Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2022, 12:03 PM   #561
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
You are going to dial back your time and money if they get to the final 4 of 32? Maybe your expectations are too high.
No that's not really what I'm saying, if the Flames put in a good effort and go out to a better team in any round, it is what it is. I'm saying I let the post season affect my mood too much, and I don't think it's a good thing. I've noticed it more this year than other years. Maybe it ramped up during the pandemic with less things going on, maybe it's because I'm surrounded by Oiler fans , I don't know. I'm probably more irritable than I need to be, and maybe a little more invested than I should be.

What I mean is, probably cancelling sportsnet, and just watch condensed games on youtube, stuff like that. Just dialing it a back a little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
This exactly. Someone doesn't know the definition of fairweather fan. Many of us have been pretty diehard for 15-20 years. We can be upset at what is happening in this series.
I've been diehard since the mid 80s lol.. Been a long grind, something about the playoffs this year has made me far more irritable. I might just dislike the current NHL product a little more than I used to as well.

On the same note, if the Flames get it to 7 I'd be pretty damn impressed, and gladly admit I jumped the gun with being down on the team, win or lose.

Last edited by AFireInside; 05-25-2022 at 12:05 PM.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 12:03 PM   #562
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Probably not many Vezina finalists who get benched. And I’m sure some didn’t result in a cup run.

Pitt and Fleury/Murray? This is the only one I’m reasonably sure of. Fleury wasn’t playing good and they brought in Murray and won a cup.

Actually I think the Pens did it more than once. I can’t remember who the other backup was.

Washington and Holtby?? I think one year they benched him for a few games and then went back to him. Or started someone else to begin the playoffs and then went back to Holtby.

Montreal and Halak?? Was price hurt?

Carolina and Cam Ward?? Don’t remember the exact circumstances.

Plus some other instances where injuries forced a goalie to play like Pitt and Domingue this year. They lost but he did pretty well.
That 2016 playoffs they totally went with Murray, who only played 13 regular season games, after Fleury struggled in the playoffs. I recall that there was issues in some of the previous years that Fleury couldn't hack it in the playoffs anymore. They even used Zatkoff in the playoffs that year. Murray took the reigns and ran with it.

The next year Murray and Fleury split time in the playoffs.

Washington went with Grubauer for the first two games after Holtby struggled during that regular season. They wound up going back to Holtby midway during the 2nd game. Holtby re-found his game and they won. So that won was the opposite.

Halak and Price split duties that year with the slight edge of games going to Halak. Price wasn't given the reigns as the sole #1 until the next season. I think they just went with the hot hand that year.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:06 PM   #563
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shesterkin was an absolute disaster in round one when they were down 3-1 to the Pens...they kept him in and it paid off

can go both ways
Old 05-25-2022, 12:08 PM   #564
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Shesterkin was an absolute disaster in round one when they were down 3-1 to the Pens...they kept him in and it paid off

can go both ways
This is the thing that gives me pause.

Didn't like the go ahead goal but markstrom played more or less how we need him to in the final 40.

Can't afford a 1st period whoopsie again though.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:09 PM   #565
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
The Kane goal was deflected by his own defenseman. Not a weak goal.
Fans don’t understand how a stick deflection at the point of contact can fool a goalie. Goalies often don’t, and even can’t react to a shot once it leaves the stick at NHLer speed. They react to the angle of the blade of the stick and the shooter’s body. The deflection changes all that. It’s like how a knuckleball can fool a batter who is reading the delivery.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:11 PM   #566
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
This is the thing that gives me pause.

Didn't like the go ahead goal but markstrom played more or less how we need him to in the final 40.

Can't afford a 1st period whoopsie again though.
He made a save and barely let out a rebound...Kylington didn't do his job and let Nuge between him and the goalie with time to roof the puck.
Old 05-25-2022, 12:15 PM   #567
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I’m indifferent to the goalie thing.

I am unsure why there isn’t maximum urgency by every line though and why they aren’t out hustling, out hitting, out working every inch of ice given their current position. Based on last night, I think Backlund and a handful of others seemed to be the only one(s) busting ass and quite frankly? You don’t deserve to move on if you aren’t willing to do what it takes.

They did it against Dallas, haven’t for 2-3 games now. Not sure why, but ultimately the skill level between these teams does not afford either one to do any coasting whatsoever, and this series is pretty much about who wants it more and right now? Sure looks like it’s Edmonton.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:20 PM   #568
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Toffoli can, without a doubt, be more dangerous offensively.

This guy co-led the Habs run a year ago. Where's that moxy with the puck?

On paper, all the Flames moves this year should make them more formidable in terms of their depth.

Incredible how time and time again, our moves to bolster the roster for playoffs don't pay off, despite being objectively good, calculated moves from afar.

In practice, just doesn't come together and click like you'd expect.
Old 05-25-2022, 12:21 PM   #569
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I’m indifferent to the goalie thing.

I am unsure why there isn’t maximum urgency by every line though and why they aren’t out hustling, out hitting, out working every inch of ice given their current position. Based on last night, I think Backlund and a handful of others seemed to be the only one(s) busting ass and quite frankly? You don’t deserve to move on if you aren’t willing to do what it takes.

They did it against Dallas, haven’t for 2-3 games now. Not sure why, but ultimately the skill level between these teams does not afford either one to do any coasting whatsoever, and this series is pretty much about who wants it more and right now? Sure looks like it’s Edmonton.
Yeah, not sure why there’s so little pressure on their D. The Backlund line and, to an extent, the Lewis line, have don it successfully.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:23 PM   #570
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really want the Flames to come back and win the series but the way things are going whoever advances will be getting absolutely crushed.

Pacific bracket

Calgary
Edmonton
LA
Dallas

It's kinda a joke
I think all these teams have/had a false sense of how good they are right now. Oiler fans think they are a cup contender...they beat the Kings without Doughty and might beat the Flames without Tanev and Markstrom playing absolutely terrible.

Reality check in round three for either team IMO

Flames will need to find their A game to win three straight but if they can't get there it doesn't even matter. B's and C's might keep it close against the Oilers and might even extend the series but not the Avs who are making the Blues look silly.

Last edited by dino7c; 05-25-2022 at 12:26 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 12:25 PM   #571
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Yeah, not sure why there’s so little pressure on their D. The Backlund line and, to an extent, the Lewis line, have don it successfully.
I wonder if the fore checking forwards are a touch more hesitant due to the quick transition of the Oilers leading to successful odd man rushes by the Oilers, so they are playing a more conservative style hoping to dampen the Oilers rush ?

Anyways I noticed the same thing.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:30 PM   #572
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
I really want the Flames to come back and win the series but the way things are going whoever advances will be getting absolutely crushed.

Pacific bracket

Calgary
Edmonton
LA
Dallas

It's kinda a joke
I think all these teams have/had a false sense of how good they are right now. Oiler fans think they are a cup contender...they beat the Kings without Doughty and might beat the Flames without Tanev and Markstrom playing absolutely terrible.

Reality check in round three for either team IMO

Flames will need to find their A game to win three straight but if they can't get there it doesn't even matter. B's and C's might keep it close against the Oilers and might even extend the series but not the Avs who are making the Blues look silly.
The Avalanche certainly do look like the best team, for sure. Calgary is good and can be great though. So that’s what’s frustrating.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:31 PM   #573
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Easily the weakest division/line up of playoff contestants.

And I don't think its close.

Mind you I thought the Flames were far better than they've shown. This series feels kind of meaningless having watched 4 games of it now, because the hockey has been so poor that your gut knows its just two clubs duking it out for the honors of being roadkill to the Avs.

None of the teams from the pacific bracket should feel cocky about their team. This is like the Kiddie's corner, while the adults are playing in the other series.

Colorado is just licking their chops at the path they have now to the finals.
Old 05-25-2022, 12:32 PM   #574
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
I wonder if the fore checking forwards are a touch more hesitant due to the quick transition of the Oilers leading to successful odd man rushes by the Oilers, so they are playing a more conservative style hoping to dampen the Oilers rush ?

Anyways I noticed the same thing.

Not sure if they're hesitant cause they keep getting trapped with 3 forwards way too deep, happened so many times the last couple games... its hard to tell watching on TV but maybe chasing hits too much in the offensive zone?
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:32 PM   #575
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

- The Defense has been exposed They arent really built to go against fast teams like the Oil or Avs unless the refs call the playoff games by playoff rules. Seems like thats not the case anymore. If Tanev is the lynch pin to the whole house of cards there is a problem. He usually is injured every season. I love the guy but you cant build a D around players with that kind of injury history. They need an additional solid top d man that can skate so Tanev doesnt have to be the guy. Doesn't look like Hannifin is it.

- Markstrom has more demons in his head than Mike Smith. Dont even know what to do about it. He is getting better but still we need more 10 bell saves out of him.

- The Offence is playing the perimeter so all teams have to do is just clog the middle and the Flames have very little answer outside of Backlund. They caught teams cheating for offence all season because they were always ahead due to fast starts. When teams actually weather the early storm and get setup in the D zone the Flames have a really hard time to score. Teams such as Dallas and NSh that dont cheat for offence you could see them exploit this classic Flames weakness of having very little net front presence. Doesn't take rocket science to know a better team could exploit that even more. I just didn't believe the Oilers would actually put it all together though.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:33 PM   #576
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

With all this Markstrom talk I find it interesting to see how few here are bringing up Tyler Toffoli's name.

He's been close to terrible this post season, and since this is the PGT it should be mentioned what an incredibly idiotic penalty he took last night. Markstrom's gaffe was bad enough, but you'd like to think/hope the team can rally behind him and get it back. Instead......Toffoli takes a needless, stupid penalty in the neutral zone and the team goes down 2-0. For me that penalty was as much of a turning point in the game as Markstrom's mistake. Toffoli has been brutal.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 12:34 PM   #577
sss1
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
I honestly thought Tanev was pretty good yesterday. His presence seems to impact the team positively, despite the injury he used body position really well 5 on 5, he engaged and played his angles at the right times knowing he couldn't do some things physically, his smarts really shined IMO yesterday. Saying all that, I wouldn't play him on the PK where engaging somebody in front of the net and jockeying for position is a constant.
Yep, you summed it up in that last part.

Watching him on the PK in pain when Hyman (?) scored was painful for me to watch.

Either shelter his minutes and get him out of high risk situations so the team can benefit from his presence OR have him sit out.

That one's on Sutter to handle.
sss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:35 PM   #578
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
- The Offence is playing the perimeter so all teams have to do is just clog the middle and the Flames have very little answer outside of Backlund.
This.

Someone smarter then me can figure out the fancy stats but how little have we touched the puck in the slot or slot area? Its gotta be a record low.

Lots of perimeter passing and cycling, then shots from the point or side boards and thats pretty much our offence at this point.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:38 PM   #579
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Elias taking the puck to the slot is what every goddang forward should be trying to do in the o-zone.

This is the Oilers defense. Have they even tried to test them at defending the middle of their ice?!

Like ffs.
Old 05-25-2022, 12:42 PM   #580
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He made a save and barely let out a rebound...Kylington didn't do his job and let Nuge between him and the goalie with time to roof the puck.
This was talked about during the Dallas series and Oettinger's rebound control "issues". I'm not an expert but I've studied the position: a goalie with good rebound control (i) doesn't give out rebounds (by absorbing the puck or catching it clean), or (ii) puts rebounds in safe areas (in the corners, i.e. not in the middle of the ice where attacking players can pounce).

Sarich mentioned it on 960 this morning (albeit very high level). Goalies are taught to absorb high shots, and they wear extra stiff leg pads so when the puck hits them they go shooting off as fast as they came in. Same with blocker shots -- the goal is to angle them into the corner if you can.

So when Oettinger was shooting out rebounds that the Flames couldn't get to, that was exactly what he wanted to do. The worst rebounds are the soft ones that lay in high danger areas (like the GWG last night). Obviously you can't control every single rebound (you have to stop the shot first and foremost); on the GWG I can't tell if Markstrom would have been able to blocker that puck into the corner, but having it dribble off to the side and lay there waiting to be jammed in is the worst case scenario for a goalie.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post: