Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2019, 11:49 PM   #701
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Haha. I was thinking the exact same thing. Trolling or oblivious, couldn't decide.
Oblivious.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:41 AM   #702
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

World premiere tonight which means we'll likely hear the initial spoiler-free reactions.

They were mostly glowing after TLJ though, so you have to take them with a big grain of salt.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:42 AM   #703
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Always, I'm a bit suspicious of pre reviews now.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 12:41 PM   #704
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup. I’m convinced Disney buys positive reviews. Not believing a word I read after the “best Star Wars film ever made” reviews came out last time.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 01:52 PM   #705
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Yup. I’m convinced Disney buys positive reviews. Not believing a word I read after the “best Star Wars film ever made” reviews came out last time.

That was the first time I've ever been burned by Rotten Tomatoes. I would have never believed that so many reviewers could be bought or intimidated by Disney, but I really don't see any alternative. Even if you rip out all the Star Wars lore that TLJ crapped all over, it's just not a good movie
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 03:25 PM   #706
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
That was the first time I've ever been burned by Rotten Tomatoes. I would have never believed that so many reviewers could be bought or intimidated by Disney, but I really don't see any alternative. Even if you rip out all the Star Wars lore that TLJ crapped all over, it's just not a good movie
depends on whether you were looking at the critic or fan scores, the latter of which started off significantly lower and only continued to drop from there. aside from the critics who feared/bowed down to The Mouse, I'm betting a bunch of them had a similar reaction to mine when they first exited the theater, which was "that was...ok...I think?" and based their review on that. my brain wouldn't let me believe what I saw was really part of the main SW continuity. only with further reflection did the ugly truth finally emerge.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 03:47 PM   #707
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

To be fair most people didn't realize how poorly the movie fit into the saga until after they sat on what they had observed. I'd say it took a month before it had fully dawned on the majority of the fanbase that what they had seen wasn't a risky departure, but just bad.

As for the initial reviews that said "best since Empire" etc, when you're caught up in the spectacle of sitting with the entire cast and crew including your childhood icons in a theater to watch their movie, with that had admittedly pretty solid production, you probably get a little carried away.

The same thing will probably happen here I would guess, but hopefully there are some nuggets of hope in there that it's at least a much more solid entry.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2019, 03:51 PM   #708
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think a lot of reviewers view it positively just to #### on the nerds/"manbabies"/"incels" that didn't like it.

I remember being so excited going to the theatre on opening night. I hadn't spoiled anything, just that it would do things differently than any other Star Wars and would subvert my expectations. So I was ready for anything. Big changes.

Instead, it told me my expectations didn't matter because nothing mattered. Instead of thinking the series would turn left instead of right, it just pumped the brakes.

It's really truly hilarious that they had to revive Palpatine for this last movie, but it makes sense because Episode 8 left me truly emotionless and with no care to continue on with any of the sequels.

Last edited by Ashasx; 12-16-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 04:07 PM   #709
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by djsFlames; 12-17-2019 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:12 AM   #710
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...ctions-1263015

Reactions come across more grounded this time around.

Sounds like a complete 180 from TLJ though, so that's something to grasp on to. Can't wait, two days!
Old 12-17-2019, 06:54 AM   #711
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I will be disappointed if the story sucks but come on,

Lightsabers,
space battles,
the Falcon (with Lando),
Droids,
Palpatine,

add in some overpriced popcorn and a drink and I'm sure we will all enjoy it.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 07:08 AM   #712
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Count me in as someone who just wants Fan service. Please and thank you!
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordan! For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2019, 07:28 AM   #713
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

From a lot of reactions I have read it sounds pretty mixed. It sounds like the movie has some touching moments that work, a lot of solid action, some plot issues, fan service (good and bad), etc. Sounds like at the very least it's better than TLJ.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:31 AM   #714
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Be careful scrolling through social media platforms, I've already inadvertently seen a screenshot from the film.

I'm up for a little servicing also (Mandalorian has done a lot of that and I've enjoyed the hell out of it), as long as it makes sense and the story retains some degree of originality despite it.

Interesting that some are calling it a bit of an FU to Rian. Not going to lie, I'm all for that!
Old 12-17-2019, 10:57 AM   #715
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I've avoided all spoilers thus far, so am pretty excited. Some of these reviews have me a bit nervous though. Describing the film as the most "original trilogy" of the new films sound a lot like the reviews that came out post-Attack of the Clones, where the studios actively tried to cover up an atrocious previous film with lame fan service. The "constant action" was also how they described Solo, which was hot garbage.

It also seems a lot of the negative reviews are coming from critics who don't want to admit they were wrong about TLJ. It's one think to say you liked the TLJ, it's another to state that you expect a better reaction to it than any movie besides Empire.

Anyways, for better or worse, I have my tickets for this Thursday at 7:30 PM.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:04 AM   #716
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So the ones that suckled from the alien teat of TLJ aren't happy about this one?

Sounds like I'm going to love it.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:05 AM   #717
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did people really think Solo was "hot garbage?" I admit to really enjoying it, honestly.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2019, 11:11 AM   #718
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly just give me fan service! The Star Wars fantasy world is really cool and I want to see as many aspects of it as possible.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2019, 11:12 AM   #719
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yea, it sounds like it's a very different film from TLJ, which I fully expected due to how polarizing that movie was. But most importantly, many of the reactions I've read so far are calling it a satisfying conclusion to the overall saga, which is all I'm really asking for.

Sounds like it's got lots of heart, tons of action, a few flaws, and plenty of fan service as well. I'm excited to see this thing, warts and all!
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:13 AM   #720
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Did people really think Solo was "hot garbage?" I admit to really enjoying it, honestly.

I actually really liked Solo, I thought Rogue one was a better story though. The only scene I really cringed at in Solo was the Maul fan service scene.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:

Tags
nerd rage