Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2019, 02:58 PM   #261
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
Other than the High Danger part that reads like something we would've seen last year under GG
Luckily our record affirms it
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:21 PM   #262
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just can't bring myself to worry.

A scoring slump sucks, but those always pass. High scoring teams just don't turn into low-scoring teams middle of the season.

Yes, already playing your best hockey is preferable to being a bit meh when going into the playoffs, but if there's something typical to the playoffs, it's that things get reset.

Compared to our previous fear of going into the playoffs with iffy goaltending, I'll much rather have a scoring slump.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:24 PM   #263
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, and if Bishop is injured, that pretty much drops Dallas off the list of dangerous teams.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:43 PM   #264
Freddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

After couple days to digest the LA & Dallas games I believe the Flames excel playing an aggressive style when infractions are called tight. As the season winds down teams know if they have the chops to dictate the game or (the majority) accept that they have a better chance of winning trapping, interfering, and capitalizing on fewer chances. I feel the Flames have been designed by Treliving to be a modern, fast, aggressive team whose strategy is to dictate play. This is year 1 of our young core blossoming into their primes, so if this years Flames stumble into the playoffs i think as fans we will see who the real playoff gamers are and who isn’t. And I have faith Treliving will tweak tirelessly to get better.
Optimistically I think the Flames looked like the better team in both LA & Dallas and both goalies still look solid and ready for the playoffs. This team has defied the odds so many times over the season I’m not about to write off the 1st line or Monahan, these are just part of the end & flows of a 82+ game season.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2019, 10:05 PM   #265
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Going against most people but Anderson skating is below average. I am fearful of him as a 82 game top 4 as he loses most foot races. Its painful to watch. Esoecially since his IQ is so high, that if his skating was better he could dominate. But his stride is very ugly.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:06 PM   #266
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Rasmus is not that fast but footraces are awfully rare in the NHL. An intelligent defenseman who can play angles and anticipate well will do fine.

I have been very happy with him this year but not yet ready to anoint him as a top 4 defender. Solid first year though IMO.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2019, 11:15 PM   #267
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
^ Rasmus is not that fast but footraces are awfully rare in the NHL. An intelligent defenseman who can play angles and anticipate well will do fine.

I have been very happy with him this year but not yet ready to anoint him as a top 4 defender. Solid first year though IMO.
How are foot races rare? Teans dump the puck in on D all the time on a forecheck. Only reason this isnt exploited more is both Calgary goalies can play the puck well.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:17 PM   #268
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

This two game losing streak feels like and eternity...Flames need a win to save CP from itself
Old 03-28-2019, 11:39 PM   #269
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
This two game losing streak feels like and eternity...Flames need a win to save CP from itself
Most of the top teams in the west are currently on losing streaks and appear to be in coast mode heading into the playoffs. Flames, Jets, and Knights have each lost their last 2 games, while the Sharks are a complete dumpster fire.

Meanwhile, lower seeded teams like Dallas, Colorado, and Chicago are all playing decent hockey lately, as they're all desperate to either get in, or hang onto their spots. Even a garbage team like the Ducks are 6-3-1 in their last 10.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 12:43 AM   #270
GeoRock
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Most of the top teams in the west are currently on losing streaks and appear to be in coast mode heading into the playoffs. Flames, Jets, and Knights have each lost their last 2 games, while the Sharks are a complete dumpster fire.

Meanwhile, lower seeded teams like Dallas, Colorado, and Chicago are all playing decent hockey lately, as they're all desperate to either get in, or hang onto their spots. Even a garbage team like the Ducks are 6-3-1 in their last 10.
!Ducks
GeoRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GeoRock For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2019, 01:55 AM   #271
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The scoring slump won't last, period.

In fact it's probably incredibly foolish for any one to write off SJ or CGY right now, given that all it takes is for them to find their legs on the eve of game 82 for that long run to be back on the table in either case. And this slump is still pretty tiny and the guys are by no means getting outplayed. Timing is everything and who's slumping and who's thriving seems to be fluctuating every few weeks.

Reminds me of people having concerns or getting hyped up (oilurrrs) in preseason only to be hugely surprised when regular season starts. We just don't know what will happen after the reset happens. But we will get a good idea of which players are made for playoffs (rise to the occasion) and which will treat it like an extension of the season here.

I'm excited to see if Bennett continues to live up to his reputation of elevating his play in the big show. Seems to be good for a few big goals when the games are most important.

Monahan and Gaudreau have also been strong contributors in playoffs, despite people having concerns that they'll disappear under tight checking.

It's all a wait and see game now, and whatever goes on in this last stretch will still be "yesterday's news" when the puck drops on that 16 win tournament.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2019, 02:18 AM   #272
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRock View Post
!Ducks
**** the Ducks!
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2019, 09:36 PM   #273
Vox
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_in_Canada View Post
After the game.
Anyone else feel bad for the kid standing on the red carpet, waiting to meet the Flames star of the game only to see Gio step on the ice, do a button hook turn throwing the stick over the glass at the blueline and going back down the tunnel.
Poor little guy must've been standing there for a minute before being ushered away. Empty handed.
For what it's worth, Gio reached out to the Kid himself and made it right.
Vox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vox For This Useful Post: