Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2019, 06:47 AM   #41
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if ownership will give Treliving a 3rd coach. He's had good moves and bad moves but if Peters goes, I think Tree goes too. Regardless of what we think of Neal and Lucic, the media has ridiculed the Flames organization continuously for that trade and I don't expect ownership is happy about that.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:57 AM   #42
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's been massively overrated for most of his tenure here. He's had some good moves and some bad moves, but the bad moves have been REALLY bad and the good moves have been gambles that could've gone either way. Drafting has been horrendous IMO. I don't think he's a guy who takes you to anything more than a middle of the pack team.

I wish I could have the same kind of faith that Jiri does that stability will eventually lead to success, but that only holds water when you're committing to a guy who can build a winner. He's had six years and the team is in shambles, coaching hires have been questionable or worse, he stuck himself right up against the cap by committing huge amounts of unmovable money to the bottom half of the roster, and the pipeline is barren. This franchise has nothing going for it and I really don't understand why the architect of that that situation deserves loyalty. D Sutter was let go for creating an almost identical set of circumstances and he hasn't had another sniff at a GM position since. I suspect Treliving wouldn't either, if he were let go today.

Last edited by mrdonkey; 11-22-2019 at 07:11 AM.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:15 AM   #43
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I don't know if ownership will give Treliving a 3rd coach. He's had good moves and bad moves but if Peters goes, I think Tree goes too. Regardless of what we think of Neal and Lucic, the media has ridiculed the Flames organization continuously for that trade and I don't expect ownership is happy about that.
I don't plan on trolling but there is one comment I want to add as you and others have.

If he fires Peters that means he's fired 3 coaches, 2 of them being his own handpicked men.
no matter his good moves, if he gets something like that so wrong so often, it is a major failing of his tenure. one that can't be overlooked.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2019, 07:16 AM   #44
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
I would say the exact opposite but only with the benefit of hindsight.

In hindsight the trade to acquire Hamilton wasn't great considering the quality of players available at the time we would have picked.

Trading away Hamilton was a big win for us.

Both trades were fine, they are the last thing to criticize Treliving for.
Na. Disagree. I think hindsight after the first 9 months after the trade made it look like a win because Lindholm really broke out and Dougie had his traditions 2/3 of an adjustment with a new team. Now that he is comfortable, like he had gotten in Calgary, he is taking off and looking like a Norris level defencemen. Lindholm on the other hand is slipping back a little, although still a very good player. Don’t know if we’ll ever see Hanifin blossom into more than he currently is, I’ll keep hoping but I’m sceptical. As it stand now it’s a Norris Level defencemen plus small pieces for a very good but not great winger (who probably could play centre but it’s still to be determined if he’d produce at the same level there) and an inconsistent defencemen. Again, I don’t do that trade.
jonkaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:17 AM   #45
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

His time will be coming to an end soon. I bet they'll see what changes hell make in the off season then give him an extremely short leash to start the season next year. I dont think he's a terrible gm but I do believe he over evaluated his team and rushed the rebuild!
locsofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:20 AM   #46
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He's made some great deals and signings, but in the end he built a soft, timid team that has little chance to produce a long playoff run.
Outside of beating a really bad and even softer Vancouver team led by old Sedins, his teams have not put up a fight in any other playoff series, they were a speed bump, and a small one at that.

We routinely play small guys on the 3rd and 4th line. If you are there to score 5G a season, may as well be 6'3. My opinion.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:27 AM   #47
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

BT sucks at hiring coaches and signing free agents.

He is very active, and knows what’s going on in the league.

His trades are good.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:30 AM   #48
canadiancactus
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post

His trades are good.
Not all of them
canadiancactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:32 AM   #49
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancactus View Post
Not all of them
Even the good ones are looking iffy in hindsight.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:32 AM   #50
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
Yeah, some of the UFA signings suck in hindsight, but again, tell me that you honestly thought they’d be as bad as Brouwer and Neal turned out.
Why does it matter what any poster thought about those signings when they were made? An NHL caliber GM is supposed to be able to assess talent better than the average run of the mill fan. Treliving has shown a consistent inability to do that when it comes to signing UFA's.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:35 AM   #51
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Didn't he just get signed to an extension last month?
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:36 AM   #52
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

first 3 words are "We have heard"
do you have any proof of these things?
also, do you really think Fleury or Kadri etc. wants to come here?
Old 11-22-2019, 07:45 AM   #53
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post

His trades are good.
Acquiring Hamilton and trading away Russell are the only real slam dunk good trades I can think of off the top of my head.

Hamonic trade bad.

Lazar trade terrible.

Hamilton trade away so so.

Lucic trade atrocious.

Bringing Mike Smith in woof.

Identifying Brian Elliot as our answer in goal. Seems he’s finally figured out the net but it took a lot of mistakes before hitting on something.

And back to drafting... actually not that good. Andersson and Mangiapiane are his only real draft picks that look to be turning into something. Kylington still has potential, but other than that the prospect cupboard is a lot of yikes. He should have identified that Sam Bennett wasn’t living up to his potential long ago, like many fans did, and traded him before his value cratered.

Long list of not good imo.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:15 AM   #54
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
Paragraphs. They're great.
No, they are evil.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:17 AM   #55
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Hamilton deal was still great from my point of view - you added two young core pieces. Add in the contract implications - and it's a damn good deal still.
And I think it has worked out well for Carolina too.
Win win. Nothing wrong with that. Not every deal has to have a winner and a loser.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2019, 08:37 AM   #56
rooster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
first 3 words are "We have heard"
do you have any proof of these things?
also, do you really think Fleury or Kadri etc. wants to come here?
Yes, but it was true. All I was getting at is why do we hear these facts about "the one that got away"? I don't remember information like this coming out so freely in earlier years. They didn't want to come here but why! Did he have Gio call Kadri and smooth the waters?
rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:43 AM   #57
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkaupp View Post
Don’t understand why those moves not working out means that the next best thing was to trade for Lucic and call it good. Like come on.

Regardless, its been his UFA signings that are far and away the most damaging moves he’s made as the GM of this team.
Trading for Lucic had nothing to do with those trades not going through.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:45 AM   #58
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster View Post
Yes, but it was true. All I was getting at is why do we hear these facts about "the one that got away"? I don't remember information like this coming out so freely in earlier years. They didn't want to come here but why! Did he have Gio call Kadri and smooth the waters?
With Kadri at the very least, we have what Kadri said, which was that he didn't want to be traded at all. This to me means he likely listed teams he figured would want him and not those that didn't. He guessed wrong by not listing Colorado, but that's the gamble with an LNTC.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:50 AM   #59
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
The Hamilton deal was still great from my point of view - you added two young core pieces. Add in the contract implications - and it's a damn good deal still.
And I think it has worked out well for Carolina too.
Win win. Nothing wrong with that. Not every deal has to have a winner and a loser.
Really depends how you view Hanifin. If he blossoms into a good player then the trade is fairly even. But if what we’ve seen is what we are getting then it is not a great trade. Hanifin s contract looks not great if this is all were gonna get. The Lindholm deal is probably Trelivings best move. Between that and the acquiring Hamilton deal.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:50 AM   #60
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I’m not sure If this a question for a whole new thread.. but, is Calgary one of those places players just don’t want to sign in, And why? The weather isn’t as bad as most areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote