Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2019, 01:59 PM   #661
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I liked episode 8. It has its flaws, for sure, but for the most part it was an enjoyable flick IMO. I loved the idea of a bitter, angry, PTSD Luke, and I thought his overall arc was well done. Terrific performance from Hamill as well. I also liked the Rey/Kylo dynamic.

Personally I'm excited for the new movie. Rogue One is still the best of the Disney SW flicks so far, and I'm not sure it'll be topped. But we'll see.
Listen man I don't wanna sit here and tell you your opinion is wrong, but come on.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 03:03 PM   #662
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Listen man I don't wanna sit here and tell you your opinion is wrong, but come on.

When Mark Hamill publicly states that they got Luke's character arc all wrong, that's the side I'm taking
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 03:06 PM   #663
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Mark Hamill is an actor not a writer. He doesn’t own Luke. I respect his opinion but his opinion does not hold any special significance.

I’d be more interested in what George Lucas thinks since Luke was his character.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 03:07 PM   #664
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I don't want to step in and tell you your wrong, but come on.

There are no less than 4 star wars movies that are objectively worse in every conceivable way. (TPM, AOTC, ROTS, HS). If you are actually claiming any of those movies are better than TLJ, I honestly don't know what they hell you were watching or what you are talking about.

I've said it here before, i've tried to avoid the urge to said it again. I think the Last Jedi was better than any of the fan fiction we have to suffer from everyone trying to erase it.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2019, 03:13 PM   #665
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Mark Hamill is an actor not a writer. He doesn’t own Luke.
Of course he does no one else can (or should) play Luke Skywalker. Disney tried with Han how did that work out?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 03:22 PM   #666
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I was looking at my local theaters here in Saskatoon to potentially get tickets to see the movie a few days earlier, man there are a lot of tickets left. Did some google searching and apparently this movie is not on track to have a great opening weekend. If it's good, word of mouth can help fix that pretty quick, but ya.. I can basically get good seats at almost any show time on opening night still.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:22 PM   #667
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Of course he does no one else can (or should) play Luke Skywalker. Disney tried with Han how did that work out?
What does the actor playing the character have to do with his opinion on the character arc? It’s his job to act. Not write.

Solo didn’t fail because Harrison Ford wasn’t happy with the character.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 04:06 PM   #668
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
What does the actor playing the character have to do with his opinion on the character arc? It’s his job to act. Not write.
Writers feed off the character and the actor playing said character, some characters are written specifically for a certain actor. When it comes to an iconic character it becomes impossible to separate the actor from the character, for both the audience and the writers.
Quote:
Solo didn’t fail because Harrison Ford wasn’t happy with the character.
It failed because "Han Solo" wasn't in the movie.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 04:16 PM   #669
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Last Jedi is the worst because in "subverting expectations" (aka going out of its way to dump on the entire franchise and what people liked about it) it completely derailed any semblance of an interesting story for the trilogy. So badly in fact, that many people are disinterested in the upcoming movie. So badly that they now have to go back in time to bring back a dead villain from the original trilogy to try to make people interested in this dumpster fire.

I don't think any of the prequels managed that, and yes, they were bad. But they didn't intentionally do away with interesting and logical character arc and plot. This trilogy is perfectly summed up by the scene where Luke throws away his lightsabre. Thanks Disney.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 04:23 PM   #670
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

TLJ was a bad story

TLJ was a bad star wars film

TLJ was a well made film
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordan! For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2019, 04:23 PM   #671
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

At the end of the day, I got a level of enjoyment out of the PT, because behind the clunky effects the the awkward dialogue, there was a pretty meaty story that I really liked.

Not only the rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker. The inspired Machinations of Palpatine, finally answering the questions around what the Clone Wars were. The fall of the Jedi that was in effect their own fault as much as the Revenge of the Sith, and finally fleshing out what the Sith were.

The story line in TFA was ok, TLJ threw the story completely off tract. I'm intrigued around the whole Palpatine coming back but at the same time I'm not sure how I feel about it. I will say that for the most part the acting in the ST has been a bit stronger, though Ian and Ewan were really strong in the PT. The effects and the overall presentation of the ST is just plain stronger thanks to advances in film making

But the story in the ST, just hasn't captured me, mainly because the first one was almost like a retelling of ANH, and the second one was just bad.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2019, 05:07 PM   #672
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post
TLJ was a bad story

TLJ was a bad star wars film

TLJ was a well made film

It was a well produced film, it was not a well written film - as a stand alone film, or as part 8 of a 9 part saga.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 05:50 PM   #673
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

TLJ might be the best looking Star Wars movie. The cinematography, effects, and attention to detail were top notch. I also found it entertaining as a stand alone movie but wow does it ever fall apart as the 2nd of a trilogy. Plot threads were ignored, unnecessary characters and side plots were introduced, and it did nothing to excite me for episode 9.

Disney has really dropped the ball. They started out well with TWA but it’s been all down hill since. I didn’t even like Rogue One. The story was mainly fan service and retconning following a group of unlikable one dimensional characters. The ending had no impact on me since I didn’t care about or relate to any of them.

It’s crazy thinking that 5 years ago I was so excited for a new Star Wars. I couldn’t wait to see it, trying to change plans to see it on opening night, buying tickets well in advance, and feeling anxiety avoiding spoilers. Now I’m like meh I guess I should see how they wrap this up.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:56 PM   #674
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:08 PM   #675
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sweet. I've always felt that the lack of Jeeps was a big hole in Star Wars.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2019, 08:05 PM   #676
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Mark Hamill is an actor not a writer. He doesn’t own Luke. I respect his opinion but his opinion does not hold any special significance.

I’d be more interested in what George Lucas thinks since Luke was his character.
Apparently the Luke in exile idea came from Lucas himself back when they were first developing Episode 7.

https://movieweb.com/last-jedi-luke-...ge-lucas-idea/

Quote:
Luke Skywalker's exile in The Last Jedi has been a big point of contention amongst hardcore Star Wars fans, who balk at the idea of one of the most powerful Jedi in the galaxy going away to be alone instead of fight with the Resistance.

As it turns out, that idea came from none other than Star Wars creator George Lucas. No matter what, it seems that Luke was going to be off by himself, deep in self-reflection, and isolated from the rest of the crew. Rian Johnson and J.J. Abrams took some ideas from Lucas' initial plans for what would've been his version of Episode VII.

A new book detailing the art of The Last Jedi features some concepts George Lucas had done before he sold Lucasfilm off to Disney. He was reportedly set to direct what became The Force Awakens before he handed over the reins to Disney and had some concept art drawn up to reflect his vision.

In the concept art and Lucas' pitch, Luke is exiled away on an island that looks like Ahch-To, but with Jedi temples that look more like something from Return of the Jedi.

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/...-the-last-jedi

Quote:
Johnson's movie used many of the concepts Lucas first had in mind for Episode VII, specifically the story of an older, broken Luke training a young, Force-sensitive disciple named Kira (later renamed "Rey").
Quote:
Lucas' biggest contribution to The Last Jedi was the Luke/Rey story itself, which he'd originally planned for Episode VII, as confirmed by Lucasfilm Story Group member Pablo Hidalgo on Twitter (via Comicbook.com).

The idea played out much like what we saw in Johnson's movie: Luke is down and out on a distant planet thirty years after the fall of the Empire. A new hope named Kira finds the old Jedi Master and they begin her training. We would have seen Luke struggling with his failure to stop the Jedi Killer (renamed "Kylo Ren") from destroying his Jedi Academy. (There's also a really intriguing concept mentioned in The Art of Star Wars: The Last Jedi that suggests that Luke would have been haunted by a Sith ghost during the movie.)
Quote:
Eventually, Luke would have regained his mojo while teaching Kira the ways of the Force and rejoined the fight. That's basically the skeleton of The Last Jedi's plot. Lucas also had a part in crafting the Kylo Ren storyline, including the fact that the villain was to be revealed as Han and Leia's son. Hidalgo also mentioned a character named "Skyler" in his tweets who eventually became Finn.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2019, 08:49 PM   #677
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think most people were excited by the very end of TFA, which looks to be about the point where Lucas's ideas had led. I don't see anything there that reflects what Rian did. Pretty sure Lucas didn't have Luke carelessly tossing his light-sabre off a cliff. Ooo, subversion! This all seems like a weird attempt at justifying really bad story telling. I'm not the biggest Abrams fan, but he nailed the feeling of Star Wars in a way Rian couldn't come close to.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:42 PM   #678
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edit: nm

Last edited by N-E-B; 12-13-2019 at 10:47 PM.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:43 PM   #679
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

TLJ felt like one of the characters' bad dream, where a bunch of crazy things happen but don't make a lot of sense, people act uncharacteristically and event don't feel true to "reality" within that universe and what all the previous episodes had set up.

I guess sort of like one of the one-off episodes of a long running sci fi show where everything is backwards and people die that shouldn't and it's meant to make you concerned but thankfully normality is restored at the end

Except it isn't.

Neat to look at though? Absolutely.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2019, 08:13 AM   #680
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Wait. People don't like episode 8? Why?
Ugh, seriously? Did you avoid any and all Star Wars discourse for two years, just to dredge this up a week before the new movie comes out and we were all finally talking about something else? Now it’s been twenty posts going over all the same old tired stuff.

Let’s move on people. There’s nothing to be said about TLj that hasn’t been said.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:

Tags
nerd rage