Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2019, 07:48 AM   #41
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I must be the only one that see's this as excessive, crosschecks like that happen every playoff game without even a penalty
Time to put up or shut up.

I'll even make it easy for you and separate the two halves of this play. Show me all the examples of guys coming in and decking someone, square from behind, into the crossbar OR who drill down into a player who's already lying prone on the ice. Given you claim it happens "every playoff game", you should have absolutely no trouble finding me at least a half dozen examples.

No, the only thing that is off about this entire call is the fact that the referees didn't call an attempt to injure match penalty. The *first* crosscheck was a borderline ejection. The second absolutely should have been.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:51 AM   #42
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's October 2017...

Someone needs to get a hold of him and put the fear of retribution in him if they're going to let him play
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 10:56 AM   #43
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

An actual NHL referee watched that entire sequence and deemed one minor penalty appropriate punishment: the initial crosscheck worthy of two minutes, and the second crosscheck not rising to the level worthy of infraction.

Unbelievable. Should have been 2+5+game and a double-digit suspension.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:00 AM   #44
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

They are calling that 4-6 week injury, but that's going to be an injury that hampers him for the rest of his career/life.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:49 AM   #45
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
The first crosscheck is nothing special. It's the second to a prone player that caused a 4-6 week injury and deserves a severe suspension.
It almost seems like the first cross check is worse because the Arvidsson's head appears to smack into the crossbar and snaps backward.

But upon slow-mo replay, you can see Arvidsson puts his hands up at the last second.

Still seems like a dangerous play to crosscheck someone into another object.

Last edited by shadowlord; 11-25-2019 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Grammar
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:59 PM   #46
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t know how bartuzzo doesn’t get vigilante’d at some point. Doesn’t have to be a fair fight. A dirty butt end, elbow, etc works fine.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 02:05 PM   #47
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Suspension is a joke. Ok NHL if that's what you want to be a joke league.

Sometimes I wonder why I watch anymore.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 02:10 PM   #48
cowtown75
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bortuzzo uses his stick like a lethal weapon with intent to injure. As a repeat offender, four games seems light to me. Especially when his target is out 4-6 weeks. Brutal.
cowtown75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cowtown75 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 02:16 PM   #49
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Arvidsson is out 4-6 weeks because of this. Over the next six weeks, the Blues play 19 games. Therefore I believe 19 would have been appropriate. Bump it up one to 20 games to have a nice even number.

The NHL needs to start getting serious about this stuff. That was a garbage play and 4 games is not nearly enough.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 02:20 PM   #50
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Arvidsson is out 4-6 weeks because of this. Over the next six weeks, the Blues play 19 games. Therefore I believe 19 would have been appropriate. Bump it up one to 20 games to have a nice even number.

The NHL needs to start getting serious about this stuff. That was a garbage play and 4 games is not nearly enough.
I’m starting to get on board with this kind of punishment. If they are going to take injury into account, as they do, the term should match.

If he was fine, there probably wouldn’t have been a suspension at all. Which basically nullifies all the efforts made at deterring this kind of behaviour .
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 02:23 PM   #51
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bortuzzo is the very definition of a 'big galoot'. Guy is reckless, dangerous and extremely stupid out on the ice.

He needs to be eradicated from the NHL soon because he seems to be one of those guys who is unable or unwilling to learn from past transgressions. Guy has serious issues in that regard.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:27 PM   #52
Mayo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

4 games for this is such a joke especially considering the consequence to Ardvinsson

If Bortuzzo gets Bertuzzied I won't feel bad
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote