Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2019, 10:26 PM   #21
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Fire all the GMs!

First, we're gonna fire Dubas!

Then, we're gonna fire Benning!

Then, we're gonna fire what ever flaming tire is at the top in Edmonton!

Then we're gonna head south and fire Treliving!

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:30 PM   #22
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Calm the f down
Just having some fun
I think you need to calm the f down.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:30 PM   #23
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think he’s had the worst luck possible on the Brouwer and Neal signings. Who the hell ever saw those guys turning into complete dog $&!@ after they were signed? Frolik has been good to serviceable up until this year. Is Lucic any worse than Neal was for us last year? No, this lies right at the feet of the players in that dressing room.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zulu29 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 10:31 PM   #24
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
I think you need to calm the f down.
How about we both calm the f down?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:31 PM   #25
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieuwy-89 View Post
The Lucic for Neal trade is a disaster and will handcuff this team for years. it.

If you are going to rant,at least do so with some rational thought.

Neal’s contract would cost us more. Complain about the Neal signing all you want, but that’s the deal that handcuffed them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:40 PM   #26
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
No way I wanna see..

zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 10:43 PM   #27
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
It’s not “credit”. But it’s refutation of the notion he sat on his hands and didn’t try to improve the team. He tried - it just didn’t get done. What could he have done to make those trades work? In one case the other team f’d up the documents. In another the player vetoed and then got traded anyway.
Don’t understand why those moves not working out means that the next best thing was to trade for Lucic and call it good. Like come on.

Regardless, its been his UFA signings that are far and away the most damaging moves he’s made as the GM of this team.
jonkaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:46 PM   #28
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkaupp View Post
Don’t understand why those moves not working out means that the next best thing was to trade for Lucic and call it good. Like come on.

Regardless, its been his UFA signings that are far and away the most damaging moves he’s made as the GM of this team.
Yeah, some of the UFA signings suck in hindsight, but again, tell me that you honestly thought they’d be as bad as Brouwer and Neal turned out.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:03 PM   #29
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
Yeah, some of the UFA signings suck in hindsight, but again, tell me that you honestly thought they’d be as bad as Brouwer and Neal turned out.
I did not like either deal, no I didnt believe they’d be the unmitigated disasters they turned out to be but I still didnt care for either. . I got talked off the ledge on the Neal signing after my initial anger about it, but turns out my initial feeling was 100 percent right. And more importantly, I’m not paid millions of dollars to make those decisions. But when you are the guy getting paid that, then you don’t deserve the benefit of keeping your job when you are that disastrously wrong.

Don’t sign old players to long contracts. Make exceptions for home grown players, to a point. Such a simple concept and yet seems to escape basically every GM.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:08 PM   #30
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieuwy-89 View Post
I think it’s legitimate to ask some hard questions about his performance in calendar year 2019.

As of January 1, you could give him credit for building a contender and putting the team on solid footing. But since then he’s had a horrible year. Standing pat at the the trade deadline was obviously a big mistake. The Lucic for Neal trade is a disaster and will handcuff this team for years. And I’m not convinced that our GM and front office should be let off the hook for the “almost” deals for Zucker and Kadri.

The only positive move this year was re-signing Tkachuk, but even that was sloppy and dragged on for too long. It created needless drama and restricted his ability to do any other deals.

Something’s wrong with the team. We saw it exposed in the playoffs last year and it has continued into this season. I’m not sure that Tre has his finger on the pulse of this locker room.

Being accountable is fun when times are good...let’s see if he holds himself accountable for the first quarter of this season and does something about it.

I dunno Lucic has been our best player the last few games
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 11:21 PM   #31
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

After the disaster that was the Brouwer and Stone contracts he should have just rode it out instead of doubling down, team would be in a lot better cap shape going forward. I wouldn't have even minded the Stone contract if he hadn't made the Hamonic trade, one or the other but both made no sense. He's an average to good GM overall but is badly overrated around here.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:24 PM   #32
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
It’s not “credit”. But it’s refutation of the notion he sat on his hands and didn’t try to improve the team. He tried - it just didn’t get done. What could he have done to make those trades work? In one case the other team f’d up the documents. In another the player vetoed and then got traded anyway.
Didnt it come out that the Flames actually f'd up in the Zucker deal?.... Everyone just thought it was the Wild.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:24 PM   #33
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
After the disaster that was the Brouwer and Stone contracts he should have just rode it out instead of doubling down, team would be in a lot better cap shape going forward. I wouldn't have even minded the Stone contract if he hadn't made the Hamonic trade, one or the other but both made no sense. He's an average to good GM overall but is badly overrated around here.
God I’m tired of the “we didn’t need the Hamonic trade” rhetoric. Look at the blue line at the time of the trade, look at the player at the time of the trade. There were major holes and he looked to be the perfect fit on a great contract. Clearly it hasn’t worked out as planned.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zulu29 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 11:28 PM   #34
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
God I’m tired of the “we didn’t need the Hamonic trade” rhetoric. Look at the blue line at the time of the trade, look at the player at the time of the trade. There were major holes and he looked to be the perfect fit on a great contract. Clearly it hasn’t worked out as planned.
I'm okay with the Hamonic trade or the Stone signing, just not both.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:43 PM   #35
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 11:44 PM   #36
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
Sure but he gave up a lot for it and there were understandably a lot of people doubting it. His metrics with the islanders the previous year were atrocious. Hamonic isn’t a bad player but he isn’t three high draft picks good. That trade has set the depth of prospect pool back considerably. Far as I’m concerned it was a premature trade, this team wasn’t ready to make the next step at that point and the fact that his contract is running out and we still haven’t won a playoff series is a pretty big indictment.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:56 PM   #37
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Also don’t think the Hamilton trade is going to ultimately be judged well by history. I think after the next couple years, hell maybe this year, it’s gonna look like this;

Hamilton (Norris trophy finalist)
3rd round pick
1 year of Michael Ferland

For

Elias Lindholm (60-80pt winger, not a major driver of play)
Noah Hanifin (inconsistent defencemen)

I don’t do that trade. The trade where Treliving acquired Hamilton will forever be his crowning achievement.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:04 AM   #38
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would say the exact opposite but only with the benefit of hindsight.

In hindsight the trade to acquire Hamilton wasn't great considering the quality of players available at the time we would have picked.

Trading away Hamilton was a big win for us.

Both trades were fine, they are the last thing to criticize Treliving for.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2019, 05:54 AM   #39
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Rabble?
Rabble rabble.
Not sure what you are getting at here Jiri? As you know this is year six of the BT regime and there are folks like you that think some sort of long term job security project for a mediocre GM like Brad is a social service program that the Flames should provide. Other fans have a different opinion and feel that we should hire a GM that at least appears to have a coherent plan that could lead the Flames to the heights of the end of the Feaster era where Brad inherited a team that in his first year made the second round before Brad started dismantling it.

I think there is room on CP for folks like yourself that think the Flames should be a charity project for Brad’s failed GM ambitions and folks that want the Flames to get a good GM.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:37 AM   #40
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I consider the Hamonic trade really bad. A 1st round pick and two 2nds for one good year from a 2nd pairing defenseman. That's the return I would expect for a 1B defenseman not a 2B. The mistakes are adding up and he's made a mess of the salary cap and cost ownership a lot of money in buyouts with the Lucic buyout in the near forecast. He even helped the Oilers out which is a major sin IMO from a Flames GM.

We all get that he's a tireless worker which is great and all but at times it feels like he's throwing darts at the board with his signings and trades and I think he's more of an overachiever than an astute GM. He also has no feel for what's a good head coach. I'm very worried about what he could do to try and salvage this season as I don't know if he's a man with the patience to do the right thing which is to see this season through to the end being sellers at the deadline. It doesn't have to be a full rebuild but it's clear the roster needs to be retooled and requires an infusion of younger cost controlled talent and the only way to do that is to accumulate draft picks and prospects.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: