Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2024, 10:31 AM   #11861
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some economic analysis and political flavor regarding the budget.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 10:32 AM   #11862
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I think I provide a lot of value actually.
So do many of the “people being employed” that you waved your hand and grouped together. But here we are.

The point that you missed, and that a lot of people who whine about the public sector miss, is that while there are people who don’t bring a ton of value (same is true of the private sector), there are also a lot of people who really, really do and don’t just work their asses off dealing with a system that is very difficult to work in, but bring a lot of value doing so (same is true of the private sector).

Population goes up. Public sector employment goes up. But people still say, “well, why aren’t things BETTER?”

Meanwhile there’s someone working at HR Block doing a job that I effectively just dig on an app, for myself, for free, flawlessly. But hey, Carl at HR Block is “growing the economy” and “providing value” I guess lol.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 11:16 AM   #11863
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
lol.
Doesn't Canada have a pretty bad reputation of tax avoidance?
Which suggests we should be putting in more resources to attack tax avoidance.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 11:22 AM   #11864
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Avoidance is legal, evasion is not.

Not a tax guy though.
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 11:22 AM   #11865
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
So do many of the “people being employed” that you waved your hand and grouped together. But here we are.

The point that you missed, and that a lot of people who whine about the public sector miss, is that while there are people who don’t bring a ton of value (same is true of the private sector), there are also a lot of people who really, really do and don’t just work their asses off dealing with a system that is very difficult to work in, but bring a lot of value doing so (same is true of the private sector).

Population goes up. Public sector employment goes up. But people still say, “well, why aren’t things BETTER?”

Meanwhile there’s someone working at HR Block doing a job that I effectively just dig on an app, for myself, for free, flawlessly. But hey, Carl at HR Block is “growing the economy” and “providing value” I guess lol.
But people are paying Carl at HR Block and actively making that choice and the minute they figure out they can do it themselves, Carl will lose his job. The public sector employee won't.

FWIW, I don't blame the people in public sector, there's just not a lot of incentive to do a good job and almost no incentive to change the status quo so why bother. Over time that just wears out the "go-getters".
Old 04-17-2024, 11:24 AM   #11866
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
Just get an account, they are free...at least for now
Nothing is free, bud! I don't need Musk tracking me just so I can read tweet replies. I'm good! Now if I could get everyone good to move on to Bluesky...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 12:20 PM   #11867
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

With this budget, we're now spending more money on interest costs on the debt with all the cumulative deficits than we spend on healthcare. And it will only grow.

With interest rates at a 20-year high, Ottawa's cost to borrow has spiked from $20.3 billion in 2020-21 to $54.1 billion in 2024-25.

That means Ottawa will spend more to service its debt than it will on health care this year — and the debt charges will march even higher in the years ahead.
Old 04-17-2024, 12:31 PM   #11868
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
With this budget, we're now spending more money on interest costs on the debt with all the cumulative deficits than we spend on healthcare. And it will only grow.

With interest rates at a 20-year high, Ottawa's cost to borrow has spiked from $20.3 billion in 2020-21 to $54.1 billion in 2024-25.

That means Ottawa will spend more to service its debt than it will on health care this year — and the debt charges will march even higher in the years ahead.
Wow. Who that isn't 'everyone' saw that coming?

No worries. I'm sure that'll balance itself at some point.

You cant spend money like that without at some point understanding that the Bill is eventually going to come due.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 12:46 PM   #11869
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I wonder why they chose 2014 as the zero point? hrmmm...
Even then, it's not particularly abnormal to have that when you have a crisis/recession in the middle where the private sector sheds far more jobs than the public sector does. In the decade prior, (almost entirely under Harper) public sector job growth was 50% faster than private sector growth, which isn't far off what's in that chart.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 01:26 PM   #11870
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nothing is free, bud! I don't need Musk tracking me just so I can read tweet replies. I'm good! Now if I could get everyone good to move on to Bluesky...

Try twstalker. The pop-up ads though are very annoying / nsfw to say the least.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 02:51 PM   #11871
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's unbelievable how bad the budget is.

Things are going poorly, everyone knows things are going poorly - and their answer is to double down on the same failed fiscal strategies that got us into this mess.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 03:02 PM   #11872
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
No they can not.

It is the average domestic investor.
I'm going to assume you are correct.

In any event, I'm in favor of a tax that makes it less attractive for anyone (be it a person or a company, domestic or foreign) to own multiple properties, without being onerous on those who only own the one they live in. What are your thoughts on the idea?

Building new homes to increase supply must be a part of any solution to this housing crisis. But this alone won't solve it. The crisis likely won't subside as long as deep-pocketed investors see the real estate market as a way to make an easy buck.

Quote:
Wouldn't that be pretty easy to dodge by keeping real estate in separate corporations?
I'm not seeing how a tax dodge would work in this case. Set it up such that for every property in Canada, tax on it must be paid, or the property is seized.

Last edited by Mathgod; 04-17-2024 at 03:23 PM.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mathgod For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 03:02 PM   #11873
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Even then, it's not particularly abnormal to have that when you have a crisis/recession in the middle where the private sector sheds far more jobs than the public sector does. In the decade prior, (almost entirely under Harper) public sector job growth was 50% faster than private sector growth, which isn't far off what's in that chart.
I find it hilarious that the media is reporting how bad it has been over the past decade, but when you look at the actual graph as of 2020 growth was exactly the same for both sectors. So really it has only been since the private sector shed all of it's jobs that the government has stepped in to fill the employment void left by the crisis.

If people think things are bad for the economy now, imagine how much worse it could be without those jobs and the economic activity that comes with them. I'd rather have someone working for the government, earning money to circulate, than sitting home unemployed.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 03:19 PM   #11874
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
I find it hilarious that the media is reporting how bad it has been over the past decade, but when you look at the actual graph as of 2020 growth was exactly the same for both sectors. So really it has only been since the private sector shed all of it's jobs that the government has stepped in to fill the employment void left by the crisis.

If people think things are bad for the economy now, imagine how much worse it could be without those jobs and the economic activity that comes with them. I'd rather have someone working for the government, earning money to circulate, than sitting home unemployed.
And I can understand that. Until you look at the Debt Servicing costs the Government is incurring.

Which anyone could have seen coming. If you rack up the Credit Card enough eventually the monthly bill becomes outrageous.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 03:52 PM   #11875
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
It would, and the fact that CRA has hired so many people and the government still is not collecting that money speaks to how useless the CRA is.

Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 03:54 PM   #11876
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So, is this correct? Husband and wife (or whoever) co-own the rental property. Since the capital gain can then be split 50/50, the house will have had to go up more than $500,000 before any change in tax payable under these new rules?
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 04:05 PM   #11877
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
It's unbelievable how bad the budget is.

Things are going poorly, everyone knows things are going poorly - and their answer is to double down on the same failed fiscal strategies that got us into this mess.

As much as I have trouble believing polls, I think this weekends post polls will tell a story. I don't think this budget is a needle mover that the Liberals hoped it would be.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Liberal numbers drop slightly and the NDP numbers drop, just based on Jagmeet making big noise about not supporting the budget, but probably voting with it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 04:12 PM   #11878
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
So, is this correct? Husband and wife (or whoever) co-own the rental property. Since the capital gain can then be split 50/50, the house will have had to go up more than $500,000 before any change in tax payable under these new rules?

I think you might need to get divorced for tax reasons.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 04:14 PM   #11879
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Also the head of GC Strategies Kristian Firth appeared in the house to be admonished and questioned today. He tried to claim mental health illness and delay the questioning and Liberal Steve McKinnon tried to reschedule it.

At the same time the RCMP raided one of Firth's properties in a matter related to a complaint by Botler AI.

story here.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/arr...irth-1.7175408

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 04:19 PM   #11880
kipperiggy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I kept the condo that my wife and I got when we first got married.

66%??!

I guess I'm not selling it after all.

EDIT: Ok I guess it's not as bad as 66% for the whole thing, still... maybe just keep it in case my kid wants to live there some day.
You'll be able to claim the principal residence exemption on some of the years.

For now, anyway.

Thanks AC!
kipperiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kipperiggy For This Useful Post: