Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2022, 11:24 AM   #541
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I don’t see sutter going away from Marky but there are no shortage of examples of nhl teams abandoning their starter in the playoffs and riding their backup.
I know they exist but I'm drawing blanks. What are some situations? I'm wondering if any of those starters a Vezina finalist in that season.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:27 AM   #542
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I know they exist but I'm drawing blanks. What are some situations? I'm wondering if any of those starters a Vezina finalist in that season.
And the backup never started a playoff game in his life.
Old 05-25-2022, 11:28 AM   #543
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Can’t believe how many fair weather fans there are. Y’all are more pathetic than you think the team is.
I don't think you can call fans of a team that have been a huge failure for 31 of the last 32 years fairweather.

I don't think most fans need Stanley cups, but the team showing up would be be nice. I'm definitely planning to dial back my time and money spent on this team, even if they win in 7.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I let this team affect my mood a little too much (in the post season).

Last edited by AFireInside; 05-25-2022 at 11:32 AM.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 11:29 AM   #544
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wasn't Binnington the backup or call up at the time?

Raanta is Anderson's backup in Carolina. Mind you, they're not being given an option.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:31 AM   #545
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Wasn't Binnington the backup or call up at the time?

Raanta is Anderson's backup in Carolina. Mind you, they're not being given an option.

Binnington took the net in the regular season, then obviously was a stud in the playoffs.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:32 AM   #546
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Markstrom post mortem will have to happen in the off-season. You absolutely cannot go to Vladar. Especially since Markstrom has shown some fight back after gaffes. He gets 6million for a reason, you've got to live and die by him.

It really sucks that he had that opening minute gaffe. If that doesn't happen they win that game. You could tell it rattled an already fragile group.

Yeah sure they had 58 minutes to fix it, but it changed the whole complexion of the game. Markstrom gaffe-obligatory Oilers PP......bam 2-0 and they had to chase the rest of the game.

Their 5on5 play was stellar, still some individuals who need to step up, but this group has always been greater than the sum of their parts.

I hate hanging players out to dry but Markstrom was supposed to be the ace in the hole for a Flames team that had one of the best goal differentials in tbe league, the best line in the league and one of the best checking teams in tbe league. The whole idea was "We're going to score enough, we're not going to give up much and if those break down good luck beating Markstrom"

Well those 3 pillars have come crumbling down pretty fast this series.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 11:37 AM   #547
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
I don't think you can call fans of a team that have been a huge failure for 31 of the last 32 years fairweather.

I don't think most fans need Stanley cups, but the team showing up would be be nice. I'm definitely planning to dial back my time and money spent on this team, even if they win in 7.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I let this team affect my mood a little too much (in the post season).
You are going to dial back your time and money if they get to the final 4 of 32? Maybe your expectations are too high.
Old 05-25-2022, 11:40 AM   #548
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
The Markstrom post mortem will have to happen in the off-season. You absolutely cannot go to Vladar. He gets 6million for a reason, you've got to live and die by him.
This mindset feels like conceding.

You have to look past what you're paying him and see the play itself.

Intellectual honesty, as Jay Feaster once put it.

That, and Gaudreau were perhaps the only things he got right.
Old 05-25-2022, 11:44 AM   #549
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
The Kane goal was deflected by his own defenseman. Not a weak goal.
It wasn't tipped directly in front of Markstrom and he wasn't screened. Maybe it wasn't a "weak" goal per se, but it definitely is one that Markstrom would like to have back. Wasn't a good goal to give up.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:44 AM   #550
sss1
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Everyone wants to take a big dump on Markstrom, which is deserved I guess.

But what really stinks for me is the Tanev situation. I have very little confidence that playing him in the top 4 with a mangled shoulder is going to help this team win 3 straight.

I almost don't want him in the lineup at this point.
sss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:45 AM   #551
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sss1 View Post

But what really stinks for me is the Tanev situation. I have very little confidence that playing him in the top 4 with a mangled shoulder is going to help this team win 3 straight.

What? Why.

He played fantastic last night

Not like the Oilers even play physical. Have to be in the bottom 5% of teams in that department.
Old 05-25-2022, 11:46 AM   #552
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
This mindset feels like conceding.

You have to look past what you're paying him and see the play itself.
Vlad is not a particularly good back up goalie.

To beat the Oilers, the Flames likely need their goalie to play at a level that is likely not within Vlad. Playing him would indeed be an act of desperation, and is not Sutter's style.

They will need to die with Marky if necessary.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:46 AM   #553
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Probably not many Vezina finalists who get benched. And I’m sure some didn’t result in a cup run.

Pitt and Fleury/Murray? This is the only one I’m reasonably sure of. Fleury wasn’t playing good and they brought in Murray and won a cup.

Actually I think the Pens did it more than once. I can’t remember who the other backup was.

Washington and Holtby?? I think one year they benched him for a few games and then went back to him. Or started someone else to begin the playoffs and then went back to Holtby.

Montreal and Halak?? Was price hurt?

Carolina and Cam Ward?? Don’t remember the exact circumstances.

Plus some other instances where injuries forced a goalie to play like Pitt and Domingue this year. They lost but he did pretty well.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 11:47 AM   #554
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Just going to reiterate my thoughts from the GDT.

It's just an entertainment product with guys employed by these brands going out and doing their jobs. No point in letting that affect you too much. Also, whichever team wins, any fan that uses that to try shaming a fan of the other team is just showing that they're kind of a twit.

Disappointment is natural, but it's not worth letting get you down. If you're not having fun, forget about it. We're heading into summer. Go enjoy that instead.
This post should be stickied somewhere.

I like hockey for entertainment, but you should never live vicariously though other peoples' successes (and failures).

Fill up your own bucket, then use hockey as some entertainment sprinkles.
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BoLevi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 11:47 AM   #555
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Tanev played very well last night. In fact, Calgary played well enough to win, it really was a 50/50 game.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 11:48 AM   #556
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post

This exactly. Someone doesn't know the definition of fairweather fan. Many of us have been pretty diehard for 15-20 years. We can be upset at what is happening in this series.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 11:48 AM   #557
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Holtby example kinda proves the opposite point.

Caps tried their backup for two games, then quickly went back to the starter, Holtby, and won a Cup.

You ride Marky here.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:49 AM   #558
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Vlad is not a particularly good back up goalie.

To beat the Oilers, the Flames likely need their goalie to play at a level that is likely not within Vlad. Playing him would indeed be an act of desperation, and is not Sutter's style.

They will need to die with Marky if necessary.
13-6-2, 2.75.

He's the best backup we've had since Kipper was briefly a backup in 03.

Where are these make-believe narratives coming from?

The thing i like most about Vlad is his ability to bounce back from period to period too. He's started games iffy and then made saves when he needed late to close them out. He's a good goalie.

This isn't ####ing Joey MacDonald were talking about.
Old 05-25-2022, 11:50 AM   #559
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

I honestly thought Tanev was pretty good yesterday. His presence seems to impact the team positively, despite the injury he used body position really well 5 on 5, he engaged and played his angles at the right times knowing he couldn't do some things physically, his smarts really shined IMO yesterday. Saying all that, I wouldn't play him on the PK where engaging somebody in front of the net and jockeying for position is a constant.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:54 AM   #560
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

nm double post.

Last edited by AFireInside; 05-25-2022 at 12:04 PM.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote