Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2019, 02:08 PM   #41
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
If our worst fears are realized and the team gets eliminated in the first round it will be curious to see how Treliving handles the offseason. I'm sure for the past few months most of his work has centered around finding at least one goaltender but I wonder if after seeing the same players wilt as the hockey gets more difficult that he shakes things up once again or maybe he looks at the overall season and thinks they are close and crosses his fingers these guys can finish strong for once? If Monahan can't get out of this funk maybe time to shop him around for an equivalent center that may be more consistent and brings more to the table other than having good hands around the net?
The players are wilting now? Jesus. Not to mention, the hockey hasn't gotten tougher for the Flames, it's gotten easier. I know it's a rarity for us as a fan base, but the games have become less meaningful down the stretch for this team versus what they were earlier in the year.

This narrative that the Flames are performing worse in more meaningful games down the stretch is such garbage. The games mean less for the Flames, and they mean less for a large majority of the teams we have played against because many of those teams are out. Yet somehow we want to spin the narrative that the Flames players are "wilting" under the pressure or under ramped up competition? Nothing could be further from the truth. The Flames best players have been their best players when the games mattered most for this team. Now we get a little weird break until the playoffs starts and the games get really meaningful again for this team.

I'm going to wait until they start playing playoff hockey before I draw any conclusions about how the team is responding to higher pressure games, and if I was to draw conclusions about how our players will respond prior to seeing an actual playoff game, I'd give them the credit they are due for how well they played all year during actually meaningful games for this team.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:09 PM   #42
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
One of the least successful franchises over that time frame. That's not impressive, nor are his point totals, nor are how he accumulates them

I'm glad he realizes himself now that he's quite mediocre
His point totals dwarf Barkov's. Second highest scorer from his draft class (MacKinnon).
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:10 PM   #43
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Didn’t Monahan go into concussion protocol a few games ago? Could he be having some residual effects from the concussion? He does seem off.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:12 PM   #44
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
One of the least successful franchises over that time frame. That's not impressive, nor are his point totals, nor are how he accumulates them

I'm glad he realizes himself now that he's quite mediocre
28th in the league in points. So mediocre.

Your opinion is a joke. Which makes you a joke. You're not very funny though. So a bad joke I guess.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2019, 02:13 PM   #45
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Monahan: "Losing sucks and I'm frustrated with my play"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Cannot quote for some reason but to replace Monahan with a 34 year old Nicklas Backstrom in a few years...

Not sure where you’re getting 34 years of age from, but he’s 31 now and will be a UFA at the age of 32. He’s also managed to stay healthy and produce at a very consistent clip throughout his career in both the regular season and the playoffs without signs of any serious decline.

At the right price and term, I’d definitely take him on my team. He’s one of those players that relies on his hockey iq as well rather than his physical tools, so his career could have a long curve like a guy we watch everyday in Mark Giordano.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:13 PM   #46
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I mean he is ahead of multiple Nieuwendyk seasons, all of Savard's years, all of Conroy's years, all of Langkow's years... not to mention multiple Iginla and Fleury years.

Super mediocre, dude.

First. In. The. Conference. A slump is a slump and there are some things to worry about, but they all pale underneath the indisputable 100000000% fact that there are ZERO teams better than Calgary in the West.
I wonder if you thiught you were typing something impressive with that first part 😹

As for the second. This is an elite roster with a paper-mache 1C. Let's hope his ineptitude isn't the reason that one of the most likely greatest Flame rosters we'll see in our timeline isn't wasted
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:14 PM   #47
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
28th in the league in points. So mediocre.

Your opinion is a joke. Which makes you a joke. You're not very funny though. So a bad joke I guess.
he was top ten going into the all-star break.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:15 PM   #48
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post
His point totals dwarf Barkov's. Second highest scorer from his draft class (MacKinnon).
This should say something to you, but Flame fans are more casual hockey fans than I thought. Barkov is apart of tier of center that Monahan won't ever reach, as is MacKinnon.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:15 PM   #49
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

To get back on track, I thought Monahan had some good jump in the early parts of last game, but Lindholm had to leave for a bit and the other lines were reconfigured in that time and when Lindholm came back, Peters put them back together and it still looked blah.

Here's the thing, there's definitely sound logic in putting your top players out on in the last few minutes when you're down, but one of the luxuries of being a top team is you can make a potentially bold move to send a message. Like keeping your top-3 players on the bench when the game is on the line. Show them you're willing to go without them. Show how it feels to sit and watch those last few instead of being out there. Make them basically beg to be back in that position with their play.

This is a very amateur example, but when coaching youngins a while ago, we had the top team headed into the playoffs. We had a rule that 5 minutes before you are fully dressed and ready. No putting on pads and jerseys while we are talking pre-game. This was slipping as we headed to the end of the season, as were other small detailed issues. In the final game most of team was dragging getting ready, so we decided to put out foot down. We played a full period with 8 players. Parents were screaming at us. The players who were playing were begging for a rest. Nope. Sorry. Your teammates weren't ready to go, take it up with them. We also had to take responsibility for not cracking down on it sooner.

We lost that game, but it didn't matter. The boys made sure each other were ready after that. City Champions a few weeks later.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:17 PM   #50
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
This should say something to you, but Flame fans are more casual hockey fans than I thought. Barkov is apart of tier of center that Monahan won't ever reach, as is MacKinnon.
I was simply addressing your claim that his point totals are not impressive. Which is false. They clearly are.

I do not think he is a better overall player than Barkov. But keep building your strawmen in here.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:17 PM   #51
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan is on a slide for sure, but...this is still his best season to date. He's taken another step or two forward. He hasn't peaked, and everything shows that he's actively improving year over year.

Random side note:

The negativity that follows this team on this board is baffling. I know we're generally hypercritical due to overexposure, but I swear it's hard to tell if this is 2013/2014 or 2018/2019. There's almost no difference in the level of negativity.

One team finished 4th worst in the entire league.

One team is poised to finish 3rd best/tops in the Western Conference.

We should do a better job of enjoying this season, because this is the best one in 30 years.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2019, 02:20 PM   #52
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
This should say something to you, but Flame fans are more casual hockey fans than I thought.
Yikes. Saying stuff like this isn't going to get you far around here.

Also, your critique of Flames fans implies that you aren't one yourself.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2019, 02:20 PM   #53
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
I don't disagree.

But he's just not that player. He's never been that player. Typically from what I'm used to seeing, guys who have never played that way usually can't just flip a switch and do that. He'll be even further out of his comfort zone than he is now.

I think after this many years, we know what we have with Monahan. He's a #1 center but he isn't a physical presence, far from it.
And I understand and expected that response. And I also don’t disagree. He is the player you describe.

I just hope he can evolve and add some gumption to his game. Ala Ryan Getzlaf.

I’m earnestly curious how these playoffs go. Can the Flames win a round (or multiple) without any grit on the top line. Gaudreau veering away from contact on a 50/50. Monahan watching idly as Lindholm gets assaulted in front of the net post whistle.

If Neal doesn’t step up the aggression and compete level for playoffs God help us fans.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:21 PM   #54
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Monahan is on a slide for sure, but...this is still his best season to date. He's taken another step or two forward. He hasn't peaked, and everything shows that he's actively improving year over year.

Random side note:

The negativity that follows this team on this board is baffling. I know we're generally hypercritical due to overexposure, but I swear it's hard to tell if this is 2013/2014 or 2018/2019. There's almost no difference in the level of negativity.

We should do a better job of enjoying this season, because this is the best one in 30 years.
I think it has to do with expectations. Given how good the team is this year, people are looking for them to at least get to the conference finals. Anything less would be more disappointing than any of the previous playoff year disappointments.

We judge this team based on the elite standard they have set for themselves. And they are below that standard at the moment.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:21 PM   #55
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

Random side note:

Don't let the vocal minority let you think that most of us aren't positive and enjoying the season. And don't forget to report the trolls, they make it seem a lot more negative in here than it really is.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2019, 02:23 PM   #56
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Not sure where you’re getting 34 years of age from, but he’s 31 now and will be a UFA at the age of 32. He’s also managed to stay healthy and produce at a very consistent clip throughout his career in both the regular season and the playoffs without signs of any serious decline.

At the right price and term, I’d definitely take him on my team. He’s one of those players that relies on his hockey iq as well rather than his physical tools, so his career could have a long curve like a guy we watch everyday in Mark Giordano.

It's so ironic that you bring up a 31-year-old Nik Backstrom as a viable replacement for the supposedly deficient 24-year-old Sean Monahan considering the fact that Backstrom's ability and tenacity to win was openly questioned before he finally managed to win a Stanley Cup last year.

God, the direction of this discussion is mind-numbing. To return to the topic of Monahan's comments, I think he is saying all the right things. He wasn't great last night but he was most definitely better than in the LA game, and I think that is a step in the right direction. The playoffs don't start for two weeks yet. There is still time for this story to change dramatically before 10 April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:25 PM   #57
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
God, the direction of this discussion is mind-numbing
Yep. Any time Love posts his drivel about Monahan the level of discussion nosedives. One of the most successful trolls of the past year IMO.
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2019, 02:25 PM   #58
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
If we had Barkov / Drai and still got Chucky, we'd be Tampa tier. Honestly better

Wouldn’t have been inconceivable. Draisaitl didn’t break out till 16/17 and Barkov 15/16. Maybe they could’ve added Chuck, maybe not. But regardless, a potential Selke level 90 point #1 center and an offensive force like Draisaitl as your #2 center would be lethal. Backlund would be an elite #3 center as well. That’s an envious group up the middle.

Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:27 PM   #59
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Word salad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2019, 02:27 PM   #60
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote: