yoda Smurf?
Old 01-09-2020, 01:08 PM   #113
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
What the hell??!! is that a Yoda Smurf?
I see you are late to the Mandalorian party.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 04:11 PM   #114
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I see you are late to the Mandalorian party.
Maybe i'll check it out. I'm pretty much starwarsed out.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:21 AM   #115
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Danny Maciocia is back in the CFL as the Als general manager.

https://3downnation.com/2020/01/13/o...neral-manager/
Old 01-13-2020, 12:13 PM   #116
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Steam Roller.

Its too bad that Maas wasn't available so that Danny could think about him and call him every night.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:14 AM   #117
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

There goes another one:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1217509510434230274

The Following User Says Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2020, 12:52 PM   #118
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another big loss in the secondary. The 2020 team will be barely recognizable at this rate.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 11:46 AM   #119
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stamps announced their whole coaching staff for 2020. Welcome back Marquay!

https://www.stampeders.com/2020/01/1...ootball-staff/

Quote:
Marquay McDaniel, whose 10-year playing career in the CFL included six seasons with the Stamps, is the new receivers coach while George Cortez returns for a fourth stint as a member of the Calgary staff, this time as offensive assistant and running backs coach.

Dwayne Cameron, who had been serving as a regional scouting consultant for the Stamps, becomes the linebackers coach. Cameron will also continue to work closely with the player personnel department in preparation for the CFL draft.

Taylor Altilio, a Calgary native who was the BC Lions’ special-teams coordinator in 2019, returns to the Stampeders as assistant special teams coach.

In addition, Marc Mueller will tutor the quarterbacks on head coach Dave Dickenson’s staff after serving five seasons as the Stamps’ running backs coach. As previously announced, offensive line coach Pat DelMonaco has added the title of offensive coordinator to his portfolio.

Coaches returning in the same role are Mark Kilam (special teams coordinator and assistant head coach), Brent Monson (defensive coordinator), Corey Mace (defensive line coach) and Joshua Bell (defensive backs coach).
Quote:
“Part of our success through the years has been continuity on our coaching staff,” said Dickenson. “Although we’ve had some changes, I’m excited to bring in four individuals I’ve worked with in the past in George, Marquay, Dwayne and Taylor. I’m also very grateful for the loyalty shown by the returning coaches. As a staff, we’re focused on getting better in 2020.”

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2020, 12:41 PM   #120
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like that George Cortez is back in the fold, his experience and imagination when it comes to offensive strategies should hopefully be a big plus for the Stamps.