Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2019, 10:43 PM   #41
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vegas will do themselves a lot of favours if they limit McNabb's ice time to about 11 mins per game, if not healthy scratch him.

Guy can't handle the puck to save his life. He handles the puck like he has serious coordination issues.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:52 PM   #42
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep, Kelly and Burkie both think Bortuzzo should be getting suspended for that 2nd cross check, and rightly so. That was nasty, definitely malicious AND straight up garbage.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:57 PM   #43
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It's a lot easier to fill out depth than to find a dominant gamebreaker and as sad as it is to admit, Edmonton now has two of them. Draisaitl does not really need McDavid to drag him along but McDavid can and has turned him into a dominant player.

When McDavid and Draisaitl consistently puts up 3 or 4 points every night, they really need just one more depth guy to contribute something and they win the game. For example tonight it was Granlund scoring a goal and that was pretty much the difference on the scoreboard.

I hate the Oil as much as any Flames fan but I think to discredit McDavid and Draisaitl's dominance this season is a bit naive. I've always felt that when the Oilers won that lottery, they essentially won themselves at least one Stanley Cup. I just hope they're limited to one while they have McDavid and the Flames also win one soon, so that it makes the Oilers lifting the cup a little more bearable.

Listen, I absolutely hate the Oilers. But as long as they have McDavid and Draisaitl, I think it's more likely than not that they win a Cup.
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedHawk12 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2019, 11:09 PM   #44
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk12 View Post
as long as they have McDavid and Draisaitl, I think it's more likely than not that they win a Cup.

direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2019, 11:38 PM   #45
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Yeah I'm serious. A player like McDavid will not play an entire career and not win at least one Cup. So as long as he's with Edmonton, the Oilers will more likely than not win at least one Cup. I stand by my comment.

I hope it doesn't happen obviously. But if I were a betting man I'd put my money on him winning at least one. Makes me puke but still.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:41 PM   #46
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's a lot easier to fill out depth than to find a dominant gamebreaker and as sad as it is to admit, Edmonton now has two of them. Draisaitl does not really need McDavid to drag him along but McDavid can and has turned him into a dominant player.

When McDavid and Draisaitl consistently puts up 3 or 4 points every night, they really need just one more depth guy to contribute something and they win the game. For example tonight it was Granlund scoring a goal and that was pretty much the difference on the scoreboard.

I hate the Oil as much as any Flames fan but I think to discredit McDavid and Draisaitl's dominance this season is a bit naive. I've always felt that when the Oilers won that lottery, they essentially won themselves at least one Stanley Cup. I just hope they're limited to one while they have McDavid and the Flames also win one soon, so that it makes the Oilers lifting the cup a little more bearable.

Listen, I absolutely hate the Oilers. But as long as they have McDavid and Draisaitl, I think it's more likely than not that they win a Cup.

The Lightning had 3 players with 318 points last year (plus a Vezina caliber goalie and a Norris caliber defenseman) and didn’t win a game in the playoffs. Playoffs are a whole different beast
Old 11-24-2019, 12:03 AM   #47
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watching Draisaitl makes me embarrassed of how useless Bennett is.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 12:05 AM   #48
Dube
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Those Oilers look pretty darn good
Dube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2019, 12:08 AM   #49
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I'm serious. A player like McDavid will not play an entire career and not win at least one Cup. So as long as he's with Edmonton, the Oilers will more likely than not win at least one Cup. I stand by my comment.

I hope it doesn't happen obviously. But if I were a betting man I'd put my money on him winning at least one. Makes me puke but still.
There are 31 teams and a salary cap now....lots of great players won't win cups

More likely than not? 31 almost 32 teams do the math. A Canadian team hasn't even won a cup in nearly 30 years.

Last edited by dino7c; 11-24-2019 at 12:10 AM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 12:29 AM   #50
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
There are 31 teams and a salary cap now....lots of great players won't win cups

More likely than not? 31 almost 32 teams do the math. A Canadian team hasn't even won a cup in nearly 30 years.
I don't think you can do the math on something like this but show me if you can.

All I'm saying is I think players like McDavid will likely win at least one cup in their career. These "generational" players or whatever they're labelled as. Crosby has. Ovechkin has. I think McDavid will.

Agree to disagree if you would like. It's just my opinion.

Last edited by RedHawk12; 11-24-2019 at 12:34 AM.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:34 AM   #51
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Marcel Dionne.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:43 AM   #52
Zach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

“playoffs are a different beast” How about just make the playoffs. The West is weak this year its an open race
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 01:47 AM   #53
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
What I'm most confused about is how Draisaitl can't do anything on his own? He's so dominant out there when McDavid is on the ice but without him he's lost. And I don't mean clean up dominant like Chaisson but legit drives the play.
It's confidence.

When you know that there's a high chance you'll bag points just by sticking your ass out in front the net when McDavid's on the ice, you probably feel like you're invincible.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 01:49 AM   #54
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Why should it?

We didn't have the option to draft Draisaitl. He was off the table. So what does it matter?

It's different if we were the Canucks passing on Tkachuk when he was the obvious option and available. That's when it hurts. That was not the case for the Flames.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2019, 02:38 AM   #55
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
“playoffs are a different beast” How about just make the playoffs. The West is weak this year its an open race
The Blues are weak? Healthy Colorado?

Oilers couldn't beat either of these teams in a 7 game series. Playoffs often come down to depth.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:46 AM   #56
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Better player gets taken before lesser player. More at 11.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:46 AM   #57
3rd liner
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am wondering if the oilers soft schedule to start the season didn’t play a role here. Most of us thought they would come crashing down to earth in November when they actually played some playoff teams. I think they lost a couple games here and there, but no crash. Like somebody said earlier- confidence is so important. Get your team rolling and your systems in place against weak opponents and suddenly stronger teams don’t scare you. Just a theory.
3rd liner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3rd liner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2019, 08:47 AM   #58
3rd liner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nm double post
3rd liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:10 AM   #59
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
They've been saying this since they drafted the likes of Sam Gagner, Andrew Cogliano in their first rebuild. Was it Glenn Healy saying that it's not matter of if they'll win Stanley Cup, it's how many?
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikk3 View Post
That was Ron McLean
No. It wasn't McLean. McLean was the one who in predicted at least one Stanley Cup win by 2019. midniteowl is right. The "not a matter of if but how many" drivel was from Glenn Healy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 11-24-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:12 AM   #60
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think you can do the math on something like this but show me if you can.

All I'm saying is I think players like McDavid will likely win at least one cup in their career. These "generational" players or whatever they're labelled as. Crosby has. Ovechkin has. I think McDavid will.

Agree to disagree if you would like. It's just my opinion.
McDavid will probably win a Stanley Cup eventually, but not until after Edmonton is permanently in his rearview mirror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post: