Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2019, 12:22 PM   #1
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Apologies to Andrew Mangiapane

He didn't register a point until NHL game #19
He didn't score his first goal until NHL game #27

After that kind of start, I definitely didn't think he was going to carve out much of a full-time role on this team. While he wasn't playing horribly, the results just weren't happening.

Then, on February 9th against the Canucks he scored his 1st goal and the turn-around was initiated. From that game forward, for 20 games its been a different story. He's scored 6 goals (8 points) for a 25 goal full season pace, managed a +7 rating, all while playing an average of 11 minutes a game primarily on the 3rd and 4th line with little to no PP time.

I'm not sure we're looking at an NHL 25 goal scorer, but we're definitely looking at a valuable member of our current bottom 6 who I now believe is here to stay.

Apologies to Andrew. The bread is rising.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 77 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
---Hatrick---, Anduril, automaton 3, badger89, BBQorMILDEW, BeltlineFan, Beninho, BigFlameDog, burn_this_city, bzoo02, Captaincanada80, Cheese, chummer, cofias, ColoradoFlamesFan, corporatejay, cral12, Cycling76er, D as in David, DaQwiz, DazzlinDino, Deegee, dino7c, DropIt, dying4acup, Enoch Root, Flames_F.T.W, flame^thrower, foofighter15, Francis's Hairpiece, Gaudfather, getbak, Gondi Stylez, Groot, GullFoss, Hey Connor, It's Mess, IliketoPuck, Inferno099, It's a great day 4 hockey, jayswin, jeffporfirio, Jetfire, kbvall, Kipper is King, KipperFaNaTic, KipperRules, kkaleR, Krynn, Lil Pedro, looooob, Loudog, M*A*S*H 4077, mccalgary71, mivdo, MrMike, Nandric, ozzy, Phaneufenstein, Radio, redflamesfan08, robertsfanatic, Robo, Savvy27, Scroopy Noopers, skudr248, SmoggyFlamesFan, SnipeShow, spuzzum, Stringer Bell, Textcritic, the2bears, TheScorpion, the_only_turek_fan, topfiverecords, tvp2003, wired, ynwa03
Old 03-22-2019, 12:24 PM   #2
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
He didn't register a point until NHL game #19
He didn't score his first goal until NHL game #27

After that kind of start, I definitely didn't think he was going to carve out much of a full-time role on this team. While he wasn't playing horribly, the results just weren't happening.

Then, on February 9th against the Canucks he scored his 1st goal and the turn-around was initiated. From that game forward, for 20 games its been a different story. He's scored 6 goals (8 points) for a 25 goal full season pace, managed a +7 rating, all while playing an average of 11 minutes a game primarily on the 3rd and 4th line with little to no PP time.

I'm not sure we're looking at an NHL 25 goal scorer, but we're definitely looking at a valuable member of our current bottom 6 who I now believe is here to stay.

Apologies to Andrew. The bread is rising.
The C of Bread Rises Again
Phaneufenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 83 Users Say Thank You to Phaneufenstein For This Useful Post:
1Nite, Acey, Anduril, BeltlineFan, BigFlameDog, Bunk, burn_this_city, bzoo02, calf, Captaincanada80, Cole436, corporatejay, cral12, CrazyCaper, CRXguy, Cycling76er, DaQwiz, DazzlinDino, Deegee, Delthefunky, Dion, dissentowner, djsFlames, EldrickOnIce, Fan69, FBI, FFFLife, FlamesNation23, flame^thrower, foofighter15, Francis's Hairpiece, Funkhouser, Gaudfather, GoinAllTheWay, Gondi Stylez, GranteedEV, GullFoss, Hey Connor, It's Mess, Hockey-and_stuff, HockeyPuck, iggy_oi, IliketoPuck, indes, Itse, jayswin, jeffporfirio, Jiggy_12, Kasi, kermitology, kkaleR, Loudog, Loyal and True, M*A*S*H 4077, Mattman, mdubz, memphusk, MrMike, Nsd1, OldSam, Parallex, Plett Me Tell You, puckedoff, Redliner, Robo, rogermexico, Sainters7, shogged, skudr248, Slacker, smiggy77, SmoggyFlamesFan, SnipeShow, Spinach, Star-Lord, Textcritic, the2bears, TheCommodoreAfro, TheScorpion, Toonage, tvp2003, Tyler, Vinny01, You Need a Thneed
Old 03-22-2019, 12:26 PM   #3
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was quick to give up on him. I hoped he could try again with better results but I didn't think he was going to make a difference in the NHL. He is.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:28 PM   #4
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Also doubted his potential a little. But he's been really hot of late and I hope he can maintain this pace. It'd be sweet to have another unheralded homegrown player in the top-9.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:29 PM   #5
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mangiapane has been given opportunities this year, and has taken complete control of them. He will be a major player in the playoffs IMO.

Gone are the days where a 4th liner was only there to punch faces or grind away mercilessly. Skill and talent are inherent requirements of any player in the NHL, and that has helped players to get up the ranks.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:29 PM   #6
Hi-Psi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've had high hopes for him for a while and I'm glad he's coming into his own now! This team in general has been full of surprises all year and it's great to see!
Old 03-22-2019, 12:30 PM   #7
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I thought he was a tweener - one of those guys that would produce really impressive numbers at the AHL but unable to translate to the NHL.
Happy to be dining on some of that sweet delicious crow.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 12:34 PM   #8
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

if he can keep improving, I think he could be a real player, not just a bottom 6 guy.

hell of a shot, good hockey sense, quick, tenacious.

Not the biggest, most physical, guy, so maybe in more of a 2nd line role (in a few years if he keep progressing) he might be even more dangerous - playing on a more skilled less physical/grinder line.
Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:35 PM   #9
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

what a great nickname.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:36 PM   #10
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I posted awhile back that I thought he was the second coming of Mathew Lombardi. Lots of tools, no toolbox.

I take it back. I like bread, and I also like Mangiapane.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:36 PM   #11
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

C of Bread. So perfect.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:36 PM   #12
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

What I like is that although he gets worked on the boards (often found falling down), the guy is relentless. He doesn't retaliate, just gets up and hounds the puck again. His skill is where he shines but he isn't afraid either
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:42 PM   #13
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

That tiny bit of a toe drag to avoid the defenders (Harpur) stick so he could snipe last night was quite a treat to watch.

Let's face it, if you switch Reider with Mangiapane they would be in the playoffs and we wouldn't be.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 12:44 PM   #14
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Someone needs to add flames to this for when he scores

Last edited by Funkhouser; 03-22-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:47 PM   #15
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Have to admit, I was feeling similar, at least for this season (felt with time, he might carve out a role in future seasons).

Same goes for me and Garnet Hathaway, so I gotta apologize to 2/3s of our stellar 4th line.

I'll state the obvious again, but loved the potential of the depth that Tre assembled in the offseason, but it has turned out to be even more than I anticipated on both front end and the back end. When/if all get healthy, of course, there are some (positive) difficult decisions to be made.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:49 PM   #16
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm happy for eat bread. Being a late round pick makes it an even better story. The coaching staff deserves credit as well. Magiapane, Hathaway, Andersson, Kyllington and Valimaki have taken big steps this year.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 12:50 PM   #17
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Did we know that he was at the Coyotes rookie camp in 2014?

Old 03-22-2019, 12:50 PM   #18
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Oh man, he really is the new Giordano now.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:54 PM   #19
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Goes to show how impatient the fan base can be with guys
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:56 PM   #20
Iniggywetrust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by Iniggywetrust; 03-22-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Iniggywetrust is offline   Reply With Quote